Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am cleaning up my R56S to sell in anticipation of my incoming F56S.
Overall the car looks nice, a few blemishes in the black plastic areas but that's about it.
Until I remembered a small magnet on the boot. It has been there so long I forgot it was a magnet.
Anyway I got it off fine but there is a ghostly image left behind. Kind of like a water ring on a coffee table. If I get it wet it disappears but as soon as it dries I can see it. It is mostly grey.
I have done a quick wash and dry of the area and it faded but was still visible.
Then I clay barred it, and it faded a bit more but not completely.
Wondering if anyone had suggestions or should I just keep clay barring it?
Oh, this is a Horizon Blue. So a darker, metallic paint.

Annette

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A not so great pic, hard to get it to show up.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Might be worth a try using IronX on it? It removes iron fall out. I wonder if the magnet has attracted excess iron and that's dulling the paint? Will do no harm to try it.

....just noticed you're in the states, so perhaps IronX isn't available but I'm sure you should be able to get something similar?

Here's a youtube video - DO NOT PANIC at the purple on a white car - the purple is the IronX removing the iron - there's a lot of contamination on that car!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4E38Kemdw8

·
Registered
192 Posts
Polish it. I had such spot on my hood. 20 cm and 5 cm wide. It was really nasty. My poor cooper s i gave it a good polish and you can't see it was there.

Give it a try.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Meguiars Scratch X (or similar, but it's widely available in the US) will get rid of that in a few mins with no damage. Clean polish pad or microfibre with firm (not hard) pressure. Might take two or three attaempts, but it's lacquer damage, not paint, so you just need to buff that up.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On a good note, I left the car in the driveway for the afternoon. The hot sun got rid of about 90% of the haze. All I have left is a bit of an outline. I will try polish first and will post results.

Annette

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the Revive Polish and Paint Correcting Polish from Adam's and it did the trick. I finished up with a coat of Liquid Paint Sealant and it looks stunning.
I ended up doing the Liquid Paint Sealant on the new MINI and am thrilled.

Annette

1 - 10 of 10 Posts