Mini Cooper Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
I don’t have an option to manually update on mine either, but when you said you were getting the error "Software on USB device not suitable for this vehicle.", I figured you must have it on yours.

Not sure what to suggest now beyond trying to source the maps from somewhere else in case there’s an issue with the ones they sent you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's what I'm thinking too. Not sure where or how I got that message to come up. I recall seeing on some blog about a button to press after I stick the USB drive in but I don't recall what it was. It seems like a detail that BMNav would have put in the instructions. Maybe if by some miracle of God they call me back, I might get that information. I'll try searching online again about what button to press to get it to search the USB drive. I'll update here if/when I figure it out. I appreciate the assistance Ventmore. Take care and be safe out there!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Guess what comes up when I search online? Directions for a BMW installation/upgrade. It doesn't move to the Navigation "automatically". It leaves out a few details like starting the car or just in Accessory mode. It then says to select 'Start Update' but I never get here. No Love man....! lol
1592856225085.png

·
Registered
309 Posts
Are you on Mac or Windows?

Interesting that they mention the Mac can create hidden files that will cause the USB to be unreadable in the MINI.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I also found this on another forum:

1. Some USB drives come with a hidden partition at the front of the drive. Make sure to go into Disk Management (for Windows) or Disk Utility (OSX) and delete all partitions. Then recreate a single partition formatted FAT32 (Windows) or FAT (OSX, it's FAT32 by default).
  2. For Mac users, OSX places a series of hidden files on the USB stick which may cause the NBT not to properly read the data. Use a utility like Blue Harvest to remove all the hidden files/folders from the USB stick.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you used a Mac, did you set the partition scheme to “Master Boot Record” when you formatted the stick?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Mac comment is interesting. I've heard others had some issues with that, but that's assuming you used a Mac.
Sadly, I have the Next maps, and the EVO maps, but not the Way maps.
There is no menu to select, it "should" just pop up when you plug the USB in.
You mentioned the "Software on USB device...", I'm wondering if you tried the Software Update option and got that message. (That's a different upgrade).
You've started your car when trying this right?
So when you plug your USB into your computer, you just see the 1 folder, and the three files right? (The fact some of them are zero bytes is correct.)

I've always used FAT32 but exFAT should work.

Just not sure what's wrong,...

Dan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you on Mac or Windows?

Interesting that they mention the Mac can create hidden files that will cause the USB to be unreadable in the MINI.
Ventmore....sorry for the delayed reply. This is on a Windows 10 PC. I verified that I see 3 files and 1 folder on the Root of the USB drive. I have formatted it in FAT32 and tried exFAT as well. Same thing. I've put in several Help Desk tickets with vendor and no response whatsoever. Sending a warning to everyone to be VERY careful when dealing with BMNavigation.co

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Mac comment is interesting. I've heard others had some issues with that, but that's assuming you used a Mac.
Sadly, I have the Next maps, and the EVO maps, but not the Way maps.
There is no menu to select, it "should" just pop up when you plug the USB in.
You mentioned the "Software on USB device...", I'm wondering if you tried the Software Update option and got that message. (That's a different upgrade).
You've started your car when trying this right?
So when you plug your USB into your computer, you just see the 1 folder, and the three files right? (The fact some of them are zero bytes is correct.)

I've always used FAT32 but exFAT should work.

Just not sure what's wrong,...

Dan
Navwizard.....thanks for the suggestions. I'm using a Windows 10 PC and tried both formats to see if it would read but no luck. Was hoping to hear back from vendor, BMNavigationupdate.co but nothing. Absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ventmore....sorry for the delayed reply. This is on a Windows 10 PC. I verified that I see 3 files and 1 folder on the Root of the USB drive. I have formatted it in FAT32 and tried exFAT as well. Same thing. I've put in several Help Desk tickets with vendor and no response whatsoever. Sending a warning to everyone to be VERY careful when dealing with BMNavigation.co
Thanks for the update...sorry to hear they didn’t resolve this for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Navwizard.....thanks for the suggestions. I'm using a Windows 10 PC and tried both formats to see if it would read but no luck. Was hoping to hear back from vendor, BMNavigationupdate.co but nothing. Absolutely nothing.
Sorry to weigh in here, but what USB stick are you using and what size? I've found that its worth putting the root files onto varying sized USBs (pay attention if its 2.0 and 3.0, they don't tend to be interchangable) and then try again. The USB is being detected, but the system cannot read it likely because of the USB itself, not the format type.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bumped across this post by chance and work as a support staff for BMNAVIGATION Updates – 2020 Navigation Map Updates and therefore I am surprised by your claim that the support ticket has not been answered. The website has Live Chat support that's available for almost 16 hours a day and you could have always reached an agent on Live Chat with your issue. Have you been able to resolve your issue? Please send us an email via the form on the website or reach us via live chat and we should be able to sort out your installation issue asap. I may further add that we have a Full Refund policy in place should you not be able to install the updates even after the trouble shooting support!

In either case we do apologize for any unintended inconvenience or a temporary delayed response due to staffing issues resulting from COVID restrictions. Installing map updates is usually quite straight forward and most issues can be traced to either a improperly setup USB disk, an incomplete download or use of the wrong port. Hopefully we should have the problem diagnosed and resolved quickly once we have identified your order details.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts