Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, this morning my cooper (1.5T with 13k miles) scared the sh$# out of me. When I rev the engine to about 2500-3000 rpm or so and back off, when decelerating it makes a rattling sound like something is loose somewere.

This is a perfect example I found ou youtube.

Does anyone know what it may be? Read something about loose cat can do this...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had something sounding very similar on my 2015 1.5 Cooper Petrol (especially the knocking sound from 20 - 26 seconds on the clip you posted).

It would happen intermittently, but only ever from a cold engine start (never when the engine was warm), the knocking would last for about 20 seconds and then stop. Your issue may be different, but in my case the noise was traced to a problem with the crank.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. The dealer said the problem resides in the fuel high pressure pump. Worn compression piston. I'm reluctant to bellieve that's the cause of the problem due to the car low milleage... Anyway, a new pump on the way (ETA 1 week). Hope it fixes the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have the same problem on my 1,5T. sounds horrible until the engine is warm. I have had it ever since i installed the remus exhaust last October.
Hopefully the new pump fixes the rattle!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... The new fuel pump didnt solbe the problem. Back to the dealer again :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice little present from the garage.

I too have a metalic rattle when the engine is cold. When I rev it the rattle can be heard when I lift off. It sounds like a light weight heatshield near the exhaust manifold (if such a thing exists). The rattle disappears after a few minutes driving. Is it something I should worry about? I've only had the car for a month. I couldn't hear the rattle with the windows up. It was brought to my notice by someone who was standing outside the car.

2016 F56 Cooper Auto, 37,000 miles

·
Registered
124 Posts
Could this be wastegate rattle? I was quite literally just reading a technical discussion elsewhere on the B46 (4-cylinder variant of the 1.5T) and according to BMW, wastegate rattle after a cold start is normal. That being said, I have 20,000 miles on my 2019 F57 1.5T and have never heard the sound in the videos above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could this be wastegate rattle? I was quite literally just reading a technical discussion elsewhere on the B46 (4-cylinder variant of the 1.5T) and according to BMW, wastegate rattle after a cold start is normal. That being said, I have 20,000 miles on my 2019 F57 1.5T and have never heard the sound in the videos above.
So I have had our mini cooper convertible in this week for exactly the same noise. They said that it's the VANOS valve that controlls the variable valve timing. So we have only had this car for about 3 weeks, I bought it for my Wife and Daughters as a bit of a fun summer car. The issue is this, BMW say that the noise is within the set parameters for noise something of which I disagree with. This was a so called aproved used Mini with 28000 miles on it. They also told me that they tried another 2016 model they had in and that made the same noise. I told them that just because the other one does it doesn't make it right. I have got it in writing that the nose is normal and that it will not effect the cars future running......... Bollocks! So, I have been a Mechanical engineers for the last 27years, 6 years in the motor trade and 21 years I the RAF fixing fast jet A/C. Let me tell you what my experience has taught me. If something Mechanical is making an un natural noise then it's not right! I genuinely believe this to be oil pressure/ viscosity related but BMW do not. What do you all think? I told BMW that I believe that BMW are trying to pull the wool over customers eyes where this is concerned. BMW told me that they have carried out a software upgrade and for all it will not stop the noise, I should make it better. I will be interested to know if it will still do it when the weather warms and raises the ambient temperature. I'm sure this is worth a joint push to BMW.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Honestly, the videos above sound an awful lot like wastegate rattle.

Here's a video of a BMW N54 with wastegate rattle:

And here's a link to an article about the B46, and it specifically mentions wastegate rattle is "normal" during a cold start at times:

FWIW my 2019 F57 B36 has never made this noise in the 26,000 miles I've put on it since new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts