Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking at exhaust mods for my F56 Cooper S.
I was planning on going for the Remus Cat-back system but I had my car up on a ramp the other day and I started to wonder what it would sound like if it was just straight piped from the cat back.

Has anyone done it? Or has anyone seen any videos of it?

I'm currently browsing ebay to find a cheap second hand jcw exhaust that I can cut up and start messing about with.
I'll probably start by removing the silencer and seeing how that sounds as I know a few people have done that - but the plan is to end up with a fully straight piped system. No silencer, no back box. Just a pipe that goes from the cat all the way to the back, and splits into two tips at the end.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I guess some like it loud. I put a Magna Flow Flat Muffler on my 3 Banger because it just did not sound right too me without it. They also will fit snug on the "S"

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine is "straight piped".

I have a muffler delete along with second cat and resonator delete. It's "straight" from the cat on the downpipe to the end of the car.

I've attached sounds clips

The first clip is a cold start. Cold starts are a bit noisy, and embarrassing. It sounds like tractor on startup. After 30 seconds or so, it calms down to a deep rumble, almost like a V8.

Cold Start - https://vid.me/UALp

Here is some revs, pops, and bangs after proper warm up - https://vid.me/e8gv

Overall, I really enjoy the sound. It's quiet on the highway, and through town. It's really only loud when you get on it, which is what you want. Plus, you can hear the turbo spool through the exhaust, and in sport mode, the pops and bangs are LOUD! It's amazing.

My new favorite sound is being in fourth gear at around 2.5krpms, and downshifting to third. It makes the mean growl as it rev matches the next gear. Oh yes lol.

Cheers!

·
Registered
389 Posts

I have a muffler delete along with second cat and resonator delete. It's "straight" from the cat on the downpipe to the end of the car.

The first clip is a cold start. Cold starts are a bit noisy, and embarrassing. It sounds like tractor on startup. After 30 seconds or so, it calms down to a deep rumble, almost like a V8.

Overall, I really enjoy the sound. It's quiet on the highway, and through town. It's really only loud when you get on it, which is what you want. Plus, you can hear the turbo spool through the exhaust, and in sport mode, the pops and bangs are LOUD! It's amazing.

My new favorite sound is being in fourth gear at around 2.5krpms, and downshifting to third. It makes the mean growl as it rev matches the next gear. Oh yes lol.

Cheers!
Crazy loud! I think I'll have the resonator and a switchable silencer! Sounds great though :)
@SnozBerry where did you get, or how did you do your rally flaps? I may need some sort of little mudguard, but apparently the standard MINI ones you can get don't fit a JCW?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Crazy loud! I think I'll have the resonator and a switchable silencer! Sounds great though :)

@SnozBerry where did you get, or how did you do your rally flaps? I may need some sort of little mudguard, but apparently the standard MINI ones you can get don't fit a JCW?
Thanks! Sounds better in person!

Here is the website for the mud flaps. Rally Armor does not make a bracket for our cars, so I had to purchase the Universal Flaps. http://www.rallyarmor.com/product_i...-logo-p-273?osCsid=bhvraitc5k0jcuvj4ur8sghcq4

What I did was drill 3 holes in each flap, and then drill 3 holes into the fender liners, and placed a bolt and nice sized washer through the holes and tightened them down with a lock nut. They've been on their for a year almost and I haven't had any issues.

I did have to trim mine though to make the not scrub on the ground. I probably could have fixed that by hanging them higher, but, oh well. :D

Cheers!

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'd like to do either the resonator or back box (muffler) on my cooper.

Both just reminds me of the time the back box parted company with my first car, ie it just sounds burst. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm currently looking at exhaust mods for my F56 Cooper S.
I was planning on going for the Remus Cat-back system but I had my car up on a ramp the other day and I started to wonder what it would sound like if it was just straight piped from the cat back.

Has anyone done it? Or has anyone seen any videos of it?
I bought the Remus Cat-back system and installed it a couple of days ago. It sounds amazing and I like the option of driving with closed valve in "regular" mode. If I want a lot of noise I can open the valve and drive "sport" mode - then it pops/bangs with a very deep sound. I can obviously still hear it's a different exhaust when driving "regular" - but no terrible noise in cabin.

I'll try make a video soon...

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
You did not change your downpipe? If you would have changed this would you use the Miltek downpipe or another brand?

Milltek catless and resonator free Midpipe where did you find this? I did not see it on their website.

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts

Cheers!
Hey! I'm curious to see how this sounds but the video links don't work any more - do you still have the videos on yourtube or anything? would love to hear it and see what I could do to my JCW!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Cold Start - Vidme

Here is some revs, pops, and bangs after proper warm up - Vidme

Cheers!
Any check engine lights ? After the delete

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts