Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I am looking to order a 2016 Mini S Hardtop 2 door with a manual 6spd transmission within a few weeks. I have a couple of questions on the options.

1) I sat in one that had the navigation. Screen is very impressive and all. Concern is the very low placement of the idrive controller. It appears that the arm rest needs to be either folded all the way back or just removed to comfortably use the controller. True??? Would love some feedback on those who have the new navigation system with the idrive controller. How is it working for you??? How well is the access when used in conjunction with the manual transmission???

2) Looking at the Dynamic Damper Control option as well. Do you like it??? Can you use it while the car is in the "Sport" mode??? I know the system is designed to firm up the suspension when you really want to have some fun on some smooth, twisty roads. Does it also give you the ability to soften the ride on bumpy roads??? If you wanted to, can you soften the suspension up even more than if you didn't even have the Dynamic Damper Control option??? In other words... how vast is the adjustment range on it...+/- when compared to the standard suspension???

Please respond with any feedback that you might have. I am looking to trade in my 2013 BMW 328 and become a "Mini" owner. This all came about by taking my car in for scheduled maintenance and requesting a Mini as a loaner. That Mini made me smile more than my BMW did. Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
Arm rest moves up but down too. It's a teeny bit awkward using the scroll wheel when horizontal but it's not really an issue for me, of course you can raise it out of the way if you want.

·
Registered
608 Posts
1) The armrest has a "lowered" position that enables you to use the iDrive while the hand/parking brake is off. It puts your arm at the "right" angle. When in other positions, it can be a bit of a fiddle but you get used to it pretty quick. In the real world, it's a bit of an "non-issue"

2) Adaptive dampers are the magneto-Fe type as per BMW's, Audi's etc for years. they are either ON - Firmed right up or OFF - Normal damping. There are no airbags etc to raise/lower ride hight. Without adaptive dampers, there is no dynamic suspension control. I believe, the normal dampers in the S/JCW are a little firmer than the adaptive ones in OFF mode. You can set the dampers to OFF in Sport mode if you choose.

Hope this helps, and welcome :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am pretty short, so the armrest actually doesn't block me from ding anything. >:D

Arm rest moves up but down too. It's a teeny bit awkward using the scroll wheel when horizontal but it's not really an issue for me, of course you can raise it out of the way if you want.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
2) Dynamic Dampers are either 10% softer than the stock suspension (available in GREEN/MID/SPORT modes), or 10% stiffer than stock in SPORT mode only. This can be configured via the car's infotainment system on demand.

Normally, when you put the car in SPORT mode, the suspension will stiffen (if configured), as well as the steering, the throttle gets more sensitive, and the gear changes if you have an automatic get more aggressive.

Some 2014 and 2015 models may also have the sport suspension equipped instead of the standard or Dynamic Damper suspension, and the SS suspension would be 30% stiffer than the standard suspension and also has a different sway bar. Many agree this gives you the best handling, though you sacrifice ride comfort. I think the DDC is the best compromise for your daily driver.

Reactions: MsGTS

·
Registered
95 Posts
As all of them already said, the armrest has three possible positions, folded-horizontal-lower, in my case I don't find the horizontal position uncomfortable to operate the iDrive controls but in the lower setting it gives me the perfect angle to rest my arm and operate both the controls and the manual stick.

I don't have the adaptive suspension so I'm as clueless as you are about it. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm a petite female and have no issues operating the I - controller with the arm rest down.

As for the dynamic chassis control - I wouldn't be without it! It's linked to the driving modes and I especially like how it gives me more feel/weight to the steering, not to mention stiffening the shocks. Of course you can customize it further in the presets (turning chassis stiffening on/off when you want the spirited gear changes but the road surface may be poor).

·
Registered
254 Posts
For me I detach the chassis from the drivetrain in sport configuration - Live soft suspension with quicker throttle.

Sometimes I put the suspension to firm just to try, then I put it back again because of potholes... The roads are **** around here. Softer suspension hope to get round country lanes better, helps maintain tire to road contact.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For me I detach the chassis from the drivetrain in sport configuration - Live soft suspension with quicker throttle.

Sometimes I put the suspension to firm just to try, then I put it back again because of potholes... The roads are **** around here. Softer suspension hope to get round country lanes better, helps maintain tire to road contact.
Hi jamesahy, I just picked up our F56 Cooper S yesterday and I never got a demo of how to operate the Dynamic Damper Control by my salesman. I understand the ring at the base of the shift lever needs to be rotated left or right to change driving modes. There seems to be a little play in the ring when I push on the lever to turn it but it will not turn to either sport or green modes. Please help! What am I doing wrong? I configured the DDC in settings for sport mode. What else do I need to do?

·
Registered
186 Posts
My husband and I both have new MINIs. I keep my armrest at the lowered position, whereas my husband generally puts his all the way back and out of his way. Once I got used to the set up I have no issue at all using it.
I keep my damper control at mid most of the time. A much more comfortable ride for everyday. When I put it in sport it is very reminiscent of my '06 MINI, so the best of both worlds for me.

Annette

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I almost didn't get the center console armrest, and I could probably live without it. But, I'm so glad I added it at the last moment to my build, as I believe I'd miss it. I have a manual transmission and the console isn't a problem whatsoever. I "do" prefer it in the "down" position when driving however....and it's a bit in the way when pulling up the emergency/parking brake but not an issue. Having one additional tiny storage space is another "plus".

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi jamesahy, I just picked up our F56 Cooper S yesterday and I never got a demo of how to operate the Dynamic Damper Control by my salesman. I understand the ring at the base of the shift lever needs to be rotated left or right to change driving modes. There seems to be a little play in the ring when I push on the lever to turn it but it will not turn to either sport or green modes. Please help! What am I doing wrong? I configured the DDC in settings for sport mode. What else do I need to do?

https://youtu.be/8hbSga8Ko3s?t=3m39s

Watch the video at 3 minutes 39 (linked above), that's all you need to do to change driving modes. If you're having trouble pressing it properly then I would talk to your dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.