Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

New member here! Just taken ownership of a 2015 Cooper Hatch (5-door). Owned R53 Hatch, Coupe and Roadster prior to this.

The driver side heated seat isn't working properly. The LEDs illuminate for about 3 seconds and then go off. Passenger side is working fine.

Has anyone any ideas what this may be and how costly it is to fix?

Car isn't under warranty as bought via private sale.

Many thanks guys.

Joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Joe,

I’ve had exactly the same problem in the last week or so having bought my 2015 mini just under 4 years ago. Yet the passenger seat works fine.

Going to have it looked into at my local mini garage, but unlikely to be able to until late September. If anyone has any ideas on what’s going on or recommendations I’d love to hear them. Otherwise, I’ll post back once I’ve found out what’s going on (sorry a bit of a wait on my part!).

Jennifer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have exactly the same problem on my 15 plate Cooper. Be interesting to see what the outcome is. I have noticed that if you turn off the ignition and then turn back on, it once again comes on momentarily, but then it’s straight off again...

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Welcome along:)

If it was a fuse would the lights not come on at all?

Strange they are all 2015's as that is what mine is, I will try it but hardly ever drive it as the wife takes it most of the time ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
Have a question in regards to heated seat on 2014 Cooper F56.. I have same problem with heater control light going out after 3 seconds or less. won't do it again unless I turn power off and on again. I've changer seat control module. would like to know if anyone has a wire print or if their is a relay in system. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks Al

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I also have just found that my 2015 MCS has the driver seat heating problem !
Button light stays on for 3 secs or do and then just goes out until I restart the car ... then the light will come on again when pressed but again fault occurs after a few seconds.
Checked wiring and replaced module with latest part number, no better same issue.
I read that BMWs have similar problems dating back many years and one mentioned a resistance check would switch off the heat to avoid damage. The fix was to unplug the “thigh” heating element ... not tried this as yet ...
Anyone have any other thoughts ?

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

I finally found why the heat seat of my MINI wasn't work, after replace the control unit of the heater seat, it is working again :).
If you guys have the same problem, take a look at the picture below, it is a simple part that is located under the seat and can be easy replaced.
I'm having the same issue with my R55 and disconnected the passenger side unit and attached it to the driver's seat since I rarely travel with a passenger. The passenger side works fine when connected, but driver's side is still doing the same thing where it lights up for a few seconds and then shuts off even with the passenger control unit connected. I moved it back to the passenger seat, which is once again working just fine. I did notice that the unit that I disconnected from the passenger side has "PASS" handwritten on the top of it in tiny print, but I didn't think there would be a difference between the two, and all of the connections fit. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Had same and the actual heating element burnt out in my drivers seat. Luckily swapped for free OUTSIDE OF WARRANTY! I tried changing the module and fuse etc but it was the actual heating element itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have the same problem. Been told by professionals if car is under warranty, BMW will replace complete heating pad with all the components. If not - it is worth to check the temperature sensor. When I have a chance (some spare time) - I'll try to swap the control units with the passenger seat as Dany234 indicated. Not sure if sensor is there or is it a separate device. Will keep you updated. P.S. I've fiddled with the temperature settings in my ECU via Bimmercode app... maybe I shouldn't have :OOO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine’s doing the same as of this-morning. If it’s possible to swap with the passenger side module without removing the seats then I might give it a go this weekend. But no doubt it’ll turn out to be the heating element. I’m guessing it’s not an economical repair to let the dealer sort it out?

·
Registered
15 Posts
After some choice expletives I managed to get the buggers out and swapped over, and now both sides are working! Time will tell whether it stays that way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts