Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all! New and loving owner of a used and out of warranty 2015 mini here.

The HK speakers provided me such joy the first month of owning this vehicle and cranking the volume with windows down - with music up to 80% or so via USB input. But it seems either I pushed the system too hard or something else blew as I now have a very annoying distortion / buzz occurring over 70% volume or anytime the amplitude peaks (most noticeable for example on a loud phone call - the speakers prominently and annoyingly buzz). Mostly, the buzz seems to occur in the mid range (not the base or subwoofers), so it’s made most music in the car a joyless experience and very difficult to make phone calls or listen to audio books where any loud speaking voice triggers the buzz. Mid ranges in the music in general that once sounded crystal clear sound buzzy and like the audio is muddy above 70% volume (base is totally fine and on base heavy tracks you can’t really notice the problem but softer music or classical music it’s very grating)

I took it to dealer today and they basically just advised me to not turn up the volume and live with the issue and because it wasn’t isolated to one speaker clearly, it would be cost prohibitive to fix (they said $350 just to diagnose for two hours and then upwards of who knows what for parts and labor).

The speaker issue happens over USB (multiple cables), Aux, and Bluetooth

Can anyone advise? Is it possible the amp is the issue or did I damage speaker membranes cranking the jams and a solution would be to replace all the speakers with say a cheaper DIY option like the BAVSOUND kit?

Appreciate any advice !

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve had this issue in my F54 with the HK system. Narrowed it down to the center mid range speaker, buzzing would happen at higher volumes, especially during phone calls. I replaced all the speakers, including the subs, with the BavSound setup and still had the same issue. I was so confused and frustrated that I ended up just unplugging the center-mid and tweeter. Then 2 months later I decided to try and tackle the issue again. I noticed on the center mid speaker that the wires that run up from the base of the speaker to the cone were laying against the cone itself. I took a pair of pliers and pulled them away from the cone and ever since then I haven’t any buzzing.

It’s a long shot but maybe this is your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve had this issue in my F54 with the HK system. Narrowed it down to the center mid range speaker, buzzing would happen at higher volumes, especially during phone calls. I replaced all the speakers, including the subs, with the BavSound setup and still had the same issue. I was so confused and frustrated that I ended up just unplugging the center-mid and tweeter. Then 2 months later I decided to try and tackle the issue again. I noticed on the center mid speaker that the wires that run up from the base of the speaker to the cone were laying against the cone itself. I took a pair of pliers and pulled them away from the cone and ever since then I haven’t any buzzing.

It’s a long shot but maybe this is your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I think this is EXACTLY my issue. I've tried to figure out where the buzzing is coming and it sounds like it is coming from the main center speaker (determined by using the balance/fader and seeing it get worse or less) and it is SPECIFICALLY during phone calls that I hear the issue the worst (on a longer phone call the buzzing is near enough to drive a man insane). I also hear that level of feedback distortion on acoustic songs/anything in the "person talking" audio range. It is so nuts. This comment is so helpful and may be the exact issue I'm trying to fix as I don't think the speakers could have all possibly blown out and I'm afraid to go around spending money replacing amps and changing speakers that before sounded great when THIS could be the source of the buzz! You are a god-send - will let you know if this solves it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: tried that fix - the wires weren't crossed at all. I could hear the buzzing still in the other speakers (though it's way less annoying than the center console) so I'm guessing this is an Amp problem. Or maybe just the HK aren't meant to go as loud as I like them, though I could swear I blasted music first months of owning this car and never heard distortion and audio calls never buzzed like a bee the whole time.

Either I get the Bavsounds and replace all the mids/tweeters next or I replace the amp - not sure what to do.

In meantime, left middle speaker unplugged as the problem is honestly not too noticeable without that center speaker buzzing in my face every time someone calls me.

Thx for your help - I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi - update is I replaced all the speakers with Bavsound upgrade for Harmon Kardon, but even after doing so, the central midrange speaker kept buzzing whenever specific frequencies played. I took it out and found that it was buzzing mostly when it was set into the cage, so I elevated it with some foam and what not, and that helped for awhile, until it started buzzing again after a couple of wonderful drives of it not doing so. I finally just unplugged the central midrange speaker and now enjoy wonderful sound in all speakers except my center speaker, which sucks. I finally tried to order a new midrange speaker from Bavsound and just tried to plug it in, and the plug-and--play cord isn't even working anymore to connect to any speaker. My feeling is it's a bad connection that causes that speaker to distort, buzz, and eventually the cord just gave out? I don't know, the whole thing has been stupid, a huge waste of money and time, and frustrating cause I otherwise love my MINI.

Probably was just an AMP issue the whole time, but to replace the amp was $1k, so I never went in that direction.

So I'm back to having a great sound system that is missing the central speaker, which feels a bit odd in the car like it's not quite loud enough. But it is what it is at this point - I give up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi - update is I replaced all the speakers with Bavsound upgrade for Harmon Kardon, but even after doing so, the central midrange speaker kept buzzing whenever specific frequencies played. I took it out and found that it was buzzing mostly when it was set into the cage, so I elevated it with some foam and what not, and that helped for awhile, until it started buzzing again after a couple of wonderful drives of it not doing so. I finally just unplugged the central midrange speaker and now enjoy wonderful sound in all speakers except my center speaker, which sucks. I finally tried to order a new midrange speaker from Bavsound and just tried to plug it in, and the plug-and--play cord isn't even working anymore to connect to any speaker. My feeling is it's a bad connection that causes that speaker to distort, buzz, and eventually the cord just gave out? I don't know, the whole thing has been stupid, a huge waste of money and time, and frustrating cause I otherwise love my MINI.

Probably was just an AMP issue the whole time, but to replace the amp was $1k, so I never went in that direction.

So I'm back to having a great sound system that is missing the central speaker, which feels a bit odd in the car like it's not quite loud enough. But it is what it is at this point - I give up.
Sorry - I know this is an old thread, but I'm having this same issue in my '23 Cooper SE with HK audio.

Whenever I'm playing spoken word audio (Audiobooks, Podcasts, and ESPECIALLY phone calls) I get a bad distortion from the center speaker. I haven't taken it out to investigate, but plan on doing so this weekend. Just wanted to see if you had any other insight since this post? (If you still have the Mini/etc)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts