Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So Toronto is getting hit with some major snow and sleet tonight. I've been really waiting for this kind of weather because not only do I want to see how my Pirelli snow tires handle but I also wanted to see how my 2016 MINI Cooper handled given I've had the car only a month and four days, and my first MINI.

WOW!

I've never had more fun driving in snow. I did test pushing the limits slightly to see how traction control would kick in and handle the car. Just awesome. I feel more comfortable driving this than my previous car, I think. I am certainly feeling a lot more confident, not so much to be an idiot on the road, but certainly I know I am driving a good car for snow.

If you're driving in snow - definitely get snow tires.

Some other thoughts:
- The LED headlights with adaptive are great in this weather!
- The heating system is amazing! I've never had a car heat up so quickly and clearing the windows so effectively.
- Heated seats, enough said. :D
- The big mirrors really help with blind spots (although that's more general).

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you like the Pirelli then you would be over the moon with the winter handling Nokian Hakepelita 8 studded tires. I have had Toyo, Pirelli, Michelin and Blizacks for winter tires and none come close to the studded Hakepelita 8!

·
Registered
200 Posts
So Toronto is getting hit with some major snow and sleet tonight. I've been really waiting for this kind of weather because not only do I want to see how my Pirelli snow tires handle but I also wanted to see how my 2016 MINI Cooper handled given I've had the car only a month and four days, and my first MINI.

WOW!

I've never had more fun driving in snow. I did test pushing the limits slightly to see how traction control would kick in and handle the car. Just awesome. I feel more comfortable driving this than my previous car, I think. I am certainly feeling a lot more confident, not so much to be an idiot on the road, but certainly I know I am driving a good car for snow.

If you're driving in snow - definitely get snow tires.

Some other thoughts:
- The LED headlights with adaptive are great in this weather!
- The heating system is amazing! I've never had a car heat up so quickly and clearing the windows so effectively.
- Heated seats, enough said. :D
- The big mirrors really help with blind spots (although that's more general).
Shhhhh don't let the Americans think that that picture represents a "major snow and sleet storm" in Canada. That's just a picture of a beautiful summer day here in the great white north :nerd:;)0:)

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Well now I'm excited for the little sprinkle we'll probably get late January. :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just had our first snow and ice fall overnight and I was very surprised at how well the MINI did. And I agree, was probably the most impressed with how fast it heated up and defrosted everything. Everybody at work made me feel like my car was going to end up in a tree but it handled absolutely fine. Everybody here has huge SUVs and pick-ups so it is quite comical to see a tiny MINI in our parking lot.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Just had our first snow and ice fall overnight and I was very surprised at how well the MINI did. And I agree, was probably the most impressed with how fast it heated up and defrosted everything. Everybody at work made me feel like my car was going to end up in a tree but it handled absolutely fine. Everybody here has huge SUVs and pick-ups so it is quite comical to see a tiny MINI in our parking lot.
Can imagine it feels like driving a Smart Car when next to some of the eighteen wheelers you have over there!

Reactions: JPslov

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you like the Pirelli then you would be over the moon with the winter handling Nokian Hakepelita 8 studded tires. I have had Toyo, Pirelli, Michelin and Blizacks for winter tires and none come close to the studded Hakepelita 8!
It's because of the studs. Studded tires really help bite into the hard pack and ice.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Can imagine it feels like driving a Smart Car when next to some of the eighteen wheelers you have over there!
Hahaha. I'm a huge fan of smaller cars and even to me smart cars are too small. The people driving those on the highway here are brave souls lol. The MINI dealership here is right next to a smart car dealership; MINIs don't look too small next to those :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts