Mini Cooper Forum banner

Halogen headlights to xenon headlights

19K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Angib 
#1 ·
I guess these are be swapped. Been giving first refusal on a set of xenons but I doubt if they can be retrofitted in place of the halogens. Any ideas as I'm being clueless here

#2 ·
You are wanting to swap from Halogen to LED? There's a lot of wiring that has to be changed and manipulated as they aren't plug and play. It's a lot of work and will cost more than originally paying the extra 1k to upgrade.

If you're wanting to keep your halogen mirror reflective housing and upgrade to an aftermarket HID, don't. The housing aren't made to distribute the light correctly and can be a hazard to other drivers.

#8 ·
Please note if you swap the bulbs from halogen to HID, you'll have to buy special sets which don't interfere with other electronics (forgot the real name haha). You shouldn't place these "boxes" too close to any other electrical component. Another thing is that halogen works with a reflector and since HID is more powerfull you'll blind any oncoming traffic. Here in Europe the cops don't make a huge deal of it, when you have your lights in lowest setting.

Don't have experience with swapping halogen to HID on a F56, but I wouldn't do it. The car is loaded with electronics which can go haywire...

#9 ·
Please note if you swap the bulbs from halogen to HID, you'll have to buy special sets which don't interfere with other electronics (forgot the real name haha). You shouldn't place these "boxes" too close to any other electrical component. Another thing is that halogen works with a reflector and since HID is more powerfull you'll blind any oncoming traffic. Here in Europe the cops don't make a huge deal of it, when you have your lights in lowest setting.

Don't have experience with swapping halogen to HID on a F56, but I wouldn't do it. The car is loaded with electronics which can go haywire...
HID's also burn so hot they need cooling fans. Otherwise you'll cook everything else in close proximity. Proper kits come with these and self leveling, but of course, they are expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.