Mini Cooper Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Might be an issue if the beam does have correct alignment

Thanks for that. My MOT expires in November so I guess I'll go get it tested at a Mini dealer a month before to keep the expiry date and see what comes of it so I have time to deal with it, I think I am 1 year too late for MOT protect with my car as it would be covered by that. I got the headlights manually adjusted at Halfords so the beam is 100% legal (they showed me the MOT machine that they measure it with and it was within parameters).

·
Premium Member
2016 F54 BMW Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
592 Posts
Ok, I helped a guy out on Facebook with this.

His car FAILED the MOT

Speedometer Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Steering part Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

To start with we were talking about LED headlights, and auto leveling. But after much back and forth, it was confirmed he had halogen headlights and no auto leveling.

We also discovered that his car, which is in the UK, had been previously repair after an accident. Whoever did it put in a USA spec headlight.

Either it was because the USA headlight had no motor controller in it, or they were FUBAR, either way, 1 new headlight later and he passed his MOT.

In the UK, all F series headlights have a motor, whether they're self leveling or not.

They should always nod when you start the car.

So...

If you don't have the level sensors on the front and rear axles (only on LED headlights)

And if the wiring under the scuttle hasn't corroded.

It's probably the motor unit inside the headlight itself.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've just had this warning pop up this morning. Booked in at the dealers next week...I'll let you all know how it goes. :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've just had this warning pop up this morning. Booked in at the dealers next week...I'll let you all know how it goes. :)
🤔...I opened and closed the car a couple of times to see if the lights were doing their initial nod, and they were. When I started the car a half hour or so later the warning had disappeared. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I did notice that the lights go down, then up, then quickly flick down and up again. I've not taken any notice of this before so I'm not sure if the flick at the end is normal behaviour.

Here's a quick clip:

·
Registered
835 Posts
In the clip above, there's a noise as the light sweeps down, like the motor is trying to push the light beyond it's limit. Both headlights make the exact same movements and noise so either it's normal, or I've got a sensor out of whack and it's telling the lights to go lower than they can physically move.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok, I helped a guy out on Facebook with this.

His car FAILED the MOT

View attachment 73689 View attachment 73691

To start with we were talking about LED headlights, and auto leveling. But after much back and forth, it was confirmed he had halogen headlights and no auto leveling.

We also discovered that his car, which is in the UK, had been previously repair after an accident. Whoever did it put in a USA spec headlight.

Either it was because the USA headlight had no motor controller in it, or they were FUBAR, either way, 1 new headlight later and he passed his MOT.

In the UK, all F series headlights have a motor, whether they're self leveling or not.

They should always nod when you start the car.

So...

If you don't have the level sensors on the front and rear axles (only on LED headlights)

And if the wiring under the scuttle hasn't corroded.

It's probably the motor unit inside the headlight itself.
I have the same error, but the internal level wheel doesn’t move the head lights either.
Potential issues are:

a) wiring under the scuttle
b) wiring under each headlight unit (on another post)
c) control module (another post)
d) headlight unit/motor

So if neither headlight is responding during start up or from the internal adjuster, the problem must be common fault for both headlights… control module or the wiring under the scuttle. Does this make sense?

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Do the headlights "nod" when you turn the car on?

If 1 does, then it's likely the motor in the one that doesn't - new headlight required. It could be the individual wiring, you would need to run tests to check that.

If they both "nod" on startup, but the adjuster does noting then it's likely the adjuster itself (less likely) or the wiring (more likely).

More than that I can't say. It really needs to be looked at by a professional.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do the headlights "nod" when you turn the car on?

If 1 does, then it's likely the motor in the one that doesn't - new headlight required. It could be the individual wiring, you would need to run tests to check that.

If they both "nod" on startup, but the adjuster does noting then it's likely the adjuster itself (less likely) or the wiring (more likely).

More than that I can't say. It really needs to be looked at by a professional.
When it first happened the down/up nod was intermittent, and only one headlight might do the nod. I would just stop/restart Until the headlights were in the right position.
Now, there is no ‘nod’ and headlights are sitting in the low position, and the adjuster doesn’t work.
So, I think it’s a common fault that is affecting both lights?
One garage wants to swap out the osf headlight unit, but I can’t see how one faulty light would stop the other one from working?
I am trying another garage later in the month.

btw: BMW Mini wanted £180 just to have a look… and this mini has a new engine due to the thrust bearing issue a few years back, so I was hoping for some level of compassion as changing out an engine might of caused some issues. I’ve been getting them to service the car since new in 2014 in case I need some goodwill.. maybe it’s pass that now.
Its a lovely car for my kids, so no big issue really.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Can you find someone nearby just to test their headlight?

Although it does sound like a wiring issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you find someone nearby just to test their headlight?

Although it does sound like a wiring issue.
Do you guys know if the diagnostic tools garages have will identify the exact fault, that is pin point what created the warning I am seeing? basically another level of detail I get to see on the display!

Yes, I plan to go to another garage… then BMW Mini most likely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The headlamp aim error can also be an early symptom of a common F56 issue of water/screenwash damage to the wiring harness under the scuttle panel. Water can drop from the scuttle panel under the windscreen wiper pivot onto the wiring harness and perish the insulation around the wires just in front of the front bulkhead. There are a couple of threads on this forum already where owners have had to have the entire wiring harness replaced by BMW.

The wiring harness on the RHS of the car is just below the bonnet hinge assembly, in the gap at the end of the scuttle panel that can be easily removed for inspection.

Chris
View attachment 68905
Hi. Thanks for the advice. I think I have this problem.
Can I repair the wiring if I can get to it or will the whole loom need replacing?
Can I unbolt the part that looks like a tall black mushroom (do you know what it is?) to get at the wiring loom?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, just joined to find out about failures of the headlamp vertical aim failure.
November 2014 F56 Mini Cooper S.
My problem started with noticing the hedlamps lighting up the back of a truck, then a lot of new friends! flasing me.
On investigation the I found the rear suspension arm connection bracket to the levelling unit had failed.
The bolt / self tapping screw had corroded and broke leaving the thread in suspension arm.. This meant the arm of the control unit was hanging down.
So no warning on the IP of a failure.
Temp c/m of tie wrap holding the bracket to the arm. Headlight aim is now OK.
Just need to get the old thread out of the suspension arm and fit a nut and bolt.
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Carbon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, just joined to find out about failures of the headlamp vertical aim failure.
November 2014 F56 Mini Cooper S.
My problem started with noticing the hedlamps lighting up the back of a truck, then a lot of new friends! flasing me.
On investigation the I found the rear suspension arm connection bracket to the levelling unit had failed.
The bolt / self tapping screw had corroded and broke leaving the thread in suspension arm.. This meant the arm of the control unit was hanging down.
So no warning on the IP of a failure.
Temp c/m of tie wrap holding the bracket to the arm. Headlight aim is now OK.
Just need to get the old thread out of the suspension arm and fit a nut and bolt.
View attachment 75277
Hi Paul!

I’m having this issue too and I’m at a Loss! Do you want know if it’s an MOT failure? I have mine due in a month and I’m panicking!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Paul!

I’m having this issue too and I’m at a Loss! Do you want know if it’s an MOT failure? I have mine due in a month and I’m panicking!
Hi
The headlamps out of alignment is an MOT failure.
My temporary fix means alignment is now OK.
Not sure if they will allow the tie wraps - very difficult to get into the 'n' shape suspension arm to remove the broken thread.
MOT is due in one month so I will find out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi
The headlamps out of alignment is an MOT failure.
My temporary fix means alignment is now OK.
Not sure if they will allow the tie wraps - very difficult to get into the 'n' shape suspension arm to remove the broken thread.
MOT is due in one month so I will find out.
I have my MOT coming up as well! I have the halogen lights so let's see what happens. I got the lights re-aligned manually, so they won't fail the MOT, but let's see if they say something about the self levelling.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I passed the MOT! I actually failed first time, but that was because the brakes up front were FUBAR so changed discs + pads and now I am fine so got it passed.

So yeah if you have halogen just make sure the headlights are manually aimed correctly to pass the MOT and you should be fine.

Got it MOT'ed at a Mini main dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I passed the MOT! I actually failed first time, but that was because the brakes up front were FUBAR so changed discs + pads and now I am fine so got it passed.

So yeah if you have halogen just make sure the headlights are manually aimed correctly to pass the MOT and you should be fine.

Got it MOT'ed at a Mini main dealer.
Hey!!
Might seem an odd question.. how did you get your headlights aligned? Was this at a garage? Or?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey!!
Might seem an odd question.. how did you get your headlights aligned? Was this at a garage? Or?

Yeah I just went to a Halfords Auto center as they have the measurement abilities as an MOT test center. They then adjusted them manually to ensure they were within parameters and since then not a problem. They did it for free as well!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts