Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Having owned a F56 Cooper is, I am interested in your views on the JCW compared to a Cooper S.
I sold my S last year and now am looking at aJCW.....
Well, I test drove a 2015 MCS before ordering my 2015 JCW...I loved the MCS, but is there a difference between the two?....YES!! The increased torque in the JCW is immediately noticeable!

Just remember, you can't get the sport suspension in a MCS anymore...only available in the JCW (more food for thought).

John

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I think there is a major difference between the two models. I have driven both on the Indianapolis Speedway in the performance driving classes offered there. Notably, is the top end speed and reaching it. The only way I would get the JCW would be with the 18" wheels. We reached 140 on the Speedway and there is a significant drop in the seat of the pants feel accelerating after that. I didn't have enough straight-a-way left to push it further. Perhaps we can take both cars to one of the Texas Mile type of events and discover the top end of the JCW and the C7! The S can be tuned and modified to produce JCW performance if you are willing to spend the money, but why if you are going to order a new one? I am having the JCW pro exhaust added this year to improve the horsepower and the sound under power. They may offer the performance exhaust at some point for the JCW, it is available now for the 4 door carbon edition. I am getting ready to swap out the runflats now for some Michelin Pilot Super Sports which significantly improve the ride and handling.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The cooper s can be tuned to 280 wheel hp without no problems.
Stage 2 even more than 300.

I have a 14' cooper s f 56. Manual with sport suspension.

Unless you really want to pay more for a jcw i don't get wy not having an s with mods (exhaust,brakes,tune)
Other than a little different engine/ brakes they are the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
Night and day difference in favour of the jcw

But you can pay for a lot of aftermarket stuff with the price difference

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Faster, more torquey engine out of the factory, MUCH better brakes (Brembos), and standard sport suspension. Despite the fact that, yes, you can put a tuning chip and brake kit, and aftermarket suspension on a Cooper S, there's something to be said to have all that on the car already, tuned to factory spec, and ready to go.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Faster, more torquey engine out of the factory, MUCH better brakes (Brembos), and standard sport suspension. Despite the fact that, yes, you can put a tuning chip and brake kit, and aftermarket suspension on a Cooper S, there's something to be said to have all that on the car already, tuned to factory spec, and ready to go.
Plus, when you get right down to "money", and you can resist a lot of options & accessories on a JCW build, an MCS with a lot of add-ons and accessories can end up costing "more" than a base JCW!...and you still won't have that awesome out-of-the box JCW powerplant, brakes & suspension!

·
Registered
217 Posts
And... with the $399 NM Engineering Power Module, you can basically add another 30-45hp to your JCW with no apparent downside (depending on the grade of fuel available in your country).

Totally agree about the brakes btw. Though the huge Brembos make it difficult to find nice aftermarket wheels, their fade-free, perfectly modulated braking power is right up there with the best of my previous cars (BMW M3, BMW M135, Porsche Boxtser S, Renault Megane Trophy R). To tell the truth, I actually think the JCW brakes might be even a shade better - they are so tactile and responsive (maybe due to the light weight and short wheel base?) that it gives me more confidence in the curves than some of the other cars... :)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Minis are a great sports car value even though they are continually increasing the price. But, that is capitalism, whatever, the market will bear. Actually, of all the vehicles I have had over the years, 5 decades, the Mini JCW has become my favorite. I can still handle it adequately at my age and have fun pushing the mini to its limits occasionally. I can't do that in the C7 unless it is in a straight line, but I must admit 190 is thrilling speed even in a straight line. However, I can actually have more fun running the mini at much lower speeds in twisties and challenging course tracks. Thank you John Cooper and now BMW as they have made it a better performing car. I hope to continue driving minis for a good number of years. My first car was a ragged out Austin Healey 100-6 and I loved it, but spent more time working on it than driving it, but I enjoyed that too, it was a great car as well. Apologies for the old motorhead digression!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah I have a 14 mcs and was considering bringing it back, I have it 6months and try to get into a JCW. But thinking about it for a while now I decided to stay with the S. Ordering the NM power module next week, with an exhaust following

·
Registered
217 Posts
Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The B48 is an amazing power plant and can most likely exceed 300 HP with tuning and tweaking, but not that much in the mini as you are limited by the drive train's ability to withstand torque and horsepower. I don't know how much the drive train can take, but surely more than the 231 or 228 that is produced by the JCW as the GP will definitely be more than that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got an MCS with 17" wheels with Dunlop Sportmaxx tyres and tbh it struggles sometimes to put the power down and are curious to know how you guys with JCW's cope with the additional power/torque.
IMHO I think a LSD should have been offered but that may be me......what you guys think?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.