Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always found it odd that my F55 didn't honk the horn when I leave the car and push the lock button on my key. I finally went through my settings today and the manual says there should be an option to have a visual or audible notification when locking the car.

I went to my car's settings and I only see the option to check/uncheck the visual notification. Is the audible notification specific to a model or package?

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have never owned a MINI with a horn 'honk' when locking or unlocking (and I am on number 8), and I would be very pee'd off if any of my neighbours cars did especially at night.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have never owned a MINI with a horn 'honk' when locking or unlocking (and I am on number 8), and I would be very pee'd off if any of my neighbours cars did especially at night.
maybe it sounds wierd to you, but there is many countrys where all of the cars honk when locking, i do get your point though and im actually loving the fact that my mini doesnt, although sometime i cant remember if i locked it or not lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe it's a feature standard to the U.S. only, but I think it's extremely common for any car to beep the horn once very quickly when the car has been locked from the key fob.

It's also clearly mentioned in the manual, so that's where my confusion lies...

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
Totally agree , on our American holidays clowns in car parks locking cars drove us nuts .they seem obsessed with it over there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My wife's Audi has a nice beep on locking. I would be ok with a beep. Don't want a horn honk. That's one thing that bugs me about the two VWs we have for our kids. They honk loudly and you can't turn it off!

·
Registered
101 Posts
The audible locking is only optioned when you order the alarm system. It beeps just like a BMW (digital beep not a honk) two times to unlock and one time to lock. It is only with the alarm because the alarm siren adds the speaker that makes the audible noises when locking/unlocking. The alarm system also adds the interior motion sensor, vehicle tilt sensor, a panic button on the remote fob, and the alarm notification light under the rear view mirror. It is not a popular option in the US, but totally worth the $500 for what you get.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The 'clunk' from the doors locking is pretty audible to the driver - presumably the horn honking is meant to tell 'baddies' nearby that the car is alarmed? So it must be at least as valuable as leaving a light on when you are out to stop your home being burgled?

Try a Mercedes - they use pneumatic, not electro-mechanical, door locks so that it is nearly impossible to hear them lock (which is why they have them - no disturbing the passengers with the autolock).

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you stand closer to the gas cap when you lock it you will hear the gas cap lock. It's pretty loud so you'll know it locks. I usually walk behind my car now if I can and hit the lock button. Works well. I don't miss a beep anymore.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Maybe it's a feature standard to the U.S. only, but I think it's extremely common for any car to beep the horn once very quickly when the car has been locked from the key fob.

It's also clearly mentioned in the manual, so that's where my confusion lies...
You only get audible locking confirmation when you have the alarm system equipped, otherwise you just get the flash of the lights. No horn honking.

Also +1 for horn honk = obnoxious :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
The audible locking is only optioned when you order the alarm system. It beeps just like a BMW (digital beep not a honk) two times to unlock and one time to lock. It is only with the alarm because the alarm siren adds the speaker that makes the audible noises when locking/unlocking. The alarm system also adds the interior motion sensor, vehicle tilt sensor, a panic button on the remote fob, and the alarm notification light under the rear view mirror. It is not a popular option in the US, but totally worth the $500 for what you get.

Guess this got overlooked haha.

No mini has ever had a honk. but at least you can configure the digital beep to be on or off.

·
Registered
149 Posts
No UK car should honk the horn when locking the car. It is illegal in the UK to sound your horn whilst stationary or between 23:30 and 07:00(unless in an emergency), that’s why UK cars beep or blip when locking the car. Any part of the highway code that states either MUST or MUST NOT is law in the UK.

The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOTuse your horn:

• While stationary on the road
• When driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am

Except when another road user poses a danger.
Law CUR reg 99

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/other-stopping-procedures-107-to-112

The reason the mini doesn't sound its horn in the USA may be because it is built in the UK. (but just a guess)

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is also what I've read from the manual. Since most US insurance company puts some weight on passive alarm system for discount, I decided to get the option.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts