Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Last December I bought my mini cooper F56 (64 plate) with 43000 miles on the clock. Around April time I started to notice that on starting the vehicle it sounded quite rumbly/ feels juddery and generally has an unstable idle. I also noticed that the rpm was surging slightly, after about 30 seconds the rpm settles and idle sounds more stable and then I don't have the same issue again until the car is starting up from cold again. On occasions if I put it into gear before the car settles the car will stall with my clutch fully depressed.. I also had an issue pop up on one occasion about the drive train, however this cleared after around 30 seconds of driving and I haven't seen it since..

I've tried changing the spark plugs on the off chance it may have been that however it is still happening 馃様

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and has managed to resolve the problem?

Registered
2019 Cooper S F55 Exclusive Thunder Grey
Could be a sensor, best to get a fault code reader plugged in that should show something.

Super Moderator
Yes gives the age of the car when First registered.
14is First half of 2014ie Jan to Sept , Sept to Jan would be 64.So a FY18FJE. Is from Lincs/East Midlands (The FY, FV and FT etc signal this too and if you Google it you can find all the place signifiers), then 18is 2018.The rest is random. To complicate things you can buy a private plate(Read gov money maker) as long as it doesn't make the car look younger.

Registered
2020 Mini Cooper Oxford edition. Starlight blue with black top, black mirror caps and black wheels.
Hi all,

Last December I bought my mini cooper F56 (64 plate) with 43000 miles on the clock. Around April time I started to notice that on starting the vehicle it sounded quite rumbly/ feels juddery and generally has an unstable idle. I also noticed that the rpm was surging slightly, after about 30 seconds the rpm settles and idle sounds more stable and then I don't have the same issue again until the car is starting up from cold again. On occasions if I put it into gear before the car settles the car will stall with my clutch fully depressed.. I also had an issue pop up on one occasion about the drive train, however this cleared after around 30 seconds of driving and I haven't seen it since..

I've tried changing the spark plugs on the off chance it may have been that however it is still happening 馃様

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and has managed to resolve the problem?
It sounds like your description matches the 鈥渃old start鈥 high idle that most modern cars do. Someone correct me if I鈥檓 wrong, but a modern car will hold the RPMs higher on start up in order 鈥渓ight the cats鈥 or to heat the catalytic converters faster as the more proper way to put it. That being said my 2020 three popper on occasion seems to 鈥渕iss鈥 once or even sometimes twice on start up if the car has sat for a short amount of time. No solution, but I鈥檝e made similar observations.

Registered
Hi all,

F55 and F56 are prone of motor supports failing, this causes the rumble you notice, replacing them seems to fix that issue, right side is more prone to fail

Registered
Hey there -

probably a motor mount. Very very common. Just had mine replaced on a 2015. Rumble stopped - car like new. Motor mount known as engine mount in the UK. As you look at the engine bay it鈥檚 the top left. If you spot it and see liquid around the runner part. That鈥檚 your problem. Hope this helps

Hi all,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts