Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone can tell me how I can use the Mini audio system to play podcasts stored on my iPhone? I have no problem playing music from it directly by selecting "external devices" in the multimedia menu. But I can't find any way of playing podcasts, which are stored separately in iTunes. I imagine it must be fairly straightforward, but so far it eludes me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the podcasts app installed and play them from there.
Thanks, Crimguy. That sounds easy, but can you please clarify? I have the Podcast app on my iPhone and have lots of podcasts I'd like to listen to via the Mini. Just not sure how to do that. I connect the iPhone to the Mini with the Apple lightening cord and that allows me to access my iTunes music via "external devices" in the multimedia menu, but that only seems to give me access to the music library on the iPhone. How do I access the podcasts / podcast app on the iPhone from the Mini's central display? (Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here).

·
Registered
441 Posts
You can play them via the Media function with VB and MediaXL

It's one of the small icons on the left when you're playing music - change source or something similar.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't have the xl just the smaller screen. I have issues getting the iPhone to play items via the minis interface so I select them from the iPhone's app.

With my iPod it works perfectly. I must be an anomaly because I don't hear of many other ppl complaining.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone. I'm determined to listen to a couple of BBC news podcasts on the way to work this morning, and will try everything suggested. In case all else fails, I've copied said podcasts to a USB memory stick and will play from that - but I hope there's a more elegant solution!

·
Registered
17 Posts
When playing music, turn the Idrive controller so it scrolls through to the bottom of the visual boost screen. Options for audio books and podcasts then appear. I do this without thinking so I might have to double check this in the morning!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, thank you all again for your pointers re. podcasts. I'm pleased to say that I've been able to listen to the BBC Global News podcast for the last couple of days, but only, unfortunately, by copying the podcast files to a USB memory stick and playing them direct from that. I had no luck with any of the other methods I tried.

When playing music, turn the Idrive controller so it scrolls through to the bottom of the visual boost screen. Options for audio books and podcasts then appear. I do this without thinking so I might have to double check this in the morning!
You can play them via the Media function with VB and MediaXL It's one of the small icons on the left when you're playing music - change source or something similar.
Thanks, Trombonist and Profiteroles - I've scrolled through all the functions and can't find anything that will take me direct to my podcasts. The "other media" option allows me to choose "audio books", but there's no podcast option. I wondered if this was an interface problem between the Media XL and my new iPhone 6, but it's exactly the same with my iPod classic, which is at least 6 years old.

If I try to access my iPhone via Bluetooth I can play music, but even though I'm able to isolate a "Podcasts" folder by clicking through the iPhone icons displayed on the Central Display, if I click on any of the files stored in that folder it won't play and the system reverts to playing music from the iPhone. All very weird (and frustrating).

I have the podcasts app installed and play them from there.
I don't have the xl just the smaller screen. I have issues getting the iPhone to play items via the minis interface so I select them from the iPhone's app.
With my iPod it works perfectly. I must be an anomaly because I don't hear of many other ppl complaining.
Crimguy - I think I may be the anomaly! I've tried what I think you were suggesting - connected the iPhone to the Mini, opened up the Podcast app on the phone and just played direct from there. At first I thought I'd cracked it - I got sound and podcast artwork on the Mini's central display - but after about a minute of listening strange things started happening with the audio: playback speeded up, and there was a lot of interference. It soon became unlistenable so I switched back to playing the files on my USB stick.

Will persevere: it would be nice not to have to go through the rigmarole of copying podcast files to my USB every morning - but at least I do have the option of this workaround (if all else fails). Especially being an expat, I really look forward to my BBC podcasts in the morning: nothing like it on the radio here in Japan!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shigaman, this frustrated me also and it is even more confusing because there are at least 2 ways to do it (neither of which is obvious).

Here are some screenshots that go along with steps below.
The first way with the USB cable (which it sounds like you have):
1) scroll down to the library icon (see wired1.jpg)
2) click the library icon *and scroll down* and a second icon will appear below it for podcasts (see wired2.jpg)
3) click the podcasts icon (see wired3.jpg)

The second way with enhanced bluetooth (which I'm not sure if you have):
1) click on music search icon (see wireless1.jpg)
2) select your media device (your phone) (see wireless2.jpg)
3) scroll down to podcasts (see wireless3.jpg)

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can anyone can tell me how I can use the Mini audio system to play podcasts stored on my iPhone? I have no problem playing music from it directly by selecting "external devices" in the multimedia menu. But I can't find any way of playing podcasts, which are stored separately in iTunes. I imagine it must be fairly straightforward, but so far it eludes me.
When you plug in the iPhone and music starts playing, open your podcast app (using your iPhone) and press the play button (still on the iPhone). That should do it. It's how I listen podcasts through the USB connection on the base radio every day.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all the input on this. I've more or less cracked it now.

Once you've selected "Other media" audio books is the first one to appear. Scroll down when you see "audio books" and podcasts appears below that.
Thanks, Trombonist. Your message made me go back and take a second look, and, sure enough, if you scroll down in "Other media" the 'podcast' icon appears. Difficult to spot if you don't know it's there (for me at least!)

Shigaman, this frustrated me also and it is even more confusing because there are at least 2 ways to do it (neither of which is obvious).
Thanks, Shoopindy - especially for going to the trouble of including all those screen shots. Now I've been able to play podcasts from both my iPod and my iPhone using the wired route. I've been having a few bluetooth connectivity problems, and that's interfered with podcast listening using the wireless method. I suspect the problem is due to teething problems with the new iPhone 6, but all works fine with the wire now, so no problem. Thanks again.

When you plug in the iPhone and music starts playing, open your podcast app (using your iPhone) and press the play button (still on the iPhone). That should do it. It's how I listen podcasts through the USB connection on the base radio every day.
Thank you, fatherfork - I've tried this too now. I was frustrated last week when I got podcasts to play but only at twice the normal speed, and I assumed this was a problem with the Mini interface. In fact, I discovered the other day that the Podcast app on the iPhone was somehow set to play at 2x the normal speed, and now I've corrected that, no problem. Thanks again. Good to know there is a choice of ways to listen.

I also downloaded the TuneIn radio app via the Mini Connected. This is a fantastic app which works very well with the Mini audio when the phone is connected with the wire. Thanks to this app, I've been able to listen to BBC Radio stations live over the past few days in the car. Fantastic!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use the iCatcher app and I select the podcast on the phone and hit play. The car picks it up and plays the audio. What I can't seem to figure out is how to play/pause anything on my iPhone from any of the car's controls. What am I missing?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use the iCatcher app and I select the podcast on the phone and hit play. The car picks it up and plays the audio. What I can't seem to figure out is how to play/pause anything on my iPhone from any of the car's controls. What am I missing?
Press the power button knob on the head unit. This will mute the audio and also pause playback. Press it again to unmute and play.

It doesn't actually turn off the head unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After some experimentation, I figured out the trick. If you have a podcast paused when you start the car, the system will display the artwork and allow you to control Icatcher . Same goes for YouTube. But if you start a podcast after the car is running, no artwork and no control over anything.

Is this how it is supposed to work? Is there a way to make the system recognize that I have a new podcast/YouTube video?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry Ybormini, I don't know the answer to this, but I have found that the quickest way for me to listen to the podcast I want is to select it on the iPhone and start it playing before starting the car (quicker, I mean, than connecting the iPhone - either via wire or by bluetooth - and then searching through the folders / indexes shown on the Mini display). Very happy to find out this week that this also works via bluetooth for radio channels selected on the TuneIn Radio app (I had assumed the phone had to be connected via the wire to use the TuneIn Radio as part of Mini Connected). Haven't had any luck with getting artwork on the screen for that app though. Would be interested to hear from anyone else who can help cast further light on controlling Podcast playback from the Mini.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, another question around podcasts. My iPhone 5 (running iOS 10.0.2) has the Apple Podcast App and I've previously used the Downcast app and these update as usual when connected to the home wifi. When this same phone then connects via bluetooth or USB the podcasts don't update on the 2014 F56 Mini Cooper menu to reflect the updates on the phone. Car has the basic radio I believe (I bought it at 2 yrs old).

Anyone had this happen before and if so, how did they overcome it? Currently having to control podcasts direct from the phone which sort of goes against the idea of hand free !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts