Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Clubby was at the dealers yesterday for it's annual service. They reported that the "ride height drop link" was starting to seize.

In the discussion with the dealer they said this is a part that helps in keeping the headlights level.

Me: "Is this part covered under warranty?"
Dealer: "No it's a plastic part, so any fault is considered wear and tear"

Me: "If it's a plastic part how can it seize up?"
Dealer: "It is a part that controls pushing a rod to level the headlights and if/when/as it seizes the part is deformed and cannot do it's job. We have seen a few of these and this is why we now check them."

Me:"Does this happen on all models or just the Clubman?"
Dealer:"The design is the same for all models."

Me:"How much does it cost to get the part changed?"
Dealer:"£61.33, but we have lubricated it for now."

So I can't see why a part of the car that keeps it road legal, i.e. the headlights level is; a) Not covered under warranty and b) Not made of a better material if it is likely to fail when the car is only 2.5 years old.

The only reason I can see that it might be an issue on the Clubman over other models is that the headlights are turned on and levelled when you open the barn doors as well as when you start the car, so potentially this part gets twice as much wear compared to other models. Even so it does seem like something that should not really be an issue.

·
Super Moderator
6,737 Posts
It'll be a pushrod that sits on the suspension and operates a sensor that tells the car how low/high it is;therefore it'll make no difference if it is a clubby or f56 etc-they all depend on the same system. Might move more in the longer wheelbase clubby and therefore get more hammer though i suspect the opposite-it'll be rubbish off the road causing the issue ! Will check mine when i take the winter tyres off. Not too expensive though!

·
Registered
586 Posts
That's outrageous! Regardless of the material the part is made from it should be sufficiently well designed and durable enough to have an acceptable service life and be covered by warranty in the event of failure.

All manufacturers make extensive use of plastic components - just a glance under the bonnet of any modern car confirms that. This component is hardly in the same category as tyres or brakes or the other accepted wear and tear components.

I share your astonishment Anon.

·
Registered
145 Posts
anonemouse70 and VolcanicF54, if the car is still within the manufacturer's warranty there is no way that it could be considered a wear and tear issue in my experience, having worked in the automotive components industry. The fact also its made from plastic is irrelevant, it would be tested and validated as being suitable in strength and durability.

Its not the type of item that would normally be changed within the warranty period due to service conditions unlike brakes, tyres and clutches. It would be interesting if this is getting to be a commonly found problem, as the dealer says, if any other forum member has had the same problem?

·
Super Moderator
6,737 Posts
Sorry totally agree however with Sunbar;I was too busy thinking about the bit and what it might do instead of thinking about how you have been treated; IT CANNOT POSSIBLY BE A WEAR AND TEAR ITEM ; regardless of material it is not a service item ie brake pads etc and therefore has to be under warranty. No one would expect to replace that on a regular basis and at least in teh uk it has to be fit for purpose and so last 6 years. Me thinks your dealer is trying to cop out of it! Bit of pressure re consumer rights here needed I feel followed by some serious complaining if that doesn't get results. Your dealer customer service is sadly lacking I think!

·
Super Moderator
1,155 Posts
I'd tell the dealer where to go!

In fact, "We have seen a few of these and this is why we now check them" seems to tell me that it's more of a design fault, which Mini are responsible for.

Tell the dealer it needs to be done under warranty or you'll take it further. Best you do it on a busy day with a number of customers around, and be quite vocal about it. :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. I thought it was pretty ridiculous that Mini would not cover the part under warranty. When I respond to my "customer satisfaction survey" I will let them know my thoughts, might even drop Mini UK a line to see how they respond to this "getting more common" issue the dealer has raised.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It'll be a push rod that sits on the suspension and operates a sensor that tells the car how low/high it is;therefore it'll make no difference if it is a clubby or f56 etc-they all depend on the same system. Might move more in the longer wheelbase clubby and therefore get more hammer though i suspect the opposite-it'll be rubbish off the road causing the issue ! Will check mine when i take the winter tyres off. Not too expensive though!
Hey. I am quoting you: "It'll be a push rod that sits on the suspension and operates a sensor that tells the car how low/high it is". This sensor gets a reading of car's height and then reports to the computer to adjust headlight accordingly? In which cases can this happen, driving on particular roads or having car full of people?

·
Super Moderator
6,737 Posts
Should do ie it should autoadjust for a big load in the rear for eg! Not sure how fast it is but am pretty sure I have seen ours adjust on roads unladen ie according to surface etc. but couldn't absolutely swear to it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts