Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I dont have the cornering headlights but I do have the LED headlights and everytime I turn on the car at night I can see the light moving down and up. Why it does that?

I was also wondering, could the headlights have the cornering capabilities already built in and all it needs is a computer code to enable it?

·
Registered
615 Posts
It's the self-levelling mechanism working.

I doubt it's possible to code cornering lights as it needs motors to move the lights from left to right

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Like sootyvrs says, it's the headlights going through their self-leveling process.

It is not possible to code cornering lights as the cornering headlights are completely different hardware. They do not swivel however, as sooty suggests, but they have a second set of lights that illuminate 90 degrees to each side while turning or cornering at lower speeds. It may be possible to code your fog lights to illuminate in corners, but I'm not sure if having cornering lights is a prerequisite.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had no idea about that lol

So they only do that level thing when you turn then on but what about while driving? do they adjust up or down depending on road condition?

·
Registered
191 Posts
At night turn your steering wheel light and left on the spot. See if the light fall changes to left or right. You wont see the lights itself turn. It's a different system.
If your car is loaded more on the back then it will level that out. Other people would need to do that with the 1,2,3 knob but most people don't know how and when to use it.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Not sure ranger I assume they only do it on start up to counter load etc.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I can't confirm for the new MINI, (waiting for mine) but I have seen the self levelling on the R56. It is active all the time. Park on a slope with your lights on a wall a car's length away, wang the handbrake on hard, bite the clutch to make the back of the car dip, see the headlight beam hunt up and down following the car angle!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I had no idea about that lol

So they only do that level thing when you turn then on but what about while driving? do they adjust up or down depending on road condition?
They will continually level as you drive to adapt to hills as well as luggage/passenger load so your headlights don't angle up too high and blind someone, though it's adjusts incrementally so you probably won't see it.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
197 Posts
Auto levelling is a good system, however whenever I see my friends out and about in their cars they always tell me I've got my high beams on, which I haven't! Maybe the lights are too bright and the auto levelling gives off the impression I'm flashing them? Due to this reason I purposely give the car in front that little extra distance so my lights are shining on their bumper and not through their rear window!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts