Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read on here of some problems with new MINI's from bonnet stripes being "lifted" from buffer machines and swirl marks on new paint, etc....certainly not intentional by anyone at a dealer, but nevertheless it can happen, and apparently does.

My JCW is totally black, and I am thinking of having a professional detailer prep the car when it arrives instead of the dealer. My wife thinks I'm nuts for picking up a brand new car and driving it home with the white protective layers on it!...but, that's what I just might do. Better still, I may just do the prep myself.

Has anyone done their own initial detailing, and if so, what did you use? As I said, I might just tackle it myself...can't be all that difficult. I have two Griot's Garage electric polishers/buffers and plenty of polish and wax...and I can get whatever I need to do it proper....if it takes me a few days, so be it. I'll know it was done right!

The thought of new swirl marks on a brand new black car makes my skin crawl!

Again, this is absolutely not a slam on dealers, especially mine as they've been really great to work with in ordering my car. But, I just don't want my little guy messed with and ask for trouble.

I may have a professional detailer do the work, as an option. But, again, if I do it I'll know every square inch of the car and the prep will be done right!

Any suggestions on what to use?...tips on proper procedure, etc? Any links to videos, etc.? And, btw, my dealer will do everything as far as clean-up and prep "except" detailing the paint.

Thanks (my car is about two weeks out from arrival/pick-up),

John

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey John

If detailing yourself just be careful as the paint is very thin compared to most cars. I thought of doing it myself but in the end I got a professional detailer to do it. Should pick the car up this weekend. Can't wait to see the results on my thunder grey.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I detailed mine as soon as I got it home. But I didn't machine polish, just did it by hand. Mine being VO means any imperfections are less visible than on the black.

I have to admit, the MINI wasn't in too bad nick when I collected it from the dealer. But I know a lot of people who insist their own detailer preps the car but I think that can be a bit of a hassle with most garages.

My OH has a Porsche Boxter GTS and it sends shivers through me seeing their 'odd job man' giving the cars on the forecourt a half wash with a gritty cloth and single bucket. Sackable in my book!

I'm getting mine professionally done next month with GTechniq Crystal Serum ....can't wait to see the results ... no more polishing for me!!!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Our car will be getting machined polished and coated with Car Pro Finest have on the Beemer for 2 years still looks fantastic , but maintenance key to keeping it good lots of good prep as most of the gloss from the prep.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our car will be getting machined polished and coated with Car Pro Finest have on the Beemer for 2 years still looks fantastic , but maintenance key to keeping it good lots of good prep as most of the gloss from the prep.
Derek,

Are you having you new JCW prepped by a professional detailer or at the dealer?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Derek,

Are you having you new JCW prepped by a professional detailer or at the dealer?
In one respect yes as we usually have meets with like minded car guys and all help out to get cars done , also the guy from Car Pro UK is a friend so he will apply coating , but the consumer coating CQUK is on our seat and coat it and wheels myself but all will be done at mine with Detailing Meet:D

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Detailing meet Derek!!!??? Where is this? How come I don't know about it?!!

I'm getting my Crystal Serum done at AM Details in Elgin. Alan's work is top notch :)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Detailing meet Derek!!!??? Where is this? How come I don't know about it?!!

I'm getting my Crystal Serum done at AM Details in Elgin. Alan's work is top notch :)

Crystal Serum appears to be a product over in the UK...never heard of it here in the States. I am thinking of going with the Griot's Garage BOSS system (Best Of Show System). It includes various creams and sealant. I believe it can be done by hand or orbital buffer (which I have already). Autogeek also has some good products.

I am leaning toward just doing the work myself and taking my time.

John

·
Registered
505 Posts
The dealer did a great job on mine and within the first week, I did my own.

If you've seen my previous detailing posts, you know I'm a huge fan of FW1 cleaner wax and all their products. Can't say enough about them. It gets evil off, and it lasts quite a while. Plus it makes the car a bit more slippery, so evil doesn't stick as well. I could go into a lot of details, but here's the biggest endorsement I can give: I had to drive close to 300 miles through some snow squalls and rain (and the subsequent evil on the roads getting alllll over my truck) to my Mini dealer who then did the appraisal on my trade in. I got VERY close to the Truecar trade value on my truck - even with one reasonably significant accident on its record - because it looked so well taken care of... even after that road trip. Bottom line, using FW1 for 6 years on my truck got me about $1500 extra on my trade in for my Mini... which almost immediately was sprayed with the stuff when I got it home and the weather permitted heh.

And I'm pretty happy with their interior products too!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
O2 have the dealer take the plastics off, just to make sure there aren't any flaws in the paint etc..
Ha! I was actually thinking of that myself..."like minds"! I think I will instruct them to do that...I don;t really relish the thought of driving home with the white protectorant plastic on anyway!

Thank you for making me feel better about this! :)

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dealer did a great job on mine and within the first week, I did my own.

If you've seen my previous detailing posts, you know I'm a huge fan of FW1 cleaner wax and all their products. Can't say enough about them. It gets evil off, and it lasts quite a while. Plus it makes the car a bit more slippery, so evil doesn't stick as well. I could go into a lot of details, but here's the biggest endorsement I can give: I had to drive close to 300 miles through some snow squalls and rain (and the subsequent evil on the roads getting alllll over my truck) to my Mini dealer who then did the appraisal on my trade in. I got VERY close to the Truecar trade value on my truck - even with one reasonably significant accident on its record - because it looked so well taken care of... even after that road trip. Bottom line, using FW1 for 6 years on my truck got me about $1500 extra on my trade in for my Mini... which almost immediately was sprayed with the stuff when I got it home and the weather permitted heh.

And I'm pretty happy with their interior products too!
Thanks Tiger! I'll check it out. I usually use Griot's Garage soft carnuba hand rubbed wax...it smells so sweet and it's a gem to put on my hand...awesome stuff, but I'm always looking at other options.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey John

If detailing yourself just be careful as the paint is very thin compared to most cars. I thought of doing it myself but in the end I got a professional detailer to do it. Should pick the car up this weekend. Can't wait to see the results on my thunder grey.
Following on from what I said about the thinness of the paint. My detailer advised that the paint thickness only measured 59 on the paint scale reading (average being 100-110).

Here's a link to my mini now having been detailed and with crystal serum applied.

Really happy with results.

http://www.minif56.com/forum/385-appearance-body/29506-mini-cooper-s-detail-clean.html

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Following on from what I said about the thinness of the paint. My detailer advised that the paint thickness only measured 59 on the paint scale reading (average being 100-110).

Here's a link to my mini now having been detailed and with crystal serum applied.

Really happy with results.

http://www.minif56.com/forum/385-appearance-body/29506-mini-cooper-s-detail-clean.html
Yes, saw your other post.....I'm hand waxing, so paint thickness isn't a problem whatsoever. Like I said, nobody will do a better job than me. If the car had oxidized paint and other issues I'd definitely go with the professional detailer, and ONLY one that I trust 100%!

John

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes, saw your other post.....I'm hand waxing, so paint thickness isn't a problem whatsoever. Like I said, nobody will do a better job than me. If the car had oxidized paint and other issues I'd definitely go with the professional detailer, and ONLY one that I trust 100%!

John
Hi John

Do you think hand waxing will remove the swirls? I would be doubtful as I feel a machine polisher is required to do the job. Looking on detailing forums people get good results with autogylm SRP although just fills in the swirl makes rather than removing them.
Fingers crossed your new mini wont have any swirls to get rid of.

Simon

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi John

Do you think hand waxing will remove the swirls? I would be doubtful as I feel a machine polisher is required to do the job. Looking on detailing forums people get good results with autogylm SRP although just fills in the swirl makes rather than removing them.
Fingers crossed your new mini wont have any swirls to get rid of.

Simon
Well Simon,

My little guy better not have any swirls or I won't be a happy camper!

This is the reason I don't want the dealer to detail the car. My Mini MA is in agreement with me since he gets it!

If it does I will go to Plan B. I've had detailing polishes & waxes with orbital buffers that I rarely use....so, I am all set. But I may have the dealer take care of any swirling if it is that obvious upon arrival. I will demand that a professional detailer take care of it.

Hopefully, that won't be an issue. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I paid for an IBEX coating on my Mini. How does that fall into all of this discussion? I didn't realize the paint was so thin, the dealer did not mention that, though he was successful on the IBEX upsell - should I be concerned? Do I need the extra protection like described above?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
When I picked up my Mini at the Dealer it looked horrible they had to bring in the big Guy to fix what the little Guy at the Dealer messed up and yes the paint on the Mini is very very thin a good size Mossy can do plenty of damage to the paint.:(

My Dealer was kind enough to spray the secret Stuff on for free to make it look perfect after they messed up on delivery.:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
So I paid for an IBEX coating on my Mini. How does that fall into all of this discussion? I didn't realize the paint was so thin, the dealer did not mention that, though he was successful on the IBEX upsell - should I be concerned? Do I need the extra protection like described above?

I wouldn't worry too much. I take it this IBEX coating is applied to the paint work by hand. The only issue with paint thinness is when using a machine polisher.
Simon

1 - 20 of 23 Posts