Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a strange question. Every time I am pressing the steering wheel to blow the horn nothing happens unless I apply a lot of pressure. I did try pressing different pressure points on the steering wheel and realised that only the bottom part of the steering wheel is sensitive.

Does any body have such issue? Is there is a steering wheel/horn setting I could do or do I have to take it to the dealer?

Saurabh

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
I must admit i find the horn fiddly as in to do a hi or bye toot toot. But it works so in anger it would be fine and i suppose you arent really supposed to use it other than to warn people you are there !

·
Registered
57 Posts
Glad this has been mentioned as i thought it was just me. As JB says just using the horn for a quick toot to say goodbye to someone is sooo fiddly. By the time i do sound it, the person i intended it for as gone in the house.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My car horn is not horney. There is a 2 second delay from the time I touch the horn until I hear something. This really bugs me. Can this be reprogrammed to have less of a delay ?
Is it actually 2 seconds? This is pretty bad, a horn should be instantaneous. I would think a non instant horn sound would be a safety issue.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Is it actually 2 seconds? This is pretty bad, a horn should be instantaneous. I would think a non instant horn sound would be a safety issue.

Really, seriously, TRUE, I swear.
The sad thing is, when I push the horn and there is this delay,
the car passes that moment and the horn blows at nothing that is
related to the reason why it was sounded in the first place.

Yes, I would consider this a safety issue.

I will bring this matter and others with my SA at my first appointment
in the middle of Oct..... The status quo is not safe.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Really, seriously, TRUE, I swear.
The sad thing is, when I push the horn and there is this delay,
the car passes that moment and the horn blows at nothing that is
related to the reason why it was sounded in the first place.

Yes, I would consider this a safety issue.

I will bring this matter and others with my SA at my first appointment
in the middle of Oct..... The status quo is not safe.
Wow, would be interesting to see if this is occurring across the board on all model variants... Everyone test their horns! (I would but my JCW is on order...)

In Australia, the horn is used legally only in the following conditions:
  • You need to warn other road users that your vehicle is approaching
  • You need to warn animals to get off the road
  • The horn is being used as part of an anti-theft or alcohol interlock device fitted to your vehicle.

If there is a 2 second delay pressing the horn, then I would imagine it's not so effective in warning another road user that your vehicle is approaching (or more commonly that their vehicle is entering your lane and you need to alert the driver i.e. you might be in their blind spot and they didn't see you).

·
Registered
120 Posts
My 2015 MCS also has a delay with the horn. It's been mentioned by a few people in another thread as well, about what we don't like about our Minis.

Yeah, this is a safety issue, for the reasons Jonathan describes.

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
i reckon you ought to mention it; it could well be an issue-they might let you try a demonstrator to compare too that way you'd know for definite. i have to say though it isnt the easiet horn, and it's very tricky to do a toot toot!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.