Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frosty headlight clusters, brr

My understanding with Xenon HID lights is there is a requirement for a washing/heating system to be fitted, to avoid the bright beams being misdirected by frost over the lenses and dazzling oncoming drivers.

See here - ECE regulation 48 (rev 12, section 6.2.9)
http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs41-60.html

My friends' 2014 Golf with LED lamps has them too... but my F56 doesn't.

The regulation above implies that the requirement is if the luminosity is >2000 LUX then the wash is required. I'm guessing this means the F56 LED headlamps are dimmer than other LED configurations from other manufacturers, and potentially the R56 HID lamps they replace as I think they had washers?

I don't know why I am raising this - perhaps boredom over the Christmas period :D

What do we think? Should the F56 have headlamp washers? I noticed they do seem to be a bit dazzling when they are frosted over!

·
Registered
235 Posts
From my understanding a average Xenon light outputs around 2700-3000 lumen's, halogen around 1300-1400.
I was never aware that any heating systems were fitted to any MINI headlamps.
A washer system has to be applied to all light outputs above 2000 lumen's.
This how MINI was able to make a xenon retro kit available for 2 gen MINI's with an equivelent output of 25w, whereas the factory fit output was equivalent to 35w

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi,
My understanding is that the F56 can only be equipped with halogen or LED headlights.
Xenons are not an option so the EEC regs would not apply.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I actually thought about that today. How do they keep snow from building up on the headlights since LED's produce hardly any heat at all? Cars here get properly covered during longer drives in the winter, but halogen lights usually produce enough heat to keep the snow from building up too badly on them.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I actually thought about that today. How do they keep snow from building up on the headlights since LED's produce hardly any heat at all? Cars here get properly covered during longer drives in the winter, but halogen lights usually produce enough heat to keep the snow from building up too badly on them.
I'm guessing we'll find out soon enough, once people get snowed on in earnest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts