Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are my hints, tips and solutions to Off Peak Home Charging.
It is not going to be an advertisement for my energy supplier, if you want to know how it is drop me a PM.

About 2 weeks ago I requested a change off energy supplier as I had seen that I could get a great overnight kWh rate if I switched. The new supplier gave me a date of 25th August for the switch date, and as promised the switch took place with no issues. I was not immediately put on the overnight cheap tariff as the new supplier needed to check that they could receive 1/2 hourly meter reading from my smart meter first. I knew it would be OK as my previous supplier had no issues with the 1/2 hour readings. Yesterday (27th) I got a message telling me that it was now OK to be switched to the new tariff as the meter reading were fine. My transfer to the new overnight tariff kicks in tonight (28th) at 00:00.

Then from 00:30 until 04:30 (4 hours) my kWh rate reduces from the standard 13.96p to 5p. Perfect.

So I then decide to set up the charger / car to charge overnight, this is when I had a slight issue...

I decided to set up a schedule on the charger so that it only provides charge from 00:30 to 04:30, as per my tariff.
There was no issue setting up the schedule.
I connected the cable from the charger to the car and good news the car did not start to charge (as it would have done had there been no schedule in place). This was as expected.
The problem was that the cable did not lock into the car, it could be removed from the car and the charger, this is far from ideal as I don’t want to leave a £150 cable unsecured overnight.
I tried all the obvious things like unlocking and locking the car, but thiS did not lock the cable to the car.

So I disconnected the cable and cancelled the charger schedule and tried using the cars own charging schedule, thinking that the car would see the connection do the checks, lock the cable but no start the charge. I was wrong, the same thing happened, the car did nothing when the cable was connected, no lock again.

My solution is as follows:

Have no schedule in place on the car of the charger.
Connect the car as normal, the car and charger communicate, do their checks, the cable locks and charging then begins.
Then send the schedule to the car, it takes about 10 seconds to be received, once it is received charging stops BUT the cable remains looked to the car, and it does so until the car is next unlocked.

So I now have a schedule in place with the cable securely locked to the car.
It should be noted that you can’t use the latest MINI app to setup charging schedules, you can only do it via the old Mini Connected app, or in the car using the on screen options. The new MINI app just says ”Charge & Climate Timer - Coming Soon”. Both apps say either “Charging Paused” or “Charging Break”, so it looks like it is the right thing to do.

I will report back tomorrow to let you know if the overnight charge was successful, and how much it cost...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They just need to update the MINI app.
I think the car behaves as it should do, that is only lock the cable when charging starts and unlock when car unlocks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news, charging kicked off as expected at 00:35... I expect it will complete before the estimated 01:54, it usually speeds up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I think the car might be taking its time to charge deliberately.
As it knows it has 4 hours to charge, I think it has slowed the charge rate down which is better for the batteries.
I will be able to see tomorrow when I have access to the charging stats from the charger itself, it shows the rate of charge, like this from a previous charge...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Fascinating stuff - you don't get this detail in car mag EV reviews! Thank you.
Just out of interest, the graphic above which shows the battery 84% charged estimates that it equates to 90 miles if I'm reading it correctly. Does that mean you're getting a full 100% charge range of 107 miles, or is that an estimate calculation based on your previous journey / use ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fascinating stuff - you don't get this detail in car mag EV reviews! Thank you.
Just out of interest, the graphic above which shows the battery 84% charged estimates that it equates to 90 miles if I'm reading it correctly. Does that mean you're getting a full 100% charge range of 107 miles, or is that an estimate calculation based on your previous journey / use ?
It is an estimated value based on previous journeys and I find it underestimated by about 20 miles. I have done 70 miles in the car and had 55% remaining with 64 miles range, which would be a full range of 134 miles. Depends on driving mode and how much you accelerate 😀

·
Registered
3 Posts
My few stats since I got mine. Average price is 1,5 SEK ~0,09 GBP per KWH. Home charger is 11kwh. I drive around 20km a day now during Corona. Normally around 40km.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A quick update on my energy supply.

I was on a reduced tariff that started at 00:30 for four hours at 5p per kWh.
I have since been offered a trial from the same supplier where I can select different start times, duration and rates.

They offered:

Option 1. Take a 3-hour period at 4.5p/kWh and select a start time of 20.30, 21.30, 22.30, 23.30, 00.30, 01.30, 02.30 or 03.30
Option 2. Take a 4-hour period at 5.0p/kWh and select a start time of 20.30, 21.30, 22.30, 23.30, 00.30, 01.30 or 02.30
Option 3. Take a 5-hour period at 5.5p/kWh and select a start time of 20.30, 21.30, 22.30, 23.30, 00.30 or 01.30

I went for option 2 as the Mini can fully charge within 4 hours with a start time of 20:30 which means I can run the washer, dryer and dishwasher (the 3 largest power hungry devices in the house) while I am still up and about. It means I can also probably unplug the car before I go to bed rather than leaving it plugged in all night.

I will be leaving it plugged in at night in the winter so I can pre-heat the car just before I get in it without using the battery :)

I expected my overall energy consumption to fall quite a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts