Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help mini brake noise/and BMW/Mini service centra

My misses picked up her 6 4 plate Mini Cooper S 2.0 Automatic on the first day of registration, and from the very start the brakes made a grinding noise when applied, the noise isn't very loud and is best heard when driving very slowly and gently applying the brakes, the same noise can be heard when braking, normally, or from speed, providing no one is talking and the music is off,
So it's a grinding noise that isn't very loud, and sounds like the noise you get when your pads are worn down to the metal, ( but not as loud)
I told the misses that because it was a showroom car, and had been sitting a while ( hopefully) that the brakes just needed to be used a bit, anyway it's now been 1499 miles and the noise is still there, the misses doesn't notice it, but I'm a retired mechanic, so pick up on things like this real easy,
Anyway we had a discussion and I was going to have a look and probably change the rear pads, as I believe the noise is coming from there, only because, if, when rolling very slowly, I apply the handbrake gently, I can hear the same noise, ( if I apply the handbrake harder the car stops lol )
But we phoned a BMW service centra and booked it in for a check, when we arrived, I took a technician out to the car and reversed, I applied the foot brake and he said he could hear it grinding,
So we left it with them, later that day my misses phones me and says,
" they said they have put it on the machine and tested it like blar blar blar, nothing wrong, but going to keep the car over night as a technician was goner look at it
( long story.... Short ) I phoned them up,
Look I say, it has got to be easier to take of the wheels and whip out the pads, and visually inspect them, than to keep plugging in your machines ( which by the sounds of some of the post on this forum, cant diagnose much anyway) plus your technician heard the noise himself, coming from the back,
From the back ??? Ohh it says here that the noise comes from the front,
No, say I, I'm sure it's the rear, as the noise is the same if you apply the handbrake,
No, says the service manager, at nine elms, all of them make that noise if you pull up the handbrake !!!!
Now, I thought to myself, hold up, does this man think I'm a mushroom, ?? My mates mini makes no grinding noise when u pull the handbrake up gently, and neither does my cousins,
So, told him I'm a retired mechanic, and as we all know, diagnostic machines are only as good as the person using them, and even then, they often misdiagnose , plus, how would there machine be able to tell me if there a small stone in the pad, or if there was a defect in the manufacture of the pads fitted to our mini, he then went on to explain in detail, how there diagnostic machines where at the leading edge, yer well, I don't think so, anyway, he then said he was getting another mini like ours in tomorrow to see if it's a feature of that particular model, ( the mind boggles, just whip out the pads and have a look )
So now we're waiting to see if the other mini grinds like our one, ( please, are u sure, ) and if it does, what then, oh and by the way, that was yesterday, the other mini didn't arrive, apparently there having problems finding one like ours, ( really??? Isn't the brake setup the same on a whole range of mini,s ?? ) so now the other mini, is coming in tomorrow at 10. am . and we are waiting to see what happens then, the thing is, if I was hearing this from someone else, I would be laughing so much, my teeth would fall out, why oh why didn't I just jack up the car and change the rear pads myself, ?? The real thing here is that I honestly feel like the dealer is just fobbing me off, not really even worried about how I may feel about the very poor service i think I'm getting,
Thing is, maybe it's just me, but if someone had just spent £32.000 on a mini with my company, I'd make sure I did everything possible to sort out the problem ( which has been there from new)
I understand that no one can just throw parts at a car in the hope it will repair it ( the service managers response to me saying it's got to be cheaper for you to just put a pair of rear pads on ) ( along with, the discussion about getting authority for the replacement,
So, latest news is, if it's the rear pads there not covered under the warranty, which I would normally except, but this noise has been from delivery of the car, so, what do we do now??
Maybe I should just go and get it and do it myself, the misses is even worried now that the car will be taken on extended test drives, ( please don't let there be more than 3 or 4 miles on the clock) test drives wouldn't be needed, the noise can be heard on the forecourt much more easily, all of which we explained,
Anyway if you got to the end of this post, thanks for at least bearing with me why I pour out my worries and thoughts to the world.
If you think you can answer any of my questions, or help out with some advice, thanks, maybe you fancy popping over to battersea to change these rear brakes. Lol
Thanks in advance MrA

·
Registered
890 Posts
The winter tyres I have at present on my Mini non S Cooper run much more quietly than the delivery tyres and I can certainly hear the brakes lightly rubbing when applied at very low speed. I couldn't hear it with the normal tyres.

I wouldn't call it grinding though, but I know what you mean!

Non asbestos brake pads apparently can be noisier than the older types due to the different materials used in their construction, perhaps better quality ones may be quieter?

I do get more of a louder temporary scuff,scuff sort of noise, if the car hasn't been used for a day or so and the discs have slightly rusted, as the pads clear off the surface rust.

Both noises I assume are normal as the brakes work normally and I expect my dealer would not be very interested if I complained.

You are right, IMO of course, in having doubts about how any electronic diagnostic equipment could possibly analyse a rubbing/grinding brake noise, unless technology has really leapt forward recently!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Min brake noise, grinding!

Hi MrA,

Did you get a resolution?? I have just picked up a 64 plate Cooper S Auto. It is 1 year old exactly but only had 8 miles on it so had been in the showroom it seems.

I have exactly the same noise as you, I can really notice it a low speed. I am in London too and when creeping along in traffic with foot on the brake it's very noticeable and it doesn't sound healthy.

If I hit the brakes hard there's no noise and it very definitely sounds like it's coming from the rear brakes to me. I have not tested the hand brake yet to see if I get the same but I didn't get a creaking noise a few days back when the handbrake was on and I got in and out of the car. I only weigh 12 stone so not exactly over loading it!

Any advice would be great as I am going to get onto Nine Elms tomorrow as I am getting water droplets and foggy patches in my front lanterns. Rather ruins the Slick LED look!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any resolution

Hi MrA,

I have a 64 plate with exactly the same issue!

It's my wife's car and I drove it and it is super noticeable at low speed. It seems to be the rear too.

Did you get a resolution? Ours is an auto too and it is most noticeable when in slow traffic in London.

I had planned to book into Nine Elms to get it checked out, along with my LED head lamps which are fogged up intermittently when it's colder outside.

Would love some ammo to go in with to fight my case.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My brakes which as I mentioned earlier were noisy seem to have settled down and only make a rubbing noise briefly if they get a bit of light surface rust on them, if they have been unused for a while in rainy weather.

It did report my concerns but agreed to give them time to bed in and they are OK now. I had forgotten about the noise until I read this thread again.

Some have had discs replaced due to excessive rust/pitting, but if the discs look OK then it may be that the pad/disc combination used on Minis take a while to work together quietly.
My car is at about 10,000 miles now, but the brakes have been quiet for many months.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I had my rear discs/pads replaced under warranty at ~3000miles. I highlighted to my service manager (when I was in for other work) that my rear brakes were grinding under light pressure ...they were preforming fine i.e. no dragging etc..... and I wondered if I maybe needed them cleaned (it was November time and I wondered if grit/salt had got in) but I got a phonecall from the SM to say that the discs were badly pitted/scored and that they'd be replaced with the pads FOC as they shouldn't be in that bad a state in 3000 miles. This set have done 6000 miles and they're still fine.

Might be worth telling the service dept that others have had theirs replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello

I have a new mini cooper and a mini one ... both have the same issue as you have just described

regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello

So any solutions on this ? or is it a case of changing the pads and disks for a different spec or make ? not something you should be doing on a new car to be honest. My z4 35is does not do it nor did all my other z4's to be honest.

both our minis (one and a cooper) are 64 plates and less then a year old ... also we had trouble with the glass creaking on the window seals, so had to use Gumipledge on that

Good cars but perhaps my expectations are to high for them ?

regards

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've just got my car back today after taking it in with this very problem. They said the rear pads were completely worn out (I'm not clear why the wear indicators didn't pick this up) and had damaged the discs as a result, the car has done just over 19,000 miles. They replaced the discs under warrantee but wanted me to pay £110 for the pads. I said I wasn't happy about this and so they reduced this to £55. I'm still not happy and may take this up with MINI. I've never had a new car where the rear pads wear out before the fronts ..... and no, I haven't spent most of my time driving backwards!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Someone else on this forum, apologies to that person I can't remember who it was, pointed out that the dynamic stability system or DCS uses the rear brakes as a way of ensuring the car remains balanced while in motion, in particular if being driven quickly when cornering.

If the rear brakes are chattering away all the time, controlled by the stability control system, and the pads are thinner than the fronts anyway, I can see that they will wear out more quickly than expected.

The DCS must be a bit over sensitive if that is the case, I would have thought it only would be activated if things were getting a bit near the limit. Perhaps not.

It can always be switched off each time you start up of course, and just have the traction control active.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If both sets of rear pads had gone .. then the wear sensor should have picked this up

so no noise currently then ?

regards

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Mine were faulty Trombonist .... so were replaced under warranty. But they sounded like they were heading the same way as yours.

I'm against these new 20K service intervals. If cars were still serviced at 12K then we wouldn't find ourselves in these situations where our brakes etc are worn out. I think these days, modern brake pads last a shorter time due to what they can use to make them, I think for environmental reasons, so they tend to be generally softer?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok

Been to dealer .. said I know exactly what your are saying but is a characteristic of the car ! how I was I surprised they where going to say that .. just like the creeking glass against the door seals and the windscreen wiper mechanism that made a racket when in use) both items where fixed under warranty.

This is really annoying as our friends ford ka ( year old) make no noise at all ..

not sure what to do now ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just been thinking

I think there is going to be a new characteristic of a owner/customer .. its called taking my money else where to a different manufacture very quickly !!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Someone else on this forum, apologies to that person I can't remember who it was, pointed out that the dynamic stability system or DCS uses the rear brakes as a way of ensuring the car remains balanced while in motion, in particular if being driven quickly when cornering.

If the rear brakes are chattering away all the time, controlled by the stability control system, and the pads are thinner than the fronts anyway, I can see that they will wear out more quickly than expected.

The DCS must be a bit over sensitive if that is the case, I would have thought it only would be activated if things were getting a bit near the limit. Perhaps not.

It can always be switched off each time you start up of course, and just have the traction control active.
I agree with the dynamic braking. You can feel the brakes stabbing on the rears if you take a roundabout a bit quick. I imagine because these are applied in short sharp bursts constantly that it wears more than the fronts which are generally used more calmly.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Agreed re the wear BUT they shouldnt make a noise; my wipers are near as silent as any car i have had and my brakes too. Therefore it is NOT a characteristic of the car and you are being fobbed off by the dealer! i'd suggest you try another-taking your custom elsewhere or threatening it usually works.
I have to say i do have some window creak but i'd rather sortthat myself! frameless windows look nice but you cant beat the rigidity of a frame-bet the 5 door doesnt suffer-but i may be wrong!
If you saw making cars live on the bbc you'll have seen the creak tester in the second one; there should be no rattle creak at all! if there is there's something wrong-get the dealer to watch it on i player!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I am having the same problem with my mini cooper 65 plate. I took it to the garage after 16 months when it started making a strange grinding noise on the back rear passengers side - £345.00 later on new pads & disc I went to pick it up last night and the noise was still there... took another car home and waiting for an outcome today. I was told that Mini brakes make a noise! Well mine never has since I bought it brand new... How do I complain I am going to defo take this further.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts