Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well for someone who gave as much help as I could where it was needed, I now need some of my own. This is just a one off appearance folks, I'd like to thank in advance any help anyone can offer because I am literally baffled confused and totally lost with the Mini. I'm going to keep this as short as possible but I will end up writing away I think, forgive the length of the thread.

From the first few days my media player has frozen/crashed and it has carried on intermittently.

I cannot predict when the media player will stop working. When it stops it displays the characteristics of a typical system that needs to reboot - the only thing is there is no definition of how to reboot and why it happens in the first place and Mini cannot find anything. For a while this happened for a day or two at worst and Mini have always blamed me, the phone and the cable.

On that note I have the iPhone 5, black USB to lightning Amazon cable (sometimes the white Apple one).

Lately, I had a scenario where the media player crashed for three weeks sandwiched between a few days apart - I took it back with my disgust and asked them to look into it - Again I didn't receive the help I needed and the time has come on that point to put my foot down once and for all.

It has presently crashed and stayed crashed and I cannot play any music - I can't take it back because I am away but I have taken photographs/filmed it.

The problem is this issue has coincided with others.

I have 4 separate sounds in the car. One sound has been fixed it was a wrong washer bottle part - (don't ask). The other sound has been found and apparently fixed - I need to drive it more - left hand door seals (yes, shocking after 8 months built from new). The other two sounds are - the car rattles from the left side on different surfaces and doesn't on others. Then I have a jingle type sound right behind me on my drivers side. I am lost because they keep on saying it's the belts when it clearly isn't.

3. Build quality.
Shocking. The back bumper seems tighter to one side of the back plastic arch than the other, both sides which align with the arch and the main body panel have paint finish issues, which have resulted in a chip like finish on the right and on the left it seems its about to happen anytime soon.

I'm not here for any sympathy, those that know will know that I had a huge problem with my A5 before this and that mentally and physically tired me out. Now it seems the Mini is going the same way. I would like the issues resolved satisfactorily or else I will have no choice to reject the car - and that is the issue - I find it difficult now to drive it - the media player is unpredictable - the DAB radio too - I forgot to mention it has crashed once for 2 days and now losing signals in places it never lost signal - (very disheartening on top of everything else). The other problems are just a joke - the car was fine for 5 months and now they are coming one after the other - so I have allowed three months and more than three occasions for the car to be dealt with and to be accordingly fixed but it's always a half baked job - I must mention the car has been dealt with at the local dealership but it will now go back to the main dealership.

I am again in a rock and a hard place and it's not a nice place to be - if any one can help on the media/radio issues please do - if anyone can help on the other issues please do - any help, any advice, will be as always much appreciated.

Thanks for your time and patience.

·
Registered
45 Posts
1) Did the dealership load the software update on your system? I believe the update was released in December or some time around December.
2) On what exact places are the rattles? Somewhere around the left side is a big area. (Isn't it the headrest or B-pillar?) Rattles are hard to find of you can't say a approximate spot.
3) Bumper fitting shouldn't be hard for the dealer to fix.. The plastic trim is a known issue, check if they are clipped in OK. Where is the paint chipped? Depending on the place it could be a faulty paint job.
DAB radio has some issues with sometimes have no signal (it's the technology and signal coverage), I don't know the details..

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MiniCooper

I have been told yes - 'It's up to date' That was in March

Can't determine this - the only thing I can say is as I have described - certain surfaces are fine certain surfaces it's a prolong rattle vibration etc etc - it stops it starts it stops it starts - too many variables to pinpoint - I'm maybe thinking something to do with the suspension somewhere - no idea

The offer was for it to be touched up- therefore it's going back to parent dealership - that's not on - it seems faulty paint job - I've seen it on other F56's

The latter point i respect - but if the DAB radio is losing signal where it never was then that doesn't make any sense...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Strange about the software. I haven't heard of problems with the system...
Vibrations can be caused by loose wiring in the doorpanel, rattles in the seats, head rests, etc. I can't say anything.. It's a "search & resque" mission. Only experienced workers can hear where the rattle is.
Maybe the DAB is coherent with the system crashing?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Your problems sound very similar to those experienced by "The Scotsman" with his sound system and other build issues.

I don't think he had much satisfaction from dealers either, but he has not contributed for a while, at least I have not noticed any posts from him, so I am not sure if he has had his problems rectified by software upgrades, or whatever, or not.

I have read that S models basically firmer suspension than other Minis could cause built quality issues that other Minis don't exhibit, after a while.

Don't know if that is true or not but my non S has no bodywork or trim rattles at all after a year, with normal suspension and 16in wheels.

The Mini body stiffness is not as strong as it could be, I have noticed the doors shut differently when the car is jacked up which means the body is flexing a little. I have not noticed that before on other cars I have owned.
That could also encourage the development of trim or panel rattles, over time.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
I'd say if all software is latest you at least demand a brand new and replacement head unit Gokart-there's def a thread on here or one of the other mini sites that has had that! easy fix but you might need to get insistant!
J

Reactions: GoKart7

·
Registered
26 Posts
1. In response to the media player freezing, if you press and hold the volume/power button for about 25-30 seconds it should reboot the entire system. You can do this at any time while driving. When I reboot mine it is usually good for several days, but other times I'll have to reboot it every time I restart the car... I work for a MINI dealer and there is still no official "fix" from MINI yet. It has been attributed to the quickly changing cell phone software updates and iOS bluetooth interface.

no rattles is my MINI so I can't be of any help there....and no bumper issues either

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi mate, thanks for the reply folks.
Wow. I haven't heard of so many issues arising on one car. I feel for you, but I don't have any answers. If you removed all your personal data and tried the already mentioned reboot method, you might run into some luck. But we too are having connectivity issues with the system and the only thing we can think of is all the updates that are happening with the iPhones and Androids.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow. I haven't heard of so many issues arising on one car. I feel for you, but I don't have any answers. If you removed all your personal data and tried the already mentioned reboot method, you might run into some luck. But we too are having connectivity issues with the system and the only thing we can think of is all the updates that are happening with the iPhones and Androids.
Thank you for the reply [email protected]

Unfortunately everyone has been at a loss which has led me to reject the car and we are in talks in trying to come to some sort of agreement therefore I think this car will end up a lemon and be worked upon accordingly in order to satisfy technical regarding the issues for a clear understanding on what these problems are and the appropriate fixes.

Thank you all again for your words - GK7 out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts