Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think of this guard x interior and paintwork treatment?

I had a search on Google and couldn't find much information about it. From what I can tell it's a kind of permanent wax.

I'd be glad to hear your opinions on it!

Is it applied at factory when built or via the dealer?

Cheers
Ash

·
Registered
87 Posts
It is a dealer addition and their opportunity to make £££. I am sure the knowledgeable will be along to suggest alternatives (including diy) but I believe the consensus is - avoid. Not because it is necessarily rubbish, but because it is very poor value for money. GardX by the way...

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
I agree wife had hers a glazed. To be fair when the autoglaze man came he could tell as his sucker wouldn't stick BUT I thought it v pricey so got on ebay. Bought the whole kit, leather cloth and carpet seal paint seal and glaze for £8 Inc p n p. Looks like application could be hard work ie two goes at polishing. So the dealer cost of £400 would be Labour and profit. Similar stuff is available Eg auto glym lifeshine. Cheap on ebay too. I like polishing cars though!

One mini we had had been done but we refused to pay for it so we just didn't get a certificate to say it had been done. Didn't care though!
On a downside the dealer said it would help protect against bird poo but they seem to still mark the midnight black even if I get it off as fast as Poss!!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Could get a new car detail for similar money no doubt. And there's the option of glass coatings that will last maybe 2 years as opposed to incorrectly prepped and applied gard x which will be gone within 6 months I guarantee.

Head over to detailingworld.co.uk, have a search for gard x, or lifeshine. If your confident to polish and wax the car yourself look at stuff like Collinite it's a very durable wax

·
Registered
177 Posts
I went for the Gen3 Glasscoat, which was applied at the factory, I think. It bonds to the paint, apparently, and also comes with a 5 year guarantee. I think that was £500. The finish is terrific on my Blazing Red, and the dirt almost slides off the car when you wash, especially the alloys. You can polish if you like, but apparently it mars the finish. If it does last 5 years it will be good value.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I applied Gtechniq, for less than £100. Quite a few different bottles for alloy wheels, paint, windows, plastic trim, and the carpet/cloth/leather seats.

I washed the car for the first time, after doing 800 miles, and it must have been one of the easiest car washes I have ever done. The mud, dirt, traffic film/flys came off so easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts