Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to tell the Truth here!!!!!:D

Okay I have to admit that my Driving Habits changed ever since I got my F56. When I had the 2012 Abarth I was more on the Pedal took turns faster and often was an old Speed Racer.0:)

ever since I got my F 56 I drive more and more like an old Geezer find myself fliping over to the green Mode and take Corners not as fast any longer.:| So far I really have not pushed the Car hard. I am still in the Break In Period with 180 Miles on the Clock to go.

One thing I noticed is that the Steering is very direct and still throws me off sometimes it just has a weird feel to it when cornering.IMHO

I guess I have to find a nice big Spot and test the limits of the Car before I hit the Back Roads.:D:D:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pulled over on day three of ownership. Was informed by the wonderful Texas State Trooper that I 'wasn't even close.' ... And with peak torque down so low (around 2,000 rpm or so?) it's hard not to take off from the lights like a hoodlum.

Even when driving very carefully with my 2 year old, I still can get my kicks getting from 0-30 mph. She now counts down from three when the light turns green...then screams 'blast off!' I claim ignorance when my wife asked 'and when did she start doing that' 0:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm with uke here! Just say "no" to the green mode and discover the true joy of the car! I will admit that I corner waaaaay faster than I ever have. My new passion is on and off ramps, except when I get stuck behind the dreaded, lumbering mini van. They don't seem to set up speed traps there although the massive grin on my face as I exit may give me away.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can not wait to give the Car a good workout. >:D>:D Maybe I just felt into the weird New Car Spell ......you know where you clean it more than you drive it.:(:(:eek:

·
Registered
505 Posts
My only story (as I wait for my car to quit sitting around... wherever it is) comes from my test drive. I was working very hard to be analytical. So, I was starting from baseline, working through basic controlability, standard response, nothing crazy... noticing I continually was having to back down from 10mph over the speed limit. I never did get it into sport mode, in fact. On one of the final turns as the Mini "Genius" and I were on the way back to the dealership, I cut hard and goosed it as I launched through the apex.

I giggled.

There was silence for a bit and then I turned to the MG and said quietly, "I swore to myself I wasn't going to do that in front of you guys." He replied, "It's ok... these cars just do that."

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'm with uke here! Just say "no" to the green mode and discover the true joy of the car! I will admit that I corner waaaaay faster than I ever have. My new passion is on and off ramps, except when I get stuck behind the dreaded, lumbering mini van. They don't seem to set up speed traps there although the massive grin on my face as I exit may give me away.
Agree, but the cool thing about the MINI is once you get onto the freeway proper you can punch it and blow past the idiot while they are still deciding if they should merge at 37 or 48 MPH. You will be past them in a second or two and going 85 with everyone else. Brilliant.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Taping that Pedal can get you in trouble really fast that is 4 sure.:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm still learning the limits of the car in terms of cornering, I started at 20mph, but am slowly creeping over 30mph.

My driving has slowed, too. I'm driving like an old man, but I wonder if that's because it's still new to me?

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Mine have definitely changed ... I drove diesels for 14 years before I bought the S. I've had to 'relearn' how to drive a petrol ... my OH keeps complaining I change up gear too soon! I love 'hooning' about ..... it's my mid life crisis!

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
I've found I use the limiter a lot else I'd lose my licence can't believe how fast this little car is esp to 60 and when you get there it's so quiet you feel like you're doing 50!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Slowed down a lot :-(

Currently in the running in period so plodding about like Miss Daisy. I have however just came from a Megane RS250 so expect there to be a few differences but just as much fun :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mostly re-getting used to having a manual transmission after almost 10 years with a CVT. Though I'm definitely taking corners/curves much more quickly. Which is what I've always enjoyed anyway. Never had much interest in just going fast in a straight line.

I've only had it for a few weeks, but it already feels like an extension of my body while I'm driving it. It just goes where I want it to. That's how comfortable the controls are to me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Getting reacquainted driving stick shift after years on automatic cars. Last stick shift car I owned was a BMW 328i.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've always driven fast (a mini van), but with my MINI I find myself going 80 mph in no time and on a regular basis. It just wants to go that fast with no effort and unless I look at the speedometer I would never know it. Just hope I don't get a ticket! I also love being able to make U turns with no effort and cut corners so quickly!

Watch out!!!

·
Registered
998 Posts
where i feel sorry for our colonial cousins is with their lack of roundabouts, which the mini loves. Flick down a couple of gears (listen to it pop), treat it like a chicane. No brakes, just gun it on the way out & watch the rest of the traffic disappear in your rear-view mirror.

i'm also finding myself making exaggerated lane changes like in the movies.

·
Registered
98 Posts
where i feel sorry for our colonial cousins is with their lack of roundabouts, which the mini loves. Flick down a couple of gears (listen to it pop), treat it like a chicane. No brakes, just gun it on the way out & watch the rest of the traffic disappear in your rear-view mirror.

I'm certainly a fan of roundabouts in a lot of circumstances. Particularly getting on and off of motorways.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

Believe it or not, we have roundabouts here in AZ. The confusion they cause is epic. I love goosing it through the roundabout, but only if there are no clueless dolts approaching. If there's another car nearby (or even approaching the roundabout), I wait for it to go before blasting through.

Being a yank, my first experience with roundabouts was in the UK, riding my bike to work. Not only was I riding on the wrong side of the road, but the drivers around me were in no mood to put up with some clueless nitwit from The Colonies. Holy guacamole I nearly removed myself from the gene pool before I figured it out. Scared the bejeezus out of me, but now I love them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts