Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, my fist message here.
I'm going to buy a new One D and I like a lot HUD but Navigation module is very expensive and I'm thinking about it.

Otherwise, I suppose HUD without Navigator loose a lot (or not ?)

Do you know if it is possible to see on HUD the indicator coming from Iphone Navigator (Google maps or Apple Map or other app) ??

In this way I could avoid and expensive optional.

Thank you.

What do you think instead HUD without Navigator Optional ? Is useful ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello, I tried configuration twice and it give HUD Without any sat nav.
Make sure to ask the dealer when your order in "punched" into the system >:D

For me the HUD was one of the reasons to go for the Mini. I had a testdrive in a BMW1 the same day and I was missing the HUD. It looks like a gimmick, but while driving I noticed the psychological effect. More eyes on the road, less eyes down.

So to HUD or not to HUD that is your question: test drive!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, I love too HUD and even for me is one very attractive thing. But the question is : is good enough even without Nav Sat or should be unuseful ? (If display only speed...)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thank you, I love too HUD and even for me is one very attractive thing. But the question is : is good enough even without Nav Sat or should be unuseful ? (If display only speed...)
I ordered the HUD without satnav or drivers assistant. Its a marvel still. You can scroll through contacts/radio stations. Prompts come up when using the cars voice assistant. I did wonder if there was any point as the BMW satnav is (and pretty much always was dreadful).

Totally worth it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
you cannot view google maps or any other navigation services on your phone on the HUD. I have tried this. I have the HUD and the sat nav package so that obviously shows up on the HUD

·
Registered
167 Posts
Eventually, there will be hacks i reckon on iPhones/Android to represent their map turns in the HUD...it's a waiting game.

And you can (in UK) have Hud without satnav option.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a courtesy car with a HUD. I did quite like it, but have found the option to have the speed on the small display on the speedometer, so am happy without. I think you would need the sat nav option to get the traffic speed limits to display on the HUD anyway.

I don't do phoning whilst driving so really having the contacts available to display is irrelevant. Although it was a good toy I can't say I miss it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The sat nav option gives you turn instructions on the HUD and the driving assistant gives you speed limits on the HUD. You actually have to spend a lot to get full use out of it...

So probably worth adding the HUD if you're getting the other options anyway, but not worth getting the other options to justify the HUD.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have HUD and Driver assistant on my Clubman and both are options that are well worth having and worth the extra £500 and £800 respectively.
If you haven't had either then you wont miss them, but I know that having had them I now find them essential.
The HUD is in the line of sight and includes speed and radio/media tracks and also phone book and additional sat nav instructions. You can get these things on the central display but its nothing like as convenient to use and if you want the additional sat nav turn directions you loose half the map display.

If you have Driver Assistant as well as HUD, you get camera based traffic sign recognition and speed limits next to the speed readout on the HUD. which I find is invaluable and would definitely not want to be without it.

The other parts of Driver assistant are that you have camera based active cruise control which is far more useable than the standard cruise control and I do use a lot because I do a lot of of motorway driving. Driver assistant also has headlamp high beam assist which switches main beam on/off automatically which again is a really useful feature.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
This is what I installed on my car. It has all the features without paying for drivers assist or factory SatNav. Total cost $499 USD, but you can find them for less on eBay. I paid $370 shipped from Ireland. Super easy install and feature rich. I'm still learning to use mine.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Navdy-Augmented-Navigation-Connected-Windshield/dp/B01MZ25DNT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496546491&sr=8-1&keywords=Navdy[/ame]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts