Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I’m looking for some help please. I don’t know very much about cars...

I have a 4.5 year old (2015) Mini Cooper. A couple of weeks ago an error came up ‘headlight vertical aim control failure’ after I’d bought a lot of heavy stuff in the supermarket and put it in my car (I dunno if that’s relevant or not!)

Since then, the error has intermittently coming up... and I don’t know if it’s a coincidence but it’s usually NOT there when it’s colder outside.
As it was intermittent I thought it was just a dodgy sensor as the headlights looked straight enough (was unable to compare the level to another car). However, I finished work very late the other night so it was dark and I noticed that my headlights were at a different angle (too high) and I could see roadsigns far ahead and I was flashed by other road users 3 times. I was unable to adjust them with the headlight adjuster ‘wheel’.

I googled the error and read that there are apparently plastic rods in Minis that control the levelling of the headlights and can stick? But can be lubricated with WD40?

I got a mechanic to have a look who said my car doesn’t have these plastic rods/auto levelling and that there were nothing wrong with my headlights. I am not convinced and the error was still there last night but gone again this morning...

I had noticed in the dark (when parked in front of a wall) that my head lights adjust when I put the engine on so figured i did have some sort of autolevelling feature. But what do I know?!

Can you please advise? (In layman’s terms)

Any help greatly appreciated

Thank you

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had this come up on mine and it took the garage a couple of goes to figure what the cause was as the error kept coming back intermittently. They ended up replacing a part but I can’t remember what it was, luckily it was still under warranty at the time. I will see if I can find the paperwork tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be appreciated if you could have a look at the paperwork, even if I could just get him to check the part.

My warranty ran out but I have a TLC plan for 5 years with John Clark. Although I think that just covers 1 more service... But they’re probably closed now anyway with everything going on right now.

Thank you 😊

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello. My car has auto level headlights. On the light switch, it has the first position 12oclock which is Off/Auto, first click right is side lights, next click right is headlights.
When I switch on in the dark, the headlights are auto on, dip down the come back up to level.
It may be that putting weight in the car greatly adjust the levelling device on the chassis causing your issue.
This link from the American Forum show a picture of the link that may help your mechanic?

·
Registered
53 Posts
That would be appreciated if you could have a look at the paperwork, even if I could just get him to check the part.

My warranty ran out but I have a TLC plan for 5 years with John Clark. Although I think that just covers 1 more service... But they’re probably closed now anyway with everything going on right now.

Thank you 😊
The paperwork says headlamp module replaced. It doesn’t mention a part number like I was hoping.
Mine is also a 2015 although it’s a cooper S not cooper.
The part was replaced in Jan 2018 and the message hasn't appeared since.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The headlamp aim error can also be an early symptom of a common F56 issue of water/screenwash damage to the wiring harness under the scuttle panel. Water can drop from the scuttle panel under the windscreen wiper pivot onto the wiring harness and perish the insulation around the wires just in front of the front bulkhead. There are a couple of threads on this forum already where owners have had to have the entire wiring harness replaced by BMW.

The wiring harness on the RHS of the car is just below the bonnet hinge assembly, in the gap at the end of the scuttle panel that can be easily removed for inspection.

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Matchap801 - that’s helpful, thank you

F56Dexter - no problem, thanks for looking.

Chris - oh dear, I hope it’s not anything like that. I’ll make sure to get that part checked out. Thank you!

Your replies are all appreciated. Just wanna get it sorted... I’ll keep you updated when I (hopefully) get to the bottom of it 🙂

·
Registered
833 Posts
The 5 year TLC comes with MOT protect doesn’t it?

It seems like a headlight levelling issue would be an MOT failure so it should be covered by the TLC package.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes, it seems to be a malfunction of the headlight auto-levelling system (which you must have if your Mini has LED headlights). Like you say, it levels the lights depending on the load in the vehicle, and it even levels them constantly under acceleration/braking. Could be the wires, a faulty sensor, or even the motor that makes the leveling possible. Not sure if it could be a software problem. But I think that if you change any component, you might need to get it "registered" in the computer to get it to work afterwards (once we replaced the whole xenon headlamp in a VW and had to get it registered to get the auto-levelling to work again).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,

I have a 4.5 year old (2015) Mini Cooper. A couple of weeks ago an error came up ‘headlight vertical aim control failure’ after I’d bought a lot of heavy stuff in the supermarket and put it in my car (I dunno if that’s relevant or not!)

Since then, the error has intermittently coming up... and I don’t know if it’s a coincidence but it’s usually NOT there when it’s colder outside.
As it was intermittent I thought it was just a dodgy sensor as the headlights looked straight enough (was unable to compare the level to another car). However, I finished work very late the other night so it was dark and I noticed that my headlights were at a different angle (too high) and I could see roadsigns far ahead and I was flashed by other road users 3 times. I was unable to adjust them with the headlight adjuster ‘wheel’.

I googled the error and read that there are apparently plastic rods in Minis that control the levelling of the headlights and can stick? But can be lubricated with WD40?

I got a mechanic to have a look who said my car doesn’t have these plastic rods/auto levelling and that there were nothing wrong with my headlights. I am not convinced and the error was still there last night but gone again this morning...

I had noticed in the dark (when parked in front of a wall) that my head lights adjust when I put the engine on so figured i did have some sort of autolevelling feature. But what do I know?!

Thank you
Hi it will be high resistance in the osf wiring harness. Check the wiring harness under the brake fluid filler bottle trim. It will be wrapped in insulation tape. Screen was gets into the wiring and the wiring becomes swollen. I have done lots of these in the dealership. Range from the 64 plates to a 16 plate minis. Hope this helps. Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,

Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, just saw your issue did you get it fixed as my daughter has just told me the very same thing has came up . Headlight aim control. Headlight vertical aim control failure . How did you fix your fault please. Can I please ask if you can reply please send your reply to my e mail address. [email protected] .
thank you for your help. Cheers tues 8/9/20 from Scotland

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, just saw your issue did you get it fixed as my daughter has just told me the very same thing has came up . Headlight aim control. Headlight vertical aim control failure . How did you fix your fault please. Can I please ask if you can reply please send your reply to my e mail address. Mark[email protected]
thank you for your help. Cheers tues 8/9/20 from Scotland

·
Registered
795 Posts
Also look at these posts...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts