1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Someone on another forum did a hitch retrofit on his F54 ALL4 and if you have comfort access, it's very difficult to do since the sensors for the kick to open feature get in a way.

Reactions: Joe MINI

·
Super Moderator
8,825 Posts
Mini have a towbar available in the uk so it must be do able. 1500 kg towing capacity rating and think of the power,laugh as you cruise past other cars and they gasp in amazement!

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is quite a bit of discussion here (It sort of starts on page 15 and goes through 19 or 20):

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r55-clubman-talk-2008/293675-2016-clubman-15.html

Some more here:
http://www.minif56.com/forum/825-mini-clubman-f54/57170-oem-trailer-hitch.html#post569410

I also learned a few more things since these posts. The bottom line is that I've used mine quite a bit and it works great. The installation was a difficult and long process. I had to improvise a lot, but maybe the manufacturers have tweaked their systems now. I have the wiring down (and it's per my posts on the NorthAmerican site) and could probably do the whole install again in maybe 3-4 hours.

The etrailer option is really interesting. Not having to remove the bumper would GREATLY simplify the installation. The down side is that the etrailer hitch is visible while the other option is hidden. When I installed mine, the etrailer option was not available. If I were going to do it again, I think I'd go that route.

Reactions: Joe MINI

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is quite a bit of discussion here (It sort of starts on page 15 and goes through 19 or 20):

2016 Clubman - North American Motoring

Some more here:
OEM Trailer Hitch

I also learned a few more things since these posts. The bottom line is that I've used mine quite a bit and it works great. The installation was a difficult and long process. I had to improvise a lot, but maybe the manufacturers have tweaked their systems now. I have the wiring down (and it's per my posts on the NorthAmerican site) and could probably do the whole install again in maybe 3-4 hours.

The etrailer option is really interesting. Not having to remove the bumper would GREATLY simplify the installation. The down side is that the etrailer hitch is visible while the other option is hidden. When I installed mine, the etrailer option was not available. If I were going to do it again, I think I'd go that route.
WOW looks good. thanks for the sharing.

one question. is your clubman equipped the comfort access?
I am just wondering whether tow hitch blocks the sensors or not.
or I am curious how hard the installation of tow hitch with comfort access option.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Someone on another forum did a hitch retrofit on his F54 ALL4 and if you have comfort access, it's very difficult to do since the sensors for the kick to open feature get in a way.
Be easy in mine as they just don’t work. I could kick 50 times and it might trigger once if there is a full moon out. I’m glad I’m didn’t pay specifically for this as an extra! Took it to mini, they said there is a ‘knack’ and After several attempts they got it to open and said it was fine.

it’s not fine, it’s rubbish.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Have to say when I collected my Clubby the salesman did not know how to activate the comfort access and was waggling his foot like a mad thing. I then just did what it says in the manual, a forward and backward action, just to the right of the door split, and it worked, no problem.

I use the comfort access quite a lot, especially when returning to the car with bags of shopping and it works 98% of the time.

·
Super Moderator
8,825 Posts
I agree-the 'knack ' is to follow the instructions. Not waggle. THe addition of the towbar does interupt the sensors-Mini switch them off via coding if you have a towbar and a good fitter would do the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have to say when I collected my Clubby the salesman did not know how to activate the comfort access and was waggling his foot like a mad thing. I then just did what it says in the manual, a forward and backward action, just to the right of the door split, and it worked, no problem.

I use the comfort access quite a lot, especially when returning to the car with bags of shopping and it works 98% of the time.
Hi, what is comfort access please, I’m new to my mini clubman Cooper sd

·
Super Moderator
8,825 Posts
You can put your foot under the rear bumper and a sensor detects the move and opens the barn doors. The tow bar blocks the sensors apparently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.