1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Www.honestjohn.co.uk says hire cars or cars driven by a big variety of people from New are the best runners due varied running in process. You'd think it would be well looked after in terms of fluid top ups so probably better as you say than a used car which depends so much on the owner! However I've seen our local Audi dealers drive their demos. Scarey fast ,illegally so.I wouldn't want one of those! Perhaps some covert observation could be informative!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Demo cars and service loaners definitely take a beating in the few months they're in service, but they are also meticulously cared for in-between users. They're washed, any mechanical issues are fixed right away, as it's in the dealer's best interest to take care of their assets. When they can no longer be used as service loaners (there is a limit), mileage is usually pretty low, they're pretty well specced (at most dealers anyway, to sell potential upgraders on the new tech) and they get sold with good discounts and a full warranty.

Definitely a good deal to consider if you don't want to buy new, but aren't feeling a used car either. They're probably the next best thing to new.

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the loaner cars that I ever used from my Mini Dealer have been in top notch condition inside/out and had nice option packages with it. I just wanted to see if somebody bought a courtesy car and what they think about it. Keep the thoughts coming. I am happy with my 3 Banger but if I find a good deal on the S why not.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Only draw back on courtesy cars is they are considered "in service" the moment they are used as a courtesy car. So if the car is used for 8 months your warranty is shy the mileage and warranty by that amount, even though it is sold as new.

My first new MINI was courtesy, specced out with a ton of options. I emailed the dealer, when it occurred to me that my "new" mini was 8 months old with 3,000 miles. Here is my email to the dealer:

"I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Just a quick question, the car is a new car however was a showroom or display car and had a little over 3,000 miles at the time of delivery. Does the warranty go 36,000 miles from the milage so that I am covered until 39,000 miles?"

Here is the response I received:

Robert,
Your Mini has an in-service date of March (which was 8 months before I bought the car), that is when warranty coverage began.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Peter I am browsing for a 6 Speed and all you find most of the time are auto boxes.:(

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I bought a CPO car. It was a short term lease for an employee of the dealer. Had 5100 miles on it when I took delivery. The warranty is 5yr/75000 miles. Free service for 3yr/36000 miles. Manual trans S with nice options. Only thing missing that I would have ordered is comfort access. I got used to that option with my '07 R56. Not sure what I think about a loaner though. I know i'm not gentle with them when I get one. I've had a couple of manuals as loaners.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VV spotted your S on the other forum nice car like the upgrades you did to the car. The lift sure is handy:)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Www.honestjohn.co.uk says hire cars or cars driven by a big variety of people from New are the best runners due varied running in process. You'd think it would be well looked after in terms of fluid top ups so probably better as you say than a used car which depends so much on the owner! However I've seen our local Audi dealers drive their demos. Scarey fast ,illegally so.I wouldn't want one of those! Perhaps some covert observation could be informative!
Agree with this, and even just from my perspective... When I've had a loan car from MINI - albeit it I've had a fair few, I don't treat it or respect it like I would my own so driving it more aggressively is just part of the parcel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2015 Justa was a service loaner. Had 6100 miles when I bought it last April. I have had the oil changed once and a couple recalls done plus an ECU computer issue (which took 10 days) all serviced so far with no out-of-pocket costs to me (and I got to drive a F56S and a Countryman S as loaners) so I still get the maintenance plan and warranties. I also got the car for $21,500 USD which I thought was an absolute steal. It's not exactly spec'd the way I would want but I absolutely love it. It was clean, no damage (spare a little gouge in the plastic on the rear hatch). I've put about about 8K miles on it myself at this point. I'm certainly thinking about another MINI as my next vehicle and, for that one, I will order it myself with features that I want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts