Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm going to do a retrofit of the HK amp, speakers and an ASD module. I found a full set on ebay, which doesn't come with the wiring harness, so I have to make my own. (Which is not a problem, since my workplace has all the necessary wires and tools).
I have all the schematics and I put together a spreadsheet with links to Newtis.info on how to wire my specific headunit (will post this here later).

However, I'm having some trouble with finding the correct pins for each connector:
- I'm not sure what pins go into the rectangular slots of this connector: A37*1B
I found somewhere on a BMW forum that this is the correct pin: "Socket contact ELO-Power 2,8x0,63 2,5-4,0 MMІ" part nr 61 13 6913612
But when I look at the pictures, it seems more square than the rectangular holes in the socket housing.

I do have the parts nrs of the covering cap and both socket housings.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Blue or red? Blue aren't socket pins. They're plastic guiding tabs for the socket housing.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blue or red? Blue aren't socket pins. They're plastic guiding tabs for the socket housing.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I'm talking about pins 1-5 and 22-26, red in your picture

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think I found what I need. I had a closer look at the repair manual section of newtis and found this: Link

It seems like it is an "Elo Power 5.2 mm width" connector, which I managed to match to this part nr: 61138364844

·
Registered
56 Posts
Since you're retrofitting HK anyway, i'd suggest that you check this blog post
it's in Russian, but probably google translate can do the trick.
The idea is this guy fitted the Harman Kardon using a BMW amp instead of a MINI amp. Says the sound quality is a lot better since the MINI amp is pretty basic and not good enough for the HK speakers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since you're retrofitting HK anyway, i'd suggest that you check this blog post
it's in Russian, but probably google translate can do the trick.
The idea is this guy fitted the Harman Kardon using a BMW amp instead of a MINI amp. Says the sound quality is a lot better since the MINI amp is pretty basic and not good enough for the HK speakers.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! Might be something for a future upgrade

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys,

Small update:

I almost have all the parts I need. I got the full set of speakers, the ASD module and the amplifier, I also received the A-pillars, centre speaker cover and the rear side panels (which came with the JCW sports interior).

I messed up with the pin terminals though, turns out I ordered the wrong ones. I had a closer look at all the various connectors and I ended up ordering these, which hopefully are now the correct ones:

Small pins:
Socket terminal MQS 0,2-0,35MM²/SN - part nr. 61131383776
Socket terminal MQS 0,5-0,75MM²/SN - part nr. 61131393724

Larger pins:
Socket terminal ELO 2,8X0,63 1,0-2,5MM²/SN - part nr. 61138364838

Will update when I start installing it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys,

today was the second day, it’s taking quite a bit longer than I first thought! I stripped the whole interior yesterday and today I came as far as installing the seat heating and wiring all power and CAN connections on the ASD and amp.

The amp and ASD module show up in esys, however they are missing the CAFD, so I will have to investigate further. I’ll update you on the process!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Day 3!

All the speakers are now wired up and screwed into place. Tomorrow I’m going to do the wiring from the ASD back to the headunit and then I’ll try to figure out what the deal is with the missing CAFD’s. Once that’s done I’ll give it a test to make sure everything is wired correctly and then I’ll put all the pieces of interior back :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guys,

Yesterday I managed to put everything back together and test it out. Most of it is working, however I still have a few things to solve:

• The amp and ASD module are working, but I still can't manage to code them to my car. The ASD sounds like a JCW now, which is way too loud in my opinion haha
  • The seat heating is working, but the buttons are switched (left turns on the right seat and vice versa). I think this has something to do with the addressing on the CAN bus, so I will have to switch the modules under the seats. (My seats came from an RHD car).
  • The left subwoofer is not working, so I'll have to strip some of the interior again to find out what's wrong.
But for now it drives, I have warm buttocks and I have music, I'll have another look on the weekend

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I managed to get the CAFD files injected into both the new modules with the help of shawnsheridan over at bimmerfest.com!

Both show up correctly now in E-sys :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys,

today, I tried tix it all, but unfortunately it didn’t turn out that well 😁

I swapped the seat heating modules, but unfortunately that didn’t change anything. the left button still turned on the right seat heating. So I was thinking, maybe this was a software problem...

I finally managed to fix the problem by FDL Coding the airconditioning unit. There was an option that allowed me to tell the aircon it’s used in a right hand drive car. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only thing I need to fix now is the left subwoofer. I think there’s a problem with the amplifier. I tried a different cable, subwoofer and I verified the subwoofer on the other channel, so it has to be the left sub channel.

Will contact the company I bought it from and report back.

cheers!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys,
It's been a while, but I finally got around to having a closer look at everything. Unfortunately I havent been able to track down the issue\

I ruled out the amplifier as the issue. The shop I bought the sound system from sent me another amplifier to try out, it had the same issue.
I replaced the wiring, still the right subwoofer was way louder than the left. Checked the resistance of all the wires and both subwoofers, but nothing out of the ordinary.
Even swapped the left and right subwoofer, but still the right side was louder than the left. (Which ruled out the subwoofer itself as the issue)

I'm wondering if it maybe is standard behaviour that the left one is less loud than the right one? Is there anyone with a factory installed HK system who can check? You can do that by moving the balance from all the way to the left to all the way to the right.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't know and i don't have H&K, but i think it might make sense since the driver's seat is located closer to left speakers (unless you're in UK, CY or AU) instead of being in the centre.

·
Registered
2020 Moonwalk Grey LCI F56 S (Salt) (Current) / 2006 Pure Silver R53 (Hot Chili) (Former)
22 Posts
Back when I had my R53 with H&K I remember there was an audio setting called Driver, or something like that, which made the sound more "focused" on the driver, I'm guessing some sort of predefined balance value between the speakers. It could be something similar to that?

·
Registered
2019 JCW Hatch
6 Posts
I have the OEM HK system on my '19 Hatch. Played about with it just now - wound the bass up and moved the balance from left to right and I'd say the sub channels are roughly equal volume. It does sound like you have a problem with one of the amp sub channels. Hope you get it fixed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts