Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

10 months into my amazing F56 ownership, I've noticed that after being stopped at a light with the stop-start function activated, when restarting the engine, my halogen headlamps flicker. Is this normal? I had an old car where the headlights flickered when starting it-- I assumed there was a bad battery or something, but would not expect this in a brand new Cooper!

Liam

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Hi all,

10 months into my amazing F56 ownership, I've noticed that after being stopped at a light with the stop-start function activated, when restarting the engine, my halogen headlamps flicker. Is this normal? I had an old car where the headlights flickered when starting it-- I assumed there was a bad battery or something, but would not expect this in a brand new Cooper!

Liam
They will dim upon restarting the engine due to the voltage drawn from the battery upon restart.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Could just be what Brandon says which is normal.
Or it could be deliberate - some cars (used to) drop heavy loads when starting to reduce the battery load, though with modern batteries this isn't so much of an issue. However, with the extra stress of stop/start maybe it's being done again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I figured the starter would just be drawing more energy, but it doesn't happen on any of our cars with LED lamps. Not quite sure why this only happens with halogen-- is it because the LED lamps draw so little energy?

Liam

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks. I figured the starter would just be drawing more energy, but it doesn't happen on any of our cars with LED lamps. Not quite sure why this only happens with halogen-- is it because the LED lamps draw so little energy?

Liam
Not really. LEDs behave differently to filament bulbs in that they don't change their brightness much with a change in voltage. Also in a headlight or drl application they will usually be connected to the 12V supply via electronics which may also even out the supply to them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.