Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I'm looking to get some of those headlight and taillight rings in black.

I've seen plenty of Ebay for around £90 a set which are the stick-on type. However, in the Genuine Mini Accessories catalogue a JCW replacement set costs £156 inc VAT.

So, has anyone fitted the Ebay type? Do they look/fit OK? Do they completely cover the chrome ones?

The difference in price is not that great, so how tricky is it to fit the replacement ones? I'm guessing I could resell them once I sell the car.

Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
I've got a local guy doing some wrapping for me (door handles & grille surround) - should cost less that £100 to do this, another £50 or so for the light surrounds front & back.

My son is having the lights & door handles done on his VO 3 door Cooper.

I'm based up near Heathrow, the guy is 5 minutes from me, but that's a bit of a trek from the South Coast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't realise they were in Hedge End. That's just up the road from my work!

I'll pop in and enquire next week....

Cheers,
Gweev

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've got a local guy doing some wrapping for me (door handles & grille surround) - should cost less that £100 to do this, another £50 or so for the light surrounds front & back.

I'm based up near Heathrow, the guy is 5 minutes from me, but that's a bit of a trek from the South Coast.
Do you have his details? It's always good to get quotes to make wrap guys not inflate their prices...

I got mine wrapped recently but he couldn't do all the parts (indicators, belt line) and the handles are a bit sketchy. Love to know your guys details as I could pop over there easily enough. (Cheers)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You could also have them painted for cheaper than buying the black OEM ones. They come off easily enough.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought some vinyl on Amazon and did my rears myself. Took about 30mins and cost me $5. Wasnt hard by any means. Just take your time and use a heat gun to soften the vinyl up. It literally wraps around the surround itself

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I popped into MonsterWraps in Hedge End and the guy quoted me £48 (£40+vat) to wrap the front rings and another £84 to wrap the grille surround. That's for drive-in, drive-out.

OEM front rings are £80, rear rings £76.

Anyone know how durable the wraps are? For example are they carwash-proof?

·
Registered
436 Posts
So I popped into MonsterWraps in Hedge End and the guy quoted me £48 (£40+vat) to wrap the front rings and another £84 to wrap the grille surround. That's for drive-in, drive-out.

OEM front rings are £80, rear rings £76.

Anyone know how durable the wraps are? For example are they carwash-proof?
as previously said, just buy the OEM fron and back light rings from the jcw brochure, i think its £150 for both front and back.. ask for the ones in the brochure... .. thats what i did.. even be prepared to barter some discount!! say you will tell all your mini friends etc etc..
because i know for a fact.. your local mini dealer.. scotthall i think in eastleigh is ****.. and they could do with the good publicity.

The difference between these and chrome is they are not painted.. its black plastic so if they were to chip you wouldn't see anything underneath like vinyl or spraying chrome... just buy the oem ones please

on a separate note your local.. i used to live in southampton and i know another R55 member too

·
Registered
966 Posts
I just bought a complete set of rings etc off ebay, £70 each for back and front, and £54 for the grill surround.

I'm not going for wrapping the surrounds, more to follow shortly, and I'm going to have a go at wrapping the grill myself.

Jordan, if the JCW ones are black plastic, are they essentially the same without the chrome coating?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I went and bought the OEM front rings from Partridge Mini.

Easy to fit but the clips had a habit of pinging off into the distance!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
So I went and bought the OEM front rings from Partridge Mini.

Easy to fit but the clips had a habit of pinging off into the distance!
Indeed they do.

I found that laying a big towel under the hole in the bonnet helps to catch the clips that are trying to escape.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've just bought a replacement front grill surround from CotswoldMINI for £48 delivered and been quoted £20 to have it wrapped by my local sign company. I did ask them if it could be done whilst on the car to save buying a replacement and he said it's possible but won't last as it's best to get right around the back of the grill to make it weather proof. It's near impossible to remove the original without breaking clips!
I'm removing the front and rear light surrounds myself and dropping everything off next week as quoted £60 (20 grill and 10 each light surround) then I'll just refit.

I was tempted by getting the genuine MINI light surrounds until I saw the price, £150 is just stupid money!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I've just bought a replacement front grill surround from CotswoldMINI for £48 delivered and been quoted £20 to have it wrapped by my local sign company. I did ask them if it could be done whilst on the car to save buying a replacement and he said it's possible but won't last as it's best to get right around the back of the grill to make it weather proof. It's near impossible to remove the original without breaking clips!
I'm removing the front and rear light surrounds myself and dropping everything off next week as quoted £60 (20 grill and 10 each light surround) then I'll just refit.

I was tempted by getting the genuine MINI light surrounds until I saw the price, £150 is just stupid money!
Buy a can of plasti-dip and do it yourself. Took me about 30 minutes to mask everything, another 2 hours or so of spraying/waiting. No disassembly required whatsoever.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Jelster, does this guy have a garage where he does his work or is he mobile?

I'm based in West London and I'm looking to get a few things wrapped on my 56S, how is the wrap holding up ?

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
Jelster, does this guy have a garage where he does his work or is he mobile?

I'm based in West London and I'm looking to get a few things wrapped on my 56S, how is the wrap holding up ?
I've found somebody a bit more professional - they did the stripes on my Clubby, based out of Denham, just off of the M25/A40.... They're not mobile though...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts