Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Chelsea Tractor that thought he owned three-quarters of a country lane made me get too close to the hedge and I've ended up with scratches on the front nearside wheelarch trim. These are very soft and mark really easy.

Has anyone managed to remove scratches?

Does a back to black product help? Which is the best?

Many thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
154 Posts
Probably easier to just go and buy a replacement, not too expensive. I had to replace a rear one on my car when it was only a few weeks old, they just clip on. the one I got came with a complete set of studs already fitted and only takes a few minutes to replace.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pat

Does the side parking sensor push out of the damaged one and clip back in to the new one or do you have to buy a new sensor as well?

My plan was to bodge this one for the time being and replace it just before the lease ends, car is only a month old at the moment.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I do not have sensors fitted. I would think that the sensor detaches fairly easy, either clip in or has a clamp ring on it. Have a look on realoem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why give the lease company a car back with a new trim, you may as well have the benefit of the new one now
you will still have to pay for it or you could always get one from a scrap yard.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies.

Pat, Looks like the Park Assist sensor clips in, can't find a UK price for 51777403252 but its around 50 - euros online + postage, I'll give the dealer a call on Monday to compare prices but I expect it will be more like £70 to £80 here. Loads of non Park Assist ones on eBay for around £40 so I'll carry on looking.

Ian, my perhaps peculiar logic was to fit a new one before the car goes back as sods law says as soon as the new one goes on I'll scratch it again!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd try Chemical Guys Tire and bumper trim first if it were me - only £7-8 bottle - you ain't going to get a new trim for that, and if it doesn't work it makes the tires and trim look great.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I had mine scratched by oil delivery man. The scratches t cut out believe it or not but you need to apply something like bumper gel or back to black more often after as the plastic lightens. Worth a go though.

Mine lasts two to three weeks before I need reapply BMW trim and plastic stuff. Happy to do that and save £75! They're not cheap. I used farecla scratch remover followed by paint restorer then cleaned it all off with thinners.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have found on a fair few occasions that Ebay is no quide for prices. With my R50 I found that the dealer was cheaper for new than people were asking for used, also it never does any harm to ask for a discount. I have a good relationship with my local dealer and I am on first name terms with the staff and always get a discount. Mind you when I walk into the parts department they must sometimes wonder what have I found to buy now. I had the JCW gear knob with the longer metal shaft before they were delivering the manual JCW and the other week I wanted a nearside side sun visor to replace the grap handle and they could not find the P/N until I pointed out they needed to set their computer to LH drive.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks for your helpful comments.

I think it's going to be a two stage job. I'll try the rub down and black trim restorer first, if I'm not happy then new wheelarch trim goes on.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
That's what i did; nothing to lose by a gentle rub down with scratch remover -not too hard or you lose the texture on the area done- i did the whole arch btw even though the scratches were just the most sticky out area over the top of the arch, because otherwise you can see the difference.
Half an hour with scratch remover then t cut or gentle paint restorer, followed by a clean with alcohol type cleaner, then treated with gtechniq plastic trim protector or some such. I have found BMW /inis own bumper care stuff is pretty decent though and much cheaper! -it lasts for about a month if it doesnt rain too much before the plastic area i rubbed down goes lighter-and then i re clean and treat again-the rest of the car plastics have only been treated twice in two years so you can see that it does damage the surface or alter its resistance to discolouration somehow BUT it looks perfect when first treated so at the moment i can live with it . if i get fed up, i've really lost nothing but a bit of time and can buy a brand new one-ebay cheapest was £50 i found-for that i'd rather go to the dealer and pay and extra £20 for a perfect one!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts