Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is just a cover that fits over the existing key fob? Don't think you need to remove anything to fit it?
Nope not a cover and have to be careful , I posted this for another member I have done two know second was far easier I knew to use trim remover tool :D

Yes I did mine take off the lanyard first then lay on cloth with back saying mini towards you, there is a slot at bottom where lanyard ends about 12mm wide and you need to get something to prise open.
I used a trim removing tool same width as slot and as plastic did not mark I pushed it in slowly as was tapered it finally clicked up and it slides out and twists down the U shaped bit.
Just be very careful it feels like you are breaking it and trim tool was defo best for it

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
It sounds a little difficult to me. Is it worth going through all that?
It is scary, but if you are careful I think you will be fine. I'm going to try Derek's suggestion when I install my new lanyard on my JCW FOB. When I installed the JCW surround on it I thought I cracked the plastic! But, it seems ok....kind of a poor design imo....the plastic tapers down to a very slim edge at the opening. I would have left a little more meat on the bone if I designed this thing!

Get a plastic trim tool that is slightly tapered, or use a screw driver with a thin cloth wrapped on the tip, and push in slowly/lift up.

My MINI advisor just plopped in something and popped it open like there was nothing to it, but I wonder how many Key FOB's he's cracked over time? LOL!

My new lanyard awaits the install, because I'm scared like you are! :) But, hang tough and give it a whirl.

Good Luck,

John

·
Registered
375 Posts
Why not playing it safe and have your dealer do it for you?

I'd change mine too if there was a desigh that fits my car but I find the choice in design is limited. For now I just leave it as it is.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Well I would say the guy in that video is very lucky he did not break it with that small screw driver on thin plastic I think he got lucky, love to see the marks on it

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Me too wasn't too bad ����
Ok Paul, how does the lanyard attach? I have no clue....looks like it slides over the stock key holder but doesn't attach to anything. Small button (black plug) on the rear appears to move a little when depressing it.

Do I need to remove the case again to install the lanyard? Of course, with the lanyard I won't have the emergency key any longer either.

John

Reactions: Paul storey

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ok Paul, how does the lanyard attach? I have no clue....looks like it slides over the stock key holder but doesn't attach to anything. Small button (black plug) on the rear appears to move a little when depressing it.

Do I need to remove the case again to install the lanyard? Of course, with the lanyard I won't have the emergency key any longer either.

John
Easy this John just take the round bit out on the end of the lanyard push the end into the key ring push the round bit back in to secure sorted ???

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Easy this John just take the round bit out on the end of the lanyard push the end into the key ring push the round bit back in to secure sorted ???
Duh!!! I can be as dumb as a post sometimes! :eek: Without directions of any kind just how are we suppose to figure this simple process out anyway? A couple of pics in the box with the lanyard would have helped instead of just marketing photos!

But, thanks to you Paul, I was brave enough to pop out the clip...I almost figured it out by myself...but with your input, I "finally" got it to pop out! Glad I didn't remove the case again...sheesh!

All good to go now!

John

Reactions: Paul storey
1 - 20 of 24 Posts