Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to spec a F55 Cooper SD and getting a little carried away with all the options! So, was wondering if I should stretch further for the LED headlights option?

I was told by a dealer that the standard fit on the Cooper S & SD are xenons but I'm not sure and I can't find any details on the mini website etc. help please!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi F55maybe, hope you're having fun speccing up your Mini!

I have to admit, the LED lights are a must! I have driven past one on the road recently and they looked great! I think the dealer is incorrect though about them being xenons I'm afraid.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Midnight. The problem is that I am having too much fun speccing it and the price just keeps going up ��.

Did suspect that the dealer may be wrong. I just can't understand why we should know more about the cars then the people who are trying to sell them!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
They do call them xenon which I found very misleading . when We bought our first mini , my wife's cabrio Highgate. It said xe nons but they are just ordinary xenonfilled bulbs NOT, projector type hid . The difference certainly is vast, night and day in fact! You. Need them!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I know the feeling F55maybe! :L

I have found if you demonstrate your knowledge when you're at the dealer, it assures them that you're not going to take any rubbish!

·
Registered
441 Posts
For what it's worth the LEDs drop by around £200 with a chili or JCW sport pack.

Don't forget the rear LED tail lights you get with the headlights too - also look pretty cool at night.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
No crim guy mini call them xenon but they are just fancy xenon gas filled halogen. Go leds every time.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
They're definitely not. Next time you see one have a look. they are ordinary bulbs. The leds replace the hid's. Confusing terminology!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Given the affinity this forum has always had for the LEDs I am reluctant to make this comment...but...when it comes to choosing between options I put the lights fairly low. The standard headlights are not bad lights at night, they are more than adequate. It depends what you are buying for doesn't it! If you can get some nicer interior/convenience options by giving up some daylight halo lights that you won't actually see as you sit in it driving, then maybe its worth letting them go!

Sorry to the LED fan club, I accept they look impressive if that's what you are in to! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would advise a good look at the two options, as has been mentioned in many posts the wiring for the cars is different according to the options chosen. On another car I didnt specify the upgraded headlights and I have regretted it ever since. I agree that they look impressive but they do also provide superior lighting, so if you do a lot of night driving they are worth it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I just LOVE my LED headlights ordered from the factory........what is this 3rd gen car doing with them as standard equip?...,...it TOTALLY modernizes this car and it's looks. Otherwise the car to non Mini fans would look like all the other generations. The LED headlights differentiates the car from all others and gives it that 21st Century look. I find that the light that these headlights projects at night were/are better than my 2013 and 2008 models. Very happy with the design and functionality too. Daytime LED lights are a blast. Nobody has these LED's on Mini around here....just my 2 Canadian cents.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
I totally agree hot runner.I specced the leds as an afterthought after reading t he forums. I am so so glad I did as they do seem to add beauty to the car and make it more individual. Pluss they are as good as any lights I have ever had, don't need adjusting for abroad and should in theory last a long time! And I just love the purple sheen across the top of the beam. Lovely.

Reactions: quiller

·
Registered
86 Posts
Given the affinity this forum has always had for the LEDs I am reluctant to make this comment...but...when it comes to choosing between options I put the lights fairly low. The standard headlights are not bad lights at night, they are more than adequate. It depends what you are buying for doesn't it! If you can get some nicer interior/convenience options by giving up some daylight halo lights that you won't actually see as you sit in it driving, then maybe its worth letting them go!

Sorry to the LED fan club, I accept they look impressive if that's what you are in to! :)
Have to agree on this. I also think that the LED drls look a bit 'old hat' now as so many cars are fitting them in fancy patterns. I am happy I put the money into the driving assistant package as the standard headlights are far better than my Clubman and streets ahead of my Alfa Mito's projector headlights (probably the worst headlights since the 6v VW Beetle).

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think LED headlights will become a future norm on the F56 given their attractive price band, and as a result any F56 without them may be penalised in terms of second hand value. Just my two GB pence :)

·
Registered
998 Posts
LED will become the norm on all cars in the next few years as they offer a cheaper fit for the manufacturers and a maintenance free package, plus much lower power consumption leading to greater efficiency.

This then means that much like air con and alloys instead of steel in years gone by, LED lights will soon become a significant factor for residuals and desirability for trade in

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have to agree on this. I also think that the LED drls look a bit 'old hat' now as so many cars are fitting them in fancy patterns. I am happy I put the money into the driving assistant package as the standard headlights are far better than my Clubman and streets ahead of my Alfa Mito's projector headlights (probably the worst headlights since the 6v VW Beetle).
Thanks Ollies. Are your lights what the dealer would call xenons? And if so, are they more white looking than the hLogen yellow?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I think LED headlights will become a future norm on the F56 given their attractive price band, and as a result any F56 without them may be penalised in terms of second hand value. Just my two GB pence :)
Sorry, I disagree :) Yes, a car equipped with these may be worth slightly more but you will never get back the additional extra outlay.

They are unlikely to be the norm as MINI like their high price extras.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts