Mini Cooper Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I make 2 connections from the R3 (3&16) and then I split the 2 connections (2 per headlights, so total 4?)
Yes. Headlights and R3 must be connected in parallel.
If you already have LED headlights, the easiest way is to add another pair of wires to the BDC pins and connect them to R3. So, two pairs of wires will go out of BDC pins 43 and 44. One pair for the headlights, the other for the camera.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes. Headlights and R3 must be connected in parallel.
If you already have LED headlights, the easiest way is to add another pair of wires to the BDC pins and connect them to R3. So, two pairs of wires will go out of BDC pins 43 and 44. One pair for the headlights, the other for the camera.
I don't have LED headlights

·
Registered
67 Posts
No. If you want to connect only headlights you don't need R3 resistor.
My current headlights are halogen, I want to install LED Lights.
Is it possible to connect the LED lights directly to the BDC?
So how do I enable the CAN3 communication ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
My current headlights are halogen, I want to install LED Lights.
Is it possible to connect the LED lights directly to the BDC?
So how do I enable the CAN3 communication ?
I have a factory LED headlight without R3.
To enable CAN3 after installing the LED headlights, you only need to code BDC unit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a factory LED headlight without R3.
To enable CAN3 after installing the LED headlights, you only need to code BDC unit.
Can you please explain about the process and how it's done? What kind of coding? And as I see, the wiring diagram seems that the can3 connected to the resistor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can you please explain about the process and how it's done? What kind of coding? And as I see, the wiring diagram seems that the can3 connected to the resistor
You need R3 resistor only if you want both LED headlights and rear cam!
For coding you need BMW ENET Cable and Esys software. There are a lot of information how to do it: esys VO coding guide - Google Search
Briefly you need to add S5A2A option and then code BDC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Somewhat oddly, the F56 design has two KCAN3 connections to BDC/ZGW:
  • Module 2B, pins 18 (KCAN3_L) & 19 (KCAN3_H)
  • Module 8B, pins 43 (KCAN3_L) & 44 (KCAN3_H)
Module 2B has one terminator. Other people with LED headlights have reported the 2B KCAN3 connection but not 8B connection. The wiring diagram shows that if both are connected, the 2B connection runs to a junction under the bonnet for the LIMs (LED headlights) which then has a connection to R3. R3 then has a connection to 8B.

The design for the CAN bus terminating resistors shows pin 26 connected to car chassis ground.

With a knowledge of CAN bus itself, the thing should work by simply connecting a 120 ohm resistor across the bus, say with snap lock connectors.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Somewhat oddly, the F56 design has two KCAN3 connections to BDC/ZGW:
  • Module 2B, pins 18 (KCAN3_L) & 19 (KCAN3_H)
  • Module 8B, pins 43 (KCAN3_L) & 44 (KCAN3_H)
Module 2B has one terminator. Other people with LED headlights have reported the 2B KCAN3 connection but not 8B connection. The wiring diagram shows that if both are connected, the 2B connection runs to a junction under the bonnet for the LIMs (LED headlights) which then has a connection to R3. R3 then has a connection to 8B.

The design for the CAN bus terminating resistors shows pin 26 connected to car chassis ground.

With a knowledge of CAN bus itself, the thing should work by simply connecting a 120 ohm resistor across the bus, say with snap lock connectors.
And if I don't want to connect the 120 ohm resistor, I can just connect the Kcan3 new wires directly to the BDC?
by the way, what kind of cables are the KCAN3?

·
Registered
18 Posts
And if I don't want to connect the 120 ohm resistor, I can just connect the Kcan3 new wires directly to the BDC?
by the way, what kind of cables are the KCAN3?
As per the other thread, yes: Use the module 2B connection.
CAN bus requires a twisted pair cable such as this.
The connections in the 2B header require MQS female pins: The BMW part number is 61136931880 but I purchased these easily and cheaply on eBay.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts