Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is just over a month old and I thought about time I polished it. I used Meguiar's nxt generation liquid tech wax 2.0.

After polishing I noticed a number of light scratches on the sides of the black roof. They are really only visible at certain angles under fluorescent light but more obvious now the car has a mirror finish.

I suspect this was due to dealer washing with bad, old or dirty brushes?

I assume the best treatment would be something like Meguiar's scratch x 2.0. Has anyone else had this problem, or success removing? I might say I'm glad the whole car isn't black as no doubt there are similar light scratches and just not visible on moonwalk grey.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yea I have small fine scratches too. It's because the black roofs are non metallic that you notice more. You could try a home remedy like scratch X, or you could pay a detailer to do it properly but after doing it you will want to wrap the car up in cotton wool and will be scared to touch it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Heh, yes before I try the cotton wool wrapping I'll try the Ultimate Compound as seems to be recommended for black cars after a quick search around. I'll let you know if it works. At least while it's relatively new it should be scratch-free ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
You gotta be very careful when cleaning the black roof.
Also apparently the black pillar trim on the Minis is very prone to marks.

I try and be very careful when cleaning and only use microfibre cloths in a downward straight line when doing these (no swirly movements).
I had a white roof before on my previous Mini, but went for the black roof this time and I must say it looks gorgeous when cleaned.

However I am paranoid when cleaning the car particularly the black roof and trims.
I find a prewash helps to remove a lot of dirt before shampooing.
I use valet pro citrus wash diluted about 8-1 in a pump sprayer and go all over the car first and leave it to dwell for 5-10 mins whilst I get the buckets, hose and the rest of the wash gear together.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It doesn't matter what colour the car is, but, black is more prone to showing up 'swirl marks'.
The biggest cuplrit is, as some have mentioned is dirty cloths, but also sponges, they trap grit.
Buy a decent lambs wool mit, about £15, but looked after it will last years.

As for wash procedure:
I power wash of the loose stuff.
Then I use a foam wash, diluted between 5 and 10 to 1 in a pump sprayer
Leave for 10 mins, wash off, then bucket wash.
The towel dry.

All my cloths are colour coordinated for glass, polish and wax. (no matter how hot you wash them, once a cloth as been used for wax its no good for anything else.

Reactions: anthonys

·
Banned
122 Posts
My car is just over a month old and I thought about time I polished it. I used Meguiar's nxt generation liquid tech wax 2.0.

After polishing I noticed a number of light scratches on the sides of the black roof. They are really only visible at certain angles under fluorescent light but more obvious now the car has a mirror finish.

I suspect this was due to dealer washing with bad, old or dirty brushes?

I assume the best treatment would be something like Meguiar's scratch x 2.0. Has anyone else had this problem, or success removing? I might say I'm glad the whole car isn't black as no doubt there are similar light scratches and just not visible on moonwalk grey.
What is your detail procedure? Do you just wash and wax?
Or
Do you wash, clay, prep and wax/seal?

Honestly, and I really mean no offense, if you are using Meguiar's and the stuff you get from the big box stores you may be doing the scratches yourself. Meguiars IMO is not that good of a product line. It doesn't compare to some of the nicer quality brands like Wolfgang, Klasse, or Einszett. You could be also subjecting your paint to inferior microfibers and cloths.

Try visiting Autogeek.net, purchasing some higher end products, and you may notice less scratching and better paint protection over the life of the vehicle.

Plus

With a better quality product, you actually use less and it lasts longer, which really makes it cheaper than the big box store stuff.

·
Registered
966 Posts
After 1 month it would be very difficult to say/prove that it was the dealer who'd caused the scratches. If you've washed it (and several times I imagine) they'll just say it was down to you.

Again no offence, but what is your procedure? My last car was a 12yr old golf gti in jazz blue, a light enough colour that the scratches didn't matter as much.

When I'm washing the cooper it gets pre-rinsed with a normal hose (the karcher is stashed away for the winter) then I'm using a microfiber incredisponge, think it's great and much better than the wool mitt I used before which now gets used on wheels. :D I also work in straight lines, and not a circular motion like I used to especially on the black roof.

If the scratches are very light you could tackel them yourself, but maybe take polarisboys advice and try some different products - polishedbliss are very good and will advise what's best for your situation.

good luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's almost impossible to avoid swirl marks on a black car. That's why my Mini is white! I had a black car for the last 5 years. Granted, my roof is black and I've already decided that when it get's bad enough I'll just put the Black Jack vinyl on the roof.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It's almost impossible to avoid swirl marks on a black car. That's why my Mini is white! I had a black car for the last 5 years. Granted, my roof is black and I've already decided that when it get's bad enough I'll just put the Black Jack vinyl on the roof.
No its not, careful washing with a lambswool mitt and you will not get swirlmarks. I have a black roof and I have owned a black JCW Coupe.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Code:

To be fair black shows every every mark.I'm mega careful but still get the odd one.just a speck of grit can Do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've never actually washed it. They washed and detailed it when I bought it, then just took it back after 4 weeks for the 2nd wash. After I got it home I used the NXT wax on it and that's why I noticed these tiny scratches. It could have been my technique, but more likely their brush while washing.

They really are tiny, I noticed last night I couldn't see them when I moved the car because the fluorescent light wasn't directly above. I can't feel the scratches either.

I had a Mazda MX5 10 years ago that I used to enter in to concourse etc. It was white and I used to be jealous of how good the black cars could look. I'm now thinking white was probably the best choice!

Back then I had an orbital buffer and did the three step process, but now I don't have time so was just planning on the wash/wax process. Also I thought as the paint is new I wouldn't need to clean or use a clay bar on it?

I don't need to keep it in showroom condition but nice to keep it looking good.

I've already ordered the Meguiars Ultimate Compound so will try that over the w/end. It's probably good enough to remove them for now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No its not, careful washing with a lambswool mitt and you will not get swirlmarks. I have a black roof and I have owned a black JCW Coupe.
I didn't say it was impossible, just "almost" impossible. For the vast majority of people, not enough care is taken to wash or care for a black car. Most people won't use the two bucket method. Most people won't use only certain types of micro fiber cloths with the proper stitching, most people won't use only microfiber waffle cloths to dry . . . So, you'll get swirl marks. It only takes ONE TIME of being lazy and you've got them. Over the lifetime of owning a black car, you will get them. If they bother you, don't have a black car, or at least get black metallic so they are somewhat hidden. Otherwise, get a light colored car and then you just won't notice them as much.

·
Banned
122 Posts
Try rewashing and claying the car. The clay bar will take out very fine scratches.

I would also recommend you get a grit guard insert for your bucket. It helps immensely by keeping the dirt in the bottom bucket.

and as far as everyone else said, black will show everything. If they aren't noticeable from a few feet away then just dust it off. As long as they aren't deep and noticeable, the resale won't be hit too much.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info/replies. Seems like it's a pretty common problem unless you are super careful. I'll just keep the ultimate compound handy and be careful when I wash the roof. It doesn't really both me as I'm the only one that knows they are there. It'd be pretty cheap to respray it in a few years given it's just flat black anyway :)

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Take reasonable care it'll never get that bad.it'll always look superb from a foot away any way!hard not to be too precious as these cars are so lovely but they are there to be used.

Reactions: Sunster
1 - 17 of 17 Posts