Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an F56 (UK) that came with LED headlights, so I believe it should also have an R3 terminating resistor.

NewTIS shows that R3 should be located in the right-hand side of the boot, amongst the wiring for the rear lights. But I can’t find it anywhere.

Is there anyone with an F56 who could check if they have R3, and take a quick photo, if possible..?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Its only there if you have a camera or all4 system. Soo if its not there you need to add it yourself and connect it to your bdc

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Empo. Really helpful - and fast! I appreciate it. Do you have any experience of adding R3? I’d be very grateful for any tips you can offer. I’m adding a reversing camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 F54 BMW Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
279 Posts
Ok, so the headlights are connected to R3, but without the resistor - interesting.

@MrCooperAuto you need what @empo has linked above.

The installation instructions are in the camera installation pdf. Just follow what is says in there.

It's a piece of cake.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ok, so the headlights are connected to R3, but without the resistor - interesting.

@MrCooperAuto you need what @empo has linked above.

The installation instructions are in the camera installation pdf. Just follow what is says in there.

It's a piece of cake.
There is also a resistor somewhere in the front of the car for the led headlights. On my F55, which had led headlights there was also no terminating resistor on the back, so i had to install a new one

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
So he'll probably have to splice into pins 43 and 44, as I'm assuming they'll already be populated.
Screenshot_20201113-141455_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg Screenshot_20201113-141434_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's exactly what I had to do.
And technically you only need the resistor for longer cable runs to reduce interference potential. My LED headlights were connected to the BDC without a resistor. I spliced into the wires and added a resistor at the right rear of the car.

Dan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

I have an F56 (UK) that came with LED headlights, so I believe it should also have an R3 terminating resistor.

NewTIS shows that R3 should be located in the right-hand side of the boot, amongst the wiring for the rear lights. But I can’t find it anywhere.

Is there anyone with an F56 who could check if they have R3, and take a quick photo, if possible..?

Thanks very much!
Hi! I successfully retrofitted rear cam on my F55 mini. And I had to install can3 terminating resistor myself. I made small report of this process (use translate from russian): www.drive2.ru/l/568998093081544580/

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful! I don't have R3 in the boot, so I've bought a new cable for the camera. Is there anyone who could tell me which connection goes where, please? Many thanks

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful! I don't have R3 in the boot, so I've bought a new cable for the camera. Is there anyone who could tell me which connection goes where, please? Many thanks
View attachment 71186
Did you get the R3 resistor retrofit?

As for the cables above, I'm presuming 3&4 are a twisted pair?

It's difficult to tell from these what you've actually got, but I think the following:

1. To PDC controller in drivers side rear B41*1B pin 9
  2. To ground point in drivers side rear Z10*7B
  3. To terminating resistor in drivers side rear R3*1B pin 9 or 22
  4. To terminating resistor in drivers side rear R3*1B pin 9 or 22
  5. To head unit A42*1B pin 24
  6. To head unit A42*1B pin 21
  7. To head unit A42*1B pin 23

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's difficult to tell from these what you've actually got, but I think the following:

1. To PDC controller in drivers side rear B41*1B pin 9
  2. To ground point in drivers side rear Z10*7B
  3. To terminating resistor in drivers side rear R3*1B pin 9 or 22
  4. To terminating resistor in drivers side rear R3*1B pin 9 or 22
  5. To head unit A42*1B pin 24
  6. To head unit A42*1B pin 21
  7. To head unit A42*1B pin 23
It's true. Also need make connection between retrofitted R3 and BDC (CAN3).
  • R3*1B pin 3 to BDC A258*8B pin 44
  • R3*1B pin 16 to BDC A258*8B pin 43

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts