Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently drive a Toyota Yaris (Yawn), don't knock it, it got me driving again after an illness. Life's too short to drive a boring car so I took a MCS out for an hour from my local dealer.................what can I say!!

Messing around with the configurator and have done as follows

Thunder Grey
Black roof / mirrors
Chilli pack
Parking pack
Reversing camera
Enhanced bluetooth
Heated screen
Comfort access

When I try and add LED headlights it tries to remove the Chilli pack!

What am I doing wrong?

when I tr

·
Registered
441 Posts
Handy hint - when adding the LED headlights, in the popup box, there's a "manually select" option. You can either remove the chili pack or add LED foglights (free).

Crazy I know!

Another way round is to add the LED foglights... the popup forces you to have the LED headlights too!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah, I do the same. So annoying when that happens!

You spec sounds perfect though @Dollyman! You're absolutely right about life being too short to drive boring cars. :)

Are you going to place an order?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow, another quirk in the configurator.

I'd already sussed out that adding enhanced bluetooth gave you VB radio, armrest etc for £90.00 less than VB radio on its own, not like BMW to give anything away is it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Profiteroles, that worked fine....who programmed this?

Midnight Black...........I wont be able to place an order until early March as my current lease ends in June. It's going to be a very long wait. Going to look at an Audi A1, not an S1 unfortunately, and a Merc A class but I dont think either will have the MCS excitement factor.

·
Registered
998 Posts
i tried the A Class - lovely car & the auto box was superb. the one thing that really put me off was the stuck on display screen that sticks up on the top of the dash. its a horrible design, its not even high resolution & if you don't get sat nav all it displays are the stereo .

The Volvo V40 was a very close contender as well but i decided i wasn't ready for that lifestyle choice just yet

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
I hate how the merc looks. A bit like the bmw 1 series hatch. Look s like a bath tub. Sorry yuk,couldn't bear one just because if of its appeareance.yet I loved the c class. Each to their own.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dollyman - I was thinking of the A-class: I actually love the look of the car's exterior - especially the A250 in Mountain Grey. I wasn't so keen on the interior. As Hat says, the screen had a certain tacked-on feel, and the quality of the plastics used in the dash was rather downmarket too, I thought. I did take the A180 for a spin, but found it quite boring to drive. Was very tempted by the A250 Sport (love the diamond grill), but was put off by the relatively high running costs and the hard ride. Like you, I took the Mini Cooper out for a test drive and very quickly it ticked all the boxes - good looks, performance, quality interior, fun...and far more economical to run than the Merc. Still waiting for my Mini, but I'm already sure I made the right choice.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks Profiteroles, that worked fine....who programmed this?

Midnight Black...........I wont be able to place an order until early March as my current lease ends in June. It's going to be a very long wait. Going to look at an Audi A1, not an S1 unfortunately, and a Merc A class but I dont think either will have the MCS excitement factor.
That's going to feel like a very long wait indeed!

I also had a look at the A1 as well. However, like the Mercedes A-Class, they will be replaced with a facelifted version later in 2015.

Also, be warned with the A-Class, many parts of the car are actually shared with a Dacia Sandero.......

Anyways, let us know what you go for! :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will have driven them all by mid December. I see that the A1 has vanished off the Audi configurator, sure sign that a new model is imminent. I saw a while back that the small diesel in the A class was a Renault / Dacia unit: MB make great large engines but have lost the plot with the smaller units.

Barring something earth shattering being released in the next few months I'm pretty convinced it will be a MCS.

Thanks to all for your help to a MINI novice.

·
Registered
F57 Sidewalk Edition Cooper S
46 Posts
I will have driven them all by mid December. I see that the A1 has vanished off the Audi configurator, sure sign that a new model is imminent. I saw a while back that the small diesel in the A class was a Renault / Dacia unit: MB make great large engines but have lost the plot with the smaller units.

Barring something earth shattering being released in the next few months I'm pretty convinced it will be a MCS.

Thanks to all for your help to a MINI novice.
I had a A class before my MIni 5 door, I changed it with only 20 months old, my wife was really bored with this car, with no power between 1200-2000 rpm, and I had the 1.8 mercedes engineer. Actually all A180CDI are 1.5 Renault. (both manual& automatic)

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
My word I had no idea. Is a lot of the merc. Renault based then?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's a fair bit of MB / Renault co-operation these days in the engine & transmission areas. Also the new Kangoo was a joint effort I understand, MB sell it as the Citian van but the Kangoo car has not been sold in the UK for a couple of years now.

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Amazing, mind you they are all doing it these days to cut costs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the industry term for it is Common Component Engineering..........that can cover a multitude of sins, or am I being a cynical old git!

·
Registered
F57 Sidewalk Edition Cooper S
46 Posts
Even more, the new C-Class will also incorporate a Renault engine in its input range (C180CDI and C200CDI).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.