Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy time fly,s when you drive a Mini got mine now for a little more than 13 month and thought I throw the question out to see how happy you still are after 1 Year+ of Ownership what about the Dealer what needs improving on your car planing on selling upgrading etc etc ?????

Still love my Mini but... down the road I would like to upgrade to a MCS or JCW.

My Dealer has been fantastic over the last 13 month and my Mini only went in for the Recall and oil changes.:)

One thing I would like to see change with the Mini Buying Experience get away from buying packages when you spec your car. Give me a list to choice from I do not like to buy Package A just to get 1 or 2 options I want.

Another thing would be great if all the plastic panels (wheel arches plastic etc etc) would have the same color like body because after 1 year in the AZ they start to look a little worn out. Otherwise no complains with the car.:)

· Registered
769 Posts
My dealer sent me a happy anniversary email a few days back, a year does fly by, which means I'll soon have to pay our ridiculous yearly registration fees.
Still love with my MCS, with no thought of changing up. Having said that, if I did it over again might not spec the Dynamic Dampeners. They preform great and I have no issues with them but I have an issue being locked into them and not having the option to change them out if I want to. The JCW Pro coil overs weren't announced yet and I didn't really think that far in advance.

Don't let the dealer push packages on you. I spec'd the HK radio standalone without taking a package and even ordered mine with the black line headlight/tail light rings and carbon fiber hood scoop. I think you can pick just about every option standalone and don't have to pick a package.

Reactions: Evlkarl

· Registered
407 Posts
I'm still loving it, while trying to avoid other drivers on Italian roads like the plague. Between inattentive hoards of bicycle riders, European motorcyclists, and self centered iPhone earplug wearing Italian drivers, it's a constant battle

· Registered
174 Posts
I'm still loving it, while trying to avoid other drivers on Italian roads like the plague. Between inattentive hoards of bicycle riders, European motorcyclists, and self centered iPhone earplug wearing Italian drivers, it's a constant battle
Ah Rome, Naples very entertaining even when just in a taxi! Milan last month much more composed - the Northerner! Also the cobbled roads, not really suitable for sports suspension.

· Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
Don't start souper his threads with his faults are already on here. Totally wonderful car best I've ever had so far ,1 1/2 years old and 12000 miles in after a check over to sort the door seals my dealer tells me the tyres are all evenly worn brake pads are.9 mm all round and started at 12,and they're changing the rear shocks as a precuation as they thought they heard a knock on their test run .they're going to do the top mounts too and a courtesy car comes as standard. I am very impressed.

· Registered
1,896 Posts
We have not had it a year yet, ordered it in July and picked it up the end of October. So far it is a love affair and the little beast is the best mini to-date even with its flaws. Mini touts make it your own, but within their limits. Better build your own software that is not as difficult to navigate and understand and less combo options would be fine if they offer additional individual ordering options. One big complaint is the lack of OEM tire options. I am not a run crap fan and would like to be able to order some performance tires already on the car. However, mass production has limits and this keeps production costs down, but they do offer factory specifications, port and dealer changes as well, so it should not be too big a job to implement some changes. They do push the uniquely yours marketing. I would prefer a usefully yours slogan!

· Registered
998 Posts
still love mine after 1.5 years & 18000 miles. still makes me proud to look at & puts a grin on my face when i get to drive it the way it should be driven. the previous 7 years were in a MX-5/Miata & i haven't missed it for a moment

· Registered
1,896 Posts
A lot of people still can't understand why I love driving the mini more than the corvette. My reply is go drive one and find out for yourself. It is simply put, more fun. I don't think I have had any car that gave me more pleasure than the mini. Perhaps my first car love affair with my Austin Healey, but I didn't enjoy fixing it continuously, so no, it's the mini!

· Registered
23 Posts
The car is subjectively delightful.

It can be objectively stated that in my opinion, the car is subjectively delightful...

I'm at 10 months\9000 miles, and my feelings haven't changed much. My frog on wheels is still a joy to drive, and while I wouldn't bother defending it's relative value vs a VW Golf, I also don't feel like I'm compromising too much for the fun. I do wish the ride was better. Ditching the run flats may help a bit, but this is the first car I've ever had where I really like the OEM wheels, and don't want to risk a tire shop hacking them up.

· Registered
120 Posts
My MCS was a year old in January and I still always look forward to taking her out for a spin :) i love the handling, and have even gotten used to the stiffer suspension. Having solid steering and road grip in sun and rain is excellent. The HK sound system is wonderful. It's also a nice bonus to be able to get into just about any parking spot, and still have a boot large enough for a normal load of groceries or a few suitcases.

It's nice to hear people who have ridden with me say it's a fun car and that it's "adorable" The only complaints have been from the boyfriend, who has said the faux leather sports seat grabs at his shirt and is too narrow for his shoulders. (He has a valid gripe there).

There have been two issues the dealer had to fix, which they were very good about. The first was an early failure of some of the fuel injectors, so it was a hassle, but fortunately fixed in just a few days. The other was a minor creaking, which there was a bulletin about, and just needed parts replaced. The dealer visits have not dampened my enjoyment of my Cooper at all.

My only real complaint, that I know has frustrated others, is the ah...less than optimal experience of the Connected software with Android. It doesn't provide anything terribly useful and what is there is clunky. Sound connectivity sometimes just flat refuses to work. I wind up listening to music or podcasts from my phone over bluetooth.

Overall, I still love this thing & look forward to quite a few more years with it.

· Registered
1,896 Posts
The car is subjectively delightful.

It can be objectively stated that in my opinion, the car is subjectively delightful...

I'm at 10 months\9000 miles, and my feelings haven't changed much. My frog on wheels is still a joy to drive, and while I wouldn't bother defending it's relative value vs a VW Golf, I also don't feel like I'm compromising too much for the fun. I do wish the ride was better. Ditching the run flats may help a bit, but this is the first car I've ever had where I really like the OEM wheels, and don't want to risk a tire shop hacking them up.
A good set of tires will make a lot more difference in the ride than you might think. More quite, better grip, and a significantly better ride. If you are not performance driving the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s are a great tire. I had them on my R56 and loved them so much I put them on the C7, but it has too much power and torque for them and I am switching to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

· Registered
769 Posts
Another thing would be great if all the plastic panels (wheel arches plastic etc etc) would have the same color like body because after 1 year in the AZ they start to look a little worn out. Otherwise no complains with the car.:)
The desert sun is brutal on them.
Give Mothers M Tech Protectant a go, works really well on the F56 and the R50. I apply it to the wheels and black trims with a sponge, let it sit for a bit then wipe the excess off with a paper towel. It lasts a few washes too, I apply it once a month or so.

Reactions: Evlkarl

· Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
believe me a change from run c's to decent tyres make a huge difference. A decent tyre Shop will never damage your rims.look for those with electric machines for removal and who use stick on weights to balance. If not walk away.

· Registered
85 Posts
My dealer sent me a happy anniversary email a few days back, a year does fly by, which means I'll soon have to pay our ridiculous yearly registration fees.
Still love with my MCS, with no thought of changing up. Having said that, if I did it over again might not spec the Dynamic Dampeners. They preform great and I have no issues with them but I have an issue being locked into them and not having the option to change them out if I want to. The JCW Pro coil overs weren't announced yet and I didn't really think that far in advance.

Don't let the dealer push packages on you. I spec'd the HK radio standalone without taking a package and even ordered mine with the black line headlight/tail light rings and carbon fiber hood scoop. I think you can pick just about every option standalone and don't have to pick a package.
The JCW pro coilovers do not have a part # for the dynamic dampers - but the KW V1-3 (the JCW Pro is a KW V1 with less height adjustment and without the INOX coating) does have a consideration for deletion of DDC. It's basically an electric resistor.

· Registered
5 Posts
Love my F56!

I've owned many many cars over the years and really believe this is the most fun I've had out of any of them! I have had Gaby 9 months now (6K miles) and she's performed wonderful. I try to let anyone who's curious or skeptical about her, drive her and they are all impressed. Luckily, I don't have to spend a lot of time in L.A. traffic and driving her around CA has been great.

My only complaint, other than having to get used to the "Mini-isms", is that I really believe the sales experience is missing out on a great many opportunities to WOW more people into the Mini. I work for a Virgin company and am probably spoiled to the way folks could or should be treated to a unique experience versus the American car buying experience. I know it's dealer specific but they could really hit a thread of people who shy away for the wrong reasons. Perhaps this will change...

Other than that, I plan on doing MTTS with my teenage son this summer and am looking forward to really opening her up. Should be a great experience.

· Registered
375 Posts
I will be able to tell you in 4 months but so far it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it and I can't imagine that will change after my first year. Sometimes I kind of feel sorry for people that never had the chance to experience the MINI fever.

I had a MINI but due family planning I switched to BMW, which was not a punishment, but I never lost the MINI itch. After we bought my wife s nice family car I had a good reason to change the keys of the BMW for a pair of MINI keys. No regrets whatsoever.

Always sad to hear stories of people with issues and problems but but I still believe there are more good MINI's out there than bad ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.