Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been trying to do some research on this, but ultimately fruitless and irritating.

Does anyone have any recommendations for best phone holders? Ideally for an iPhone X, don't mind if it's magnetic, stuck on, attached to a vent etc but just want to know what works best for people?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found vent mount in a mini just doesn't work because the vents are such a unique shape so rule that one out.

In the end I went for a suction mount baseus model that isn't magnetic (I had a magnetic one but found my pixel 2 XL fell off with bumps) it uses gravity to clasp the phone as you drop it in...so the weight of the phone forces the side arms to close and hold it.

You can put it on the windshield or on the dashboard. I have mine to the right of the steering wheel stuck on the dash which I prefer to having it near the centre console but then I use android auto on the phone for navigation so find this to be perfect.

It's under £10 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GBW5XJ1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_U9oeDbFS9YCDK

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have to disagree about the vent mounts, I have a Spigen magnetic mount for the vents and have it on the vent between the steering wheel and the central display, I use it with an iPhone X and I've routed an angled USB cable from the USB connection under the centre console up and round, tucking it in - I don't use the cable very often, but it's there when I need to charge my phone. It holds the phone really well, I don't need to see my phone while driving but it's in a good position and it rests on the knob for the air vent so it stops it from sliding down (though I don't think it would as it has quite a strong magnetic grip). It's also nice and discreet and when the phone isn't on it you don't really notice the mount. I've attached a couple of pics :)

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting... I always found the twist knob on the vents gets in the way.

Whatever works! I to also route the usb cable along the line of the trim just using some card board wrapped around the cable to hold it in place. Makes for a very snug and almost invisible cabling setup.

Here's mine (photo now attached).

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don’t need my phone on display but I don’t like it in my pocket so I bought a little 50p net that’s sticks next to the door handle. Perfect fit.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Interesting... I always found the twist knob on the vents gets in the way.

Whatever works! I to also route the usb cable along the line of the trim just using some card board wrapped around the cable to hold it in place. Makes for a very snug and almost invisible cabling setup.

Here's mine (photo now attached).
We have the same Cottonwood dash :D

The bottom of the phone (i.e. where the lightning port is) just rests on the top part of the knob, I sit it slightly to the right so that I can still plug the lightning cable in too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have the same Cottonwood dash /forum/images/smilies/tango_face_grin.png

The bottom of the phone (i.e. where the lightning port is) just rests on the top part of the knob, I sit it slightly to the right so that I can still plug the lightning cable in too.
Nice.

I tried to do the same thing but I just couldn't get the phone to sit well enough. I used to have a Spigen magnetic mount before when I had an iPhone and one of those cases with the recess for the magnetic plate.

Ended up having a window mount that was magnetic but have now switched to this gravity mount which is great...

Whatever works... And yeah I love my dashboard colour!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use the Cravenspeed mount. It has options for magnetic, scissor or clamp. They have a 17mm ball that can take other mounts that use the same size ball like Garmin or iottie.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cravenspeed is the best by far to me. It will cost more but lifetime warranty and a great product is worth it! I have an iPhone X

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought/used the CupFone from WeatherTech--it was really good. Had a slight issue with glare from the rear window, but overall it was solid, easily the best I've used.

Also used the Belkin cup holder mount; used one for 2 years until it broke, bought a new one, but gave it away for the CupFone. The Belkin cup holder is also really good if you can find it. Until…

…the '19 I just bought came with the MINI Click and Drive already mounted to the speedo. I'm a huge fan. My current iPhone is a little larger than I'm used to (XR), but for sat/nav I like that I can turn the phone into landscape. I bought a super-short Lightning cable (6", 15cm) so I can plug my phone into the Click and Drive USB port if I want Bluetooth audio streaming.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been using a Baseus wireless charger for a while now, resting nicely in the airvent right next to the infotainment screen. It doesn't rattle about and doesn't stick out too much.
Cable is nicely tucked away in the cavity alongside the heating controls, running downwards to the 12v socket.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The '19 MCS I bought in May came with the MINI Click and Drive already installed. So far it's been the best I've used, better than the WeatherTech Cupholder mount I'd used previously.

The paperwork I received when I closed on the new MCS even came with the instructions for the Click and Drive. I'm not super-technical by any means but after looking over the instructions, I think even I could've installed it all myself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts