Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my first post as a new owner of a 2017 MINI Cooper S. This is my first MINI, and so far this is a great little car!

For reference, I also have a 2016 BMW M135i, which sadly will be gone soon. I prepared myself for the lack of power but honestly 90% of the time the MINI is more than quick enough! I’m finding myself speeding a lot more in this than the bimmer.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions which I was hoping you’d be able to help me out on.

Has anyone managed to put 215 section tyres on the 17 Cosmos wheels?
Looking to replace the fairly worn 205 section Falken Ziex tyres, was wondering if 215 section would help increase grip, but most importantly would they even fit? I think Cosmos are 7j wheel.

Secondly brakes; as the car is a Cooper S, it doesn’t have the bigger piston calipers, which is no issue, but has anyone got any recommendations for fast road/track pads?
Wanting a bit more bite in the brakes, options like DS2500/Yellowstuff etc. Any other recommendations?

Lastly, where are the best place to buy extra bits for our MINIs in 2020, I’ve been checking a few threads and suggestions like Lohen spring to mind?
If anyone has any recommendations I’d love to know.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi and welcome 717!
215 will fit a 7j rim, it will be slightly less stretched that than the stock 205, which looks better IMO. I've just tonight lowered and got my new wheels on the front (doing back springs tomorrow!) They're 225s but the rims are 7.5j, and the fit perfectly... must do a thread with pics for you guys!

Remember of you go 215/45 then the overall circumference will be higher and so there will be a slight change it your speedo read v actual speed (only 1.44% lower so don't panic!)

Better grip? Negligible for that change. The biggest change without getting bigger wheels would simply be to put better rubber on. So a softer, performance tyre. There's many, but I went mainstream and have Michelin Pilot Sport 4 which are soft and grippy, but still a road not track tyre.

Sorry don't know much about pads - I have the luxury of the Brembos on my JCW which are ample for road. Shopping wise, yes Lohen, and Kill All Chrome have lots of styling bits. Demon Tweets have a lot too or can get most things

Enjoy, MINIs are so much fun and the best thing is they all have their own character.

Cheers,

Andy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice Andy.

Do you think 225/40/17 would work on the Cosmo alloys?
For example on the bmw, the rear standard wheel is only a 8J and they managed to squeeze a 245 on it from factory. I’m guessing 225 would also be the limit for the MINI?

Has anyone done this on a 7j rim on the MINI?

I am planning on fitting either MPS4 or GY F1 Asy5, (got these on my 135 and they’re mega in the wet, compared to the original Michelin Pilot SuperSport!).

With the current Falkens I sometimes get occasional flicker of the TC light, and I’m not even pushing on that hard. I think they’re a bit past it, and with the weather only getting worse I’m looking at something that’s a bit more confidence inspiring, like PS4 or GYF1.

Also another note: I feel the MINI is way better on the B Roads than the M135i, much more control, better damped too. I’m sure being a couple 100kg lighter has something to do with that too!

Edit: Nevermind, 225/40/17 is a very hard size to get from what I can see. Will most likely stick to a 215/45/17..

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks for the advice Andy.

Do you think 225/40/17 would work on the Cosmo alloys?

Edit: Nevermind, 225/40/17 is a very hard size to get from what I can see. Will most likely stick to a 215/45/17..
You're welcome. Yes they'd fit but be a little bit wide/bulged. I have 225/45/17 which by luck are cheap and easy to get the MSP4 in! Bargain £80 a corner. Perfect fit on my new OZ rims, look a bit chunky compared to the low profiles we're used to seeing but I like that because, you know... race car.

Don't worry, pics coming soon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts