Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
1,243 Posts
I would stay away from aliexpress. I ordered four items for my Mini and 3 out of four were complete junk. The only thing I could use was the gas cap cover. Between the mirror covers, side scuttles, and key fob (all unusable) I managed to get a $26 refund out of $125 that I paid for the parts. It took two months to get that settled. I personally, will not spend another dime with them and would not recommend them to anyone else either.

· Registered
149 Posts
It is not a simple swap. You should talk to your dealer and see if it can be done. I did not order the LEDs originally but when I looked into retro fitting I changed the order just in time.

· Registered
844 Posts
I would keep completely away from after market "solutions". Likely to be inferior quality, possibly illegal and/or a nuisance to other road users.

I was followed along a pitch dark road tonight by some clown with an after market "HID" kit and his lights were blinding.

Have you tried better bulbs such as Osram nightbreaker unlimited?

· Registered
149 Posts
I would keep completely away from after market "solutions". Likely to be inferior quality, possibly illegal and/or a nuisance to other road users.

I was followed along a pitch dark road tonight by some clown with an after market "HID" kit and his lights were blinding.

Have you tried better bulbs such as Osram nightbreaker unlimited?
I agree with you. These mods can be dangerous to other road users if done incorrectly. And I was informed that unless fitted proffesionally are illegal in the UK (might be different in Canada though). I still don't know if the LEDs can be retro fitted by mini though.

· Registered
24 Posts
I regret somewhat not getting the led headlights as the halogens are pretty pants but seeing as i cannie go back in time i'll just have to suck it up and put up with the halogens, i have replaced the bulbs and they are "slightly" better.
I would agree with other peoples sentiments with regards to aliexpress, i have had numerous things from them and most have been shoddy quality and i would steer clear to be honest.

· Registered
200 Posts
try upgrading bulbs. I wouldn't start down this road because all I can see are car fires and and insurance company refusing to give payouts. besides in the description of the part it says the " light source" is halogen. might be a whole lot of trouble just to have the same light output but get LED rings. but thats just my lowly opinion

Also it says it fits "f56" models 2004-2015 despite f56 model only being 2014-present and the huge design changes that have occurred throughout those years. there are a whole myriad of reasons why you shouldn't go near these things.

· Registered
508 Posts
For those who have gone with different bulbs like the OSRAM is it actually noticeably brighter in real-life scenarios or is it just a different (whiter) colour temperature?
The UK Osram Nightbreakers (Canuckian market bulbs may be different) I fitted to my R57 were a definite improvement in light output and beam pattern - though to be fair, they only improved the lights from 'bad' to 'poor'.

I can't say I thought the colour was noticeably different, but then whether my headlamp colour is fashionable doesn't interest me. I have this quaint old idea that headlights are for lighting the road ahead, not for looking good in a beauty parade - so I'm in a minority around here....

· Super Moderator
8,904 Posts
i do love my leds for appearance but beam and vision is superb (so i totally agree ANgib, but love them too! ) seems we're not on our own; was looking at the new skoda superb recently, and the upper models-laurent and clement are advertised with cut crystal glass in the beam lenses, as an artistic nod to the czech art of glass cutting that they are famous for!!!!! Your post and this above info really gave me a grin!

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been reading up about the Sylvania Silverstar's. Biggest issue seems to be that they burn out real quick. I'm wondering if this is limited to early production quality control issues or is it normal for this type of aftermarket bulb?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.