Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have for almost 2 years a mini cooper sd f55 (5 door).

When i'm on a higway curve (slight, but noticable curve, left or right, does not matter) doing 70MPH (120KPH) and remove sudently my foot from the gas (acelerator) the car jumps forward and then starts do reduce speed. It does not have this jump on a strait line..

This is so so so scary... because the car become uncompensated...

The dealership says this is normal, but the car did not do this... and i'm really scared about this situation...

Can any one check if this is a "normal" thing?
Does any one knows if this is a problem that already had happen to someone?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
844 Posts
That does not sound normal.

Are your tyres in good condition and at the correct pressure? Does the handling of the car seem OK at slower speeds?

The dealer says it is normal! Ask to borrow another car from them to see if it is the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

The front tires are new and are the same brand and model as the ones that came with the car.
They have the correct pressure (for 3 passages without any luggage).
Yes, at slow speeds (under 30MPH, 50KPH) there is nothing to complain about, over that speed is slightly noticeable, at speeds over 60MPH (100KPH) is totally noticeable...

I will ask for a similar car and test it...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have experienced this too but it haven't got round to going to see about it yet. It is almost like a surge after you remove your foot off the pedal. I have found it happens to me mostly in normal and sport mode but have yet to experience it in green. Not sure what would cause it. I have also only really had it while doing a short burst of speed followed by a quick lift off so could it be down to the turbo pressure not shutting off or something similar? And yes mine is an SD as well (may 2015).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great! You describe exactly what is happening with my car... we are 2 now...

Not sure if it is something related to turbo, since on a straight line it does not have this effect... just cornering on moderate to high speeds... no matter the side, the same happen turning left or right...

I think it is getting worse... to the point that i don't feel comfortable with this kind of behavior... it does not give me confidence to drive my mini like it is supposed to be driven... since I’m always afraid that the car become unstable...

Let’s see if someone else has this kind of problem...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have to go to my dealer sometime soon anyway for the rear view mirror gel pack thing is leaking and I will be bringing this up with them. Just not sure when it will be as I am trying to sort out moving house as well at the minute. I will keep this up to date when I get some answers

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the same problem and i don't know if it's normal in this car but it's definetly not normal and unsafe, i think it's because the traction control engages because it's thinks something is wrong or because both brakes apply ate the same pressure forcing the car to go forward ( because in curves wheels travel at different speed)
I will tell the dealer ablut the problem in the next service but i don't think they will do anything about it
This is my second mini and i don't recall that the previous mini had the same problem
My current mini is almost brand new, just took delivery 2 months ago and i made sure tire pressure is good and the the tpms isn't displaying any faults
I agree with it's extremely terrifying and i'm always afraid that it does so when i'm trying to prevent any sort of crash

·
Registered
39 Posts
No mine is a 2dr with the 1.5 petrol engine
I don't think the engine matters because i think it's the electronics that is doing this

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have a 3-door SD and this has yet to happen to me, mine is Auto though - it may differ if you have a manual. I do recall feeling a sensation in my F56 Cooper D manual that could be similar to this but it happened at town speeds not motorway speeds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have Cooper S manual and it does not do that.
The only thing I can see that jerk would be on Auto trans where it will down shift because you let the gas go.
The car trany is getting ready for the lower power band.

I would have it checked at least.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, i've tooked the car to the dealer and they say it is normal... Then even wrote a letter saying that...
But... it isn't normal... This is something really really dangerous!

Can any one suggest something that i can do to try to solve this problem?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.