Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I checked the air pressure in the tires over the weekend and attempted to reset the TPM. When I drove the car it appeared to be resetting....seemed to just be stuck on the radio screen, but eventually went away.

Then, when I scrolled to TPM the pressure readings were still just "blank"....,
like"- - - bar"....or I suppose "- - - psi", whichever.

How on earth do I get the actual pressures to display???

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hi John,

press the reset, then just drive, it will find it's pressures. I can't remember if you have to leave it on that screen until it shows them or not, perhaps you changed to another display before it finished.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John,

press the reset, then just drive, it will find it's pressures. I can't remember if you have to leave it on that screen until it shows them or not, perhaps you changed to another display before it finished.

Ok, thanks....it must take a fairly long reset time then, because I remember wanting to listen to the radio, so I must have stopped the process.

I'll try it again.

Reactions: mikeswagon

·
Registered
457 Posts
John,
If you leave it on screen during the reset process it will give you a percentage complete reading as you continue driving.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The tyre pressure is reset only when the car is moving in order for the pressure to be monitored. You will see a percentage display after a short while which indicates the period left to a 100 percent reset. If you stop then so does the monitoring. Restart and the reset will continue where it left off. However resetting is not important.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
You Guys are all correct. Last Week one of the Tires was low so a quick Stop at Discount Tire for a Refill and off I went. Display came on for Reset a really cool Gadget btw. I had to drive all the Way to Dairy Queen 10 Blocks from my House made my Co Pilot jumped out to get me a dipped cone while I circled the DQ Parking Lot. Gotta keep them Wheels moving.:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
According to your opinion does the Rcd system show the real correct pressure? I ask this question because I am driving my car since two months and the pressure is always correct.

Do you wait the alert message or periodically do you control manually the pressure?
Thanks for your suggestions��

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Mine vary but of course they increase as the tyre warms up. I always use a good digital pressure gauge and do it myself!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I "finally" got my TPM reset/readings to work today! I think it's the first time it has been set. Kinda quirky, but I got it after driving and fooling with the "reset" button. I just couldn't get the "reading" function to operate.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Anybody else found that TPM pressures shown always seem to read lower than when checked manually. I've set manually at 3.1Front & 2.9 Rear using two gauges but TPM consistently shows 2.8F & 2.6R while still cold. Quite a difference at 0.3 bar.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
May be need to check your gauge.they aren't very accurate.my car always reads them higher and the hotter the tyre gets the higher they go of course!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anybody else found that TPM pressures shown always seem to read lower than when checked manually. I've set manually at 3.1Front & 2.9 Rear using two gauges but TPM consistently shows 2.8F & 2.6R while still cold. Quite a difference at 0.3 bar.
Dave,

My pressures were read with the tires warm of course, so they are higher than what I set them....p.s.i. here in the USA....when the tires are cold the readings are "blank"...amazing how accurate the readings appear to be.

My digital BMW gauge must be spot on. A better gauge would read in "tenths" though because there is alot of slop in most gauges for single readings like "42 psi"...that could 42.1, 42.3, etc.

John

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
457 Posts
May be need to check your gauge.they aren't very accurate.my car always reads them higher and the hotter the tyre gets the higher they go of course!
Did check them with my TWO gauges Jeremy.....they have always read identically.....might try a digital one now we are in the 21st century though:laugh:
Considering the TPM checks tyres (tires!) when they are warming I would have thought readings would have been closer when done cold manually.....unfortunately I don't have access to calibrated gauges now.

John I usually use psi as well normally.....gives more accuracy with a wider range. Should read 45psi F, 42psi R.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
I'd agree davo, strange. Personally if your two gauges concur then I'd ignore the tpms. I ignore it,other than for a very cursory check.

Reactions: Davo56

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi John,

This is for ABS TPMS system.

The TPMS system with sensors in the valves (USA) should read pressures directly as soon as a wireless link is established with each valve with no need to drive around to reset (an ABS necessity as ABS TPMS looks at rotation differences between tires to identify leaks).

I believe John should have valves with sensors built in.

My statement is referring to 2015 models as I understand that older MINI in USA used ABS TPMS up to 2008. In fact it would be great if John can confirm what system he actually has received on his new vehicle.

My New 2015 Canadian MINI has ABS type TPMS (no special valve sensors)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is for ABS TPMS system.

The TPMS system with sensors in the valves (USA) should read pressures directly as soon as a wireless link is established with each valve with no need to drive around to reset (an ABS necessity as ABS TPMS looks at rotation differences between tires to identify leaks).

I believe John should have valves with sensors built in.

My statement is referring to 2015 models as I understand that older MINI in USA used ABS TPMS up to 2008. In fact it would be great if John can confirm what system he actually has received on his new vehicle.

My New 2015 Canadian MINI has ABS type TPMS (no special valve sensors)
Mine have built-in valve stem sensors because I bought a spare wheel setup when I picked my car, in anticipation of installing non-runflats in the future (and I wanted 5 wheels/tires!) The sensors cost $85 (USD)....that's no ordinary valve stem! LOL! :)

Reactions: jeremybingham
1 - 17 of 17 Posts