Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

A couple of days ago this error came up on my dash: "Headlight Vertical Aim Control Failure" in my 2015 (65 Plate) Mini Cooper S.

After some research, I found the possibility of it being a damaged wiring harness under the windshield cowl, or sensors on the suspension arms. I checked the wiring yesterday and found no signs of damage, and tried to look for the sensors but couldn't spot any (don't have access to a jack right now, so was just peeking under the car on the drive). The headlight units also don't show any signs of damage from the top.

My Mini has the halogen headlights and a manual headlight adjuster in the cabin, does it still have the auto-leveling and therefore the sensors? I can't find much about this online so I'm unsure whether to go to more effort checking the sensors under the car or pursue something else that might be causing it.

Any info/advice would be appreciated, my MOT is due in a month so the car has timed this perfectly :rolleyes:.

Cheers!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Have a search of this forum for other owners experiences with similar issues, if you look for "headlight level" you will find a few posts, some listed below.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a search of this forum for other owners experiences with similar issues, if you look for "headlight level" you will find a few posts, some listed below.
Thanks. I've already found them and had a read, that's where I found about the sensors and wiring that I've already checked. I mainly want to know if the halogens actually have the leveling sensors or if it is probably something else causing the issue.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Have you ever noticed the lights flick up when you turn the car on? If the answer is yes then you have the self levelling system.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you ever noticed the lights flick up when you turn the car on? If the answer is yes then you have the self levelling system.
I don't think so, but I doubt myself now when I think about it haha. I don't remember them doing it but it might just be my bad memory at play.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have just noticed that after leaving the car overnight, the warning didn't come up on the first (20 minutes) drive, it was only when I started the car again after being at the shop for a minute. I didn't notice any lights going up and down upon the first start but it seems odd it only shows on the second start.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Okay, second update of the day!

I went out and had a another look, and on the RHS headlight, the cabling has been rubbing against the body of the car, mainly the fender (I guess you would call it?). So I will need to strip the insulation, splice new bits in and seal her up again.

For now, I have wrapped it in some additional tape and this seems to have stopped the error code appearing, so the wire must be shorting itself out on the body of the car. Hopefully this can help someone else if they come across this! Here is a picture of the cabling in question:

If I remember I will update this on my progress of fixing it, now to figure out what gauge wire to use :unsure:

EDIT: Upon testing a few hours later, my lights do in fact perform the 'up and down' thing upon starting the car. The error no longer came up, until I adjusted the manual headlight level switch a few times and then it threw the error up again. Therefore I believe more than 1 wire has been worn through and they are probably shorting together when current reaches a certain level.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update time!

I went to a garage and got them to repair that section of wiring, they did a great job (wouldn't know it isn't OEM), and the issue is now fully sorted. The error hasn't reappeared so far.

The wire that had corroded and was causing the issue was the CAN wire within the loom, and the mechanic said it had triggered a lot of other codes on the control module, but they are all cleared now.

Hope this helps someone else who gets the same issue in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts