Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just over a week ago I swapped my beloved BMW 125D M-Sport Auto (had from new) for a 2016 Mini Cooper F56 Auto. It was forced upon me for money reasons, following retirement a year ago. I have to admit that I loved the BMW and really felt emotional at letting it go. The dealership (next door and on the same site) is next to the Mini Dealership and so I transacted a deal for the Mini. They knew I considered the BMW the best car I have ever driven and I have driven loads - its performance and economy, I wager, could not be beaten.

I got a good deal to "trade down" and wasn't expecting much - the plan was to keep the mini until my Wife's Audi Q5 runs its course and then, after she retires, we will get one car between us by trading in the Audi and the Mini. So my thoughts and emotions were a little mixed - sad at letting the BMW go but the Mini would be a temporary thing and things could only get better in time! I mean, why would anyone in their right mind as a petrol-head get a "girly" car - Volcanic Orange with white stripes and a white roof and which has only 3-cylinders!!! My wife says what the £%£%! You'll not be found if you get stuck in a snow drift lol.

But and it's a massive but, this car drives exceptionally - the engine is magnificent, especially if I push the gear lever to the left and put it in sport-auto! It is nippy to the extreme, and economic - I got 48.8 mpg to Liverpool and back the other day and that was with very low outside temps and the gearbox in Sport position (I say that as the car hasn't got the Driving Modes Selector) for most of the journey, which I think is very good indeed for a petro enginel with this level of performance. Again I mean 7.4 secs 0-60 for a 3 cylinder car - wtf? lol.

So as you can see I am very happy with my little Mini (a far cry from my clasic Mini 850 of the early seventies haha!) and going to have some fun in it over the next year or two.

This is my first post and I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions please? : -

1. How do I find the car's current Software Version? I don't have Sat Nav as I just have the basic Radio functions, not sure what you call my display.
2. I'm having rear parking sensors fitted in York later this morning and have fitted a central armrest from Italy. What other suggested mods should I consider? I have Carly and already done a few tweaks.

Thanks for reading

roz

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi - good to hear from a Yorkshire owner, especially the owner of a MINI in VO so welcome to t'forum .

I wouldn't say VO was "girly" ... neither does my manicurist😉.

100% agree with you about the 1.5 petrol engine though. Mine hauls around the heavier Clubman and is one of the best features of the car imho.

I'm sure some of my fellow members will be able to answer your queries. I'd try, but you'd be better off asking your neighbours cat than me to be honest.

Enjoy the "temporary" MINI experience. It may become permanent!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello Roz,

I am in a similar position including hitting state pension age this year. There were lots of changes in my life at the end of last year including my rather wonderful Volvo C30 becoming problematic after ten years of ownership. My other half is a Mini fan and is now on her fourth new one; she bought the first one the week they were launched! I decided to jump ship from my sensible Scandi car to something else and after much deliberation I settled on a Mini and mostly I am loving it. I still miss those Volvo seats though as nothing Mini offer comes close but otherwise its great. That three cylinder engine is rather wonderful and can be smooth as well as characterful.

The performnce is intresting and shows how things have moved on in 40+ years. I have a good friend who bought a brand new 1275 GT Mini back in 1972 and then proceeded to have it tuned to the point it broke regularly. When it was working it was spectacular with a 0-60 time of around 6.5 seconds and a top speed of 120mph. He would get through front tyres in 3000 miles; he drove it that hard. Today you can get a Cooper S which would outperform that car with ease as well as being reliable, civilized and comfortable to boot. The aforementioned 1275 GT had to have its bulk head cut away between the engine bay and the interior of the car to squeeze in a much larger carb. The result was that you shared the inside of the car with a lightly boxed in twin choke Weber; it was an exiting place to be but never quiet.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, you lot seem a friendly bunch! I've had my state pension for a couple of years now but my wife, Ruth, is a Waspi and is a very unhappy and angry bunny right now as she feels the government has stolen her livelyhood without telling her! Add that to the fact she underwent a Knee Replacement op last Wednesday means we don't talk pensions lol! I'm waiting in a cafe right now for my rear car parking sensors to be fitted and it's freezing cold - this wind is biting! I did ask the guys fitting the things if they could improve my speakers - I daresay this will cost me lots too! Manual says I have 4 speakers but unless they count the front door speakers as 4 (because the units have both a tweeter and a lower frequency unit) then I count only 2. I came from a Harman Kardon system which plays .flac files. Mini has just the base audio system and won't play .flac files, just 320kbps MP3's. This needs rectifying somehow, so looking at several things, and will post on technical forum.

Got to admit though, I though this forum was an "American"one, so am pleased to see Brits here. Let's face it our Mini has been taken over by the Germans, in a good way but why so many Americans on this forum? Seems most car forums are ultimately taken over by them. Sorry if this seems a bit racist, but as a Brit, I just want to speak to Brits. The Mini is iconically British, with Italian inputs - God Save The Queen!!!! Hihi

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would suggest sitting in a Mini with an armrest before getting one installed, the OEM one can get in the way, there is a post discussing this elsewhere on the forum.

With the mods it depends on your budget, you could get some custom key fobs...

Or go crazy with tuning, suspension and diff mods...

My wife has also been shafted with the WASPI situation but we both have a Mini, although I prefer my Clubby Cooper S to her Cooper D hatch.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I can't agree. I love the fact that this is an international forum. The fact that the MINI is sold in so many markets worldwide and in such similar formats with the exception of trim configurations means that this forum, which I seem to think is Canadian in origin (?) enjoys input from all over the world, including our American MINI friends. (y)

PS - isn't that retail park area around Cooper MINI York depressing. So unlike the historic gem that is York city centre.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am also new to the forum but I like the fact its International. Lets hope that the global success of the Mini will encourage BMW to keep it going. Selling lots of something does usually help to keep the costs down.

Re the central arm rest I would concur that it doesn't suit everybody. I am six foot and I like it whereas my other half is just over five foot and she finds it an annoyance and folds it out of the way.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I can't agree. I love the fact that this is an international forum. The fact that the MINI is sold in so many markets worldwide and in such similar formats with the exception of trim configurations means that this forum, which I seem to think is Canadian in origin (?) enjoys input from all over the world, including our American MINI friends. (y)

PS - isn't that retail park area around Cooper MINI York depressing. So unlike the historic gem that is York city centre.
Well said! 👍

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I hope you have not got the wrong idea about what I said. I didn't complain about the forum, I merely said I prefer to discuss my car(s) with like minded fellow Brits, which I think I am doing now. I wasn't trying to drag you into a debate, I was merely expressing my view. Cars for the American market are modified significantly and it's easy sometimes to assume, when discussing a particular issue, that we are on the same page, when in actual fact we are not. Also, I know this might sound basic, but does everyone know that US Gallons are different to UK ones? This can have a big impact on quoted MPG figures, in particular. Just one example. But as contributors, I have no issues with anyone international from any country.

Central Armrest - I actually said I had fitted this and was not asking for opinions on it. It came from Verona in Italy and I had it fitted within 5 minutes - serves its purpose extremely well and as you would expect from Italy, its design is superb. Rear Parking Sensors fitted yesterday, yes in York. Why slag off a very large garage complex situated outside York centre? I guess this was just "having a go" because you seemingly got the wrong impression on what I said about the Forum. So I guess wherever you are situated does not have a large garage complex that can cater for your needs or if it has, it has been dressed up as something from the Victorian age, to make it look pretty as seems the vogue these days? Why not try to answer my main question which was - "How do I find the car's current Software Version?". Maybe too technical a question on here?

As far as other modifications are concerned I have ordered from America, believe it or not, an "Anker Roav Bolt". This seems a very promising device which will take my Google Assistant on my Samsung S10+ to a new level for handsfree use in my car. Seems they are not available in this country. My Head Unit has Bluetooth, which works fine with incoming and outgoing phone calls but am not sure what it will do as far as music playback is concerned. I hate Bluetooth for audio as it compresses the signal too much to fit it within the available bandwidth. So I was delighted to see the Head Unit has an Aux-In Connector and the ARB has an Aux-Out. I therefore should be able not only to use Spotify (which I do not prefer because it's MP3 based) but maybe play back my .flac file music collection stored on my phone. If I ditch my beloved TomTom Sat Nav (by far the best Sat Nav in the UK, including all Car Sat Navs - I've tried them all), I can get turn by turn directions on Google maps. It remains to be seen how effective this will be though as I've never tried this in my car, just for walking around beautiful Cities, like York ;) but it apparently works well with the Bolt. But I have to say I love my car in the main but miss the steering wheel buttons, which my car did not come with. So am pinning a lot of hope on the Bolt. I should receive it next week sometime.

I had some good news though from the fitters in York - the four speakers are counted as 2 x front door speakers + 2 x subwoofer units underneath the front seats - I didn't know they were there!. But was noticeable when I turned the wick up for the bass frequencies! I may possibly change the front door speakers for better units soon, which seem lacking in treble frequencies.

To summarise then, I sincerely hope you will take what I have said in banter, which is what it was, and not trying to pull me down. It's taken me over an hour to post this due to tecnical issues on the forum - is this a common feature? Just my tuppence worth :)

roz

·
Registered
563 Posts
Blimey mate what did they put in your coffee! 😂 No-one is "having a go" I promise you.

My responses to your posts and those given to you by my fellow forum members regarding arm rests were intended to be welcoming, light-hearted, constructive, conversational and humorous, and to be fair in my case I did jokingly make it clear that it was better to wait for others to respond to your technical queries than rely on anything I might come up with. 🙂

If you re-read it you'll see that my comment about York related to the dismal retail park near the dealership rather than the garage itself and were made in response to your remark about sitting in a cafe waiting for Cooper MINI to fit your sensors, which is where I assumed you were. I am very familiar with the dealership itself.

Anyway, hope that clears everything up. Enjoy your MINI.

PS - thanks for the tip about US gallons. Who knew?? 😉

·
Super Moderator
6,652 Posts
Apologies to our American friends. We love you,please keep posting. Why limit conversation to Brits(no negatives intended Brits) when there is a huge wealth of interests and experience across the world. ? Sorry rant over, not needed on our great and friendly forum. And you will of course find km and litres here from our European friends. The common thing that brings us all together is the Mini and therefore every point and opinion is valid (but if course could ie me get our facts wrong occasionally.) I haven't notice any commonality with any nationality. Nor do I look for it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Although much in the US is bigger than here in Europe, when it comes to gallons, for some reason US gallons are about 4lt whereas UK gallons are about 4.5lt. This is one of the reasons there is some confusion over MPG figures when looked at from either side of the pond.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi, i'm also from Yorkshire and used to be a regular around York with work.
I'm on my 4th Mini out of 88 cars (i get bored easily) and the Cooper S Works 210 i have now still keeps me smiling and i can honestly say i'm not even looking for a replacement yet which i usually do after 2 months (i think i've had this car 5 months?).
Over the years i've been on dozens of car forums, some good and some really bad - full of idiots, chavs, boy racers, etc but i find almost all the Mini forums are frequented by slightly more mature owners (in opinions not just of age). I used to be on another UK Mini forum a few years ago but that went under i guess as it was just UK owners on there so if you asked a question or for advice you'd be lucky to get a reply. I think it's great to see what owners around the world do with their cars as this helps filter ideas and products to our shore. Finding parts online from China (Aliexpress) which are identical (ok copies) of genuine Mini parts makes upgrading our cars a lot cheaper than going to the dealers for parts.

I know after a few days/ weeks of browsing this forum you'll find it's a very friendly place and with some knowledgeable folk

Regarding your questions - does your display have the 6.5" screen with the idrive type of remote near the gearlever or the small 2 line text screen? - if it has the display you can scroll through settings to find which software version you have. If it's the small screen i'm not sure, should be in the handbook how to find it?)

Mods are personal preference, what some of us consider tasetfull such as gloss black light and grill surrounds might look weird to someone who likes the chrome. Bonnet stripes come in many different designs but some prefer the bonnet plain.
I've got a few carbon look covers on the interior (aliexpress - cheaper then the ebay ones) which are a perfect fit and quite subtle (heater controls surround, window switches surrounds, display controller surround and a couple on steering wheel - any more then i think they would look tacky?
A popular upgrade is the union jack rear lights as fitted to later 2019> cars, i'm 50/50 undecided on them for now
I'm also considering a center armrest - is your aftermarket? the genuine on needs a full center console for it to fit - quite expensive

Oh - i have a JCW leather steering wheel for sale :sneaky:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts