Mini Cooper Forum banner

Help required: Contrast roof and the ongoing delay!

8366 Views 31 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Mitch
So, yesterday I get a call from the manager of my dealer to inform me that he's been in touch with MINI UK about the delays with my car and that without doubt the problem is the contrast roof. I find this really hard to believe due to the number of F56's I have seen on this and other forums with a contrast roof.

In order to have some ammunition to fight my case I would like the help of those who have taken delivery of their F56 with a contrast roof. For those who are happy to help can you let me know the date you ordered your car and the date you received it, also the model and the body/roof colour combo.

Thanks in advance,

Nick
Reactions: 1
1 - 2 of 32 Posts
So, yesterday I get a call from the manager of my dealer to inform me that he's been in touch with MINI UK about the delays with my car and that without doubt the problem is the contrast roof. I find this really hard to believe due to the number of F56's I have seen on this and other forums with a contrast roof.

In order to have some ammunition to fight my case I would like the help of those who have taken delivery of their F56 with a contrast roof. For those who are happy to help can you let me know the date you ordered your car and the date you received it, also the model and the body/roof colour combo.

Thanks in advance,

Nick
Nick, my order was placed 14th March and my car was delivered 26th June.... Deep Blue with White.

The delay on my car was due to the diesel engine...

I went on the factory tour in early June and no mention was made of contrast-painting delays... they were just happy that the engine issues were over.

What is the problem with contrast-painting? Has anyone got a full explanation? It's not like they just started to do it...

Good luck with getting your car as you want it... for me, a contrast roof is a key part of the MINI Cooper's identity.
Here's one

Their was no delay in the roofs

Their was just a factory closing in order to accommodate the problems specifically logistics when all the problems kicked off

Their is no contrast roof delay

I repeat their is no delay it's a polite way of saying that Mini screwed up D engine orders and they have to come back into the fold

That's all their is to it

Also confirmed by my mate that works at BMW

He also laughed that their was never a Harmon Kardon delay

Never

Work it out folks we've been done in - I will also point out what others have said on here and me myself a while back

All dealers have allocations - if they take your order that doesn't mean that goes in at that moment in time as defo - it means it's in a queue according to allocations for that dealership - example if the dealer has submitted monthly allocations for that month then it carries over etc etc

Thing is if you add the D problems then that one scenario just multiplied and got worse for the individual customer on wait

Folks this is it their is nothing more to it
The great 'contrast roof delay' debate... they're lying - or do they just need to get their collective finger out to get more MINI Coopers out there on the road...?!

Even though my contrast roof MINI Cooper D was delivered at the end of June, this debate has interested me as, when I visited the factory, the only delay they talked about was with the diesel engine.

(Just-in-Time manufacturing relies upon the delivery of components running like clockwork. If a major component - as in the engine - is not available, the whole factory is forced to stop. I was told by the guys in Oxford that it took two weeks to reorganise the production schedule, removing all diesel cars... and it's safe to assume that adding them back in has caused some further delay).

Like GoKart7, I also have some (non-dealership) BMW contacts and they reckon that the paintshop IS the logjam - because painting the roof white or black is a second process which is done after the whole bodyshell is painted in the chosen colour.

It stands to reason that, as BMW/MINI were completely honest about the early diesel engine issue (potentially much more serious & embarrassing), they would not be likely to fabricate stories of delays in the paintshop and with HK audio systems.

NB: the Dutch factory officially starts F56 production next week, according to the NEDcar website, so that should help. I wonder if any of those cars will come 'home' to the UK?

For those waiting for cars - hold on! - the new MINI is superb... I'm driving a Ford Focus hire car today in Holland (with every toy imaginable!) and it is the complete opposite of superb!!

There endeth my missive on this topic. I really think they're doing their best to make more MINI drivers happy - I'm loving mine!
See less See more
Reactions: 2
1 - 2 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.