Mini Cooper Forum banner

Best interior combo for carbon black leatherette sports seats? (Without moonroof)

• Mini Yours Off White + Anthracite Headliner

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Mini Yours Off White + Standard Headliner

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Piano Black + Standard Headliner

Votes: 7 31.8%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all :)

I've been grappling with the interior for my custom-order mini cooper hardtop.
The exterior will be deep blue with white roof, side mirrors, and bonnet stripes. I am getting the sports package with LED lights, plus white turn signals.

As for the interior, so far I know I want the standard carbon black leatherette (sports seats). I'm also set on a few adorable accents like a white mirror cap, Union Jack door sills, and textile floor mats.

I thought it would be nice to bring some white accents into the interior, so at first I loved the "Mini Yours Interior" in Off-White. But, I wonder if it would clash way too much with the standard headliner. Too much going on?

A simple solution would be to add the anthracite headliner. Except I'm not getting a sunroof, and I don't know if it will make the interior feel too enclosed/dark. The black has an elegant and "serious" feel, IMO, and in general I think the standard headliner makes the interior more airy and casual.

So I'm torn between three interior combinations with the sports carbon black leatherette seats:
1. Off White accents/Anthracite headliner
2. Off White accents/Standard headliner
3. Piano black accents/Standard headliner

Pics attached from the "configurator." Any advice? Anyone have an anthracite headliner without a sunroof-- does it feel too dark/enclosed? I've only been able to sit in one with a sunroof at the dealer, and I heard that makes a big difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
With a dark blue car a light interior is classy.
It will also make to car look roomier :)
Black is adding to coolness and roominess is already created with sunroof.
So it is all about personal taste :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi all :)

I've been grappling with the interior for my custom-order mini cooper hardtop.
The exterior will be deep blue with white roof, side mirrors, and bonnet stripes. I am getting the sports package with LED lights, plus white turn signals.

As for the interior, so far I know I want the standard carbon black leatherette (sports seats). I'm also set on a few adorable accents like a white mirror cap, Union Jack door sills, and textile floor mats.

I thought it would be nice to bring some white accents into the interior, so at first I loved the "Mini Yours Interior" in Off-White. But, I wonder if it would clash way too much with the standard headliner. Too much going on?

A simple solution would be to add the anthracite headliner. Except I'm not getting a sunroof, and I don't know if it will make the interior feel too enclosed/dark. The black has an elegant and "serious" feel, IMO, and in general I think the standard headliner makes the interior more airy and casual.

So I'm torn between three interior combinations with the sports carbon black leatherette seats:
1. Off White accents/Anthracite headliner
2. Off White accents/Standard headliner
3. Piano black accents/Standard headliner

Pics attached from the "configurator." Any advice? Anyone have an anthracite headliner without a sunroof-- does it feel too dark/enclosed? I've only been able to sit in one with a sunroof at the dealer, and I heard that makes a big difference.
My Cooper D is similar in some respects to the specification you are considering...

I chose Dark Blue with a white roof (I think Dark Blue with a black roof looks odd), but I have chrome mirror caps/chrome-line exterior. I did not specify white bonnet/hood stripes after finding that they got marked & soon looked scruffy on my last MINI.

For the interior, I have the sport seats with Carbon Black part-leather/diamond cloth with the (standard for UK) Hazy Grey trim. NB: every person who has been in my car has commented positively on how well the diamond pattern on the Hazy Grey fascia matches the seats.

I always choose the Anthracite headlining as, in my opinion, this looks vastly better than the standard colour - particularly the associated plastic trim parts - and I do not have a sunroof.

To 'lift' the interior, I have the chrome-line interior and, by comparison, I think the off-white trim (around the air-vents, for example) looks cheap & nasty!

You can also add one of the colour line options - I didn't this time as I've had that option before and wasn't keen on the choice for the F56 model....

Have you seen the off-white interior for yourself on a car - or just in the brochure/configurator? Also, piano black shows every fingerprint and is best avoided IMHO

Another benefit of having anthracite is that the Harman/Kardon tweeters in the base of the windscreen pillars look superb (as they have a black surround) and they sound even better! If you haven't selected the H/K upgrade, you should!!

One final option which I love, and has been positively noticed for its red stitching & perforated leather by passengers, is the JCW Steering Wheel (because I went for the CHILI pack, this cost just £50 in the UK - now £75).

I hope these comments are of interest & assistance. JJH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, please keep the opinions coming, so far you've all been really helpful :)

Yesterday I drove to a dealer at a different city (2 hours away) because they have many more minis on their lot than our local dealer. I was able to sit in interiors with both the anthracite and standard headliner and compare -- the anthracite without the sunroof felt really nice, to my surprise. Elegant and not too serious because of all the interior lights. But I still wonder if I go all black - will it be too dark for my deep blue exterior?

I also saw the mini yours off white in person -- and it looks so different than I imagined! It does look "cheaper" than other interior accents. On the bright side, it reminded my husband and me of the Enterprise's aesthetic in TNG, and hey that's kind of fun :p

I'm leaning against the mini yours off white now and still undecided about the headliner. Thinking of different ways I could brighten the carbon black interior. I originally loved satellite gray lounge seats, but we'll be getting a small dog soon and imagine light seats would get dirty in no time.

In the meantime, I'm looking into pics of the chrome accents (thanks for that tip!) and dash or liner options that can help lighten a black interior. Looking forward to any other thoughts :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
had same hesitations as you, albeit not the same interior. felt the anthracite was too dark, the standard is fine, no plastic parts (or almost) as in the previous car, so does not look cheap. What i did as i still wanted to have some anthracite parts is to ask the dealer to install anthracite A pillars. That will cost you less monies while enjoying still the contrast with the inserts and avoiding too dark interior !

as for the grey interior, when i saw it picture in the mini leaflet and website, i decided to opt for. But when i saw it in reality.. well, nice but too difficult for maintenance, the model exposed at the dealer was already full of spots... think before ordering the car, its worth seeing the configuration to avoid being disappointed.

·
Registered
F57 Sidewalk Edition Cooper S
46 Posts
Standar, always standar, anthracite is too dark and in a small car does not looks fine. I had a A Class 176 with dark headline and was too black

·
Registered
3 Posts
Standar, always standar, anthracite is too dark and in a small car does not looks fine. I had a A Class 176 with dark headline and was too black
I've also moved from an A class 176 with antracite headline and I loved it so much that I choose the antracite on my new F56.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Even though it does make the interior darker I opted for it on the F 55.
I think that the switchgear in the roof matches better as it is black.
I wanted an oval black field to the car so also chose black wheels, roof and mirror caps.
It's also just a little different to the norm for a relatively low cost upgrade.
On the other hand my wife's F 56 has aluminium Silver wheels and has chosen the great headlining but still has the black roof and mirror caps.
You pays your money you takes your choice!
All this is probably too late as you've made your choice I'd imagine by now.
Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.