Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, love my 3 month old, manual, white silver jcw!!

Just turned 1500 miles, run in carefully till 1200. Just wondering what sort of mileage till the engine releases it's true potential and full power? Feels nice and quick in the lower gears just not maybe quite that quick on motorway in higher gears yet?

·
Registered
320 Posts
6 weeks in 1800 miles, carefully run in until about 1200 or so like you. Feels like its getting sharper at the top end of the RPM to me, but maybe I'm just pushing it harder. Agree with what you and the others say, crackles and pops most definitely getting louder and louder in sport mode. I test nearly everyday under a local motorway underpass so I know! I have absolutely no issue with pickup in 5th at motorway speeds..... :rolleyes:

Reactions: TonyJames

·
Registered
45 Posts
after 650km... engine stop start started kicking in.

Prior to hitting 650km, I noticed no difference whether the engine auto off at idle was activated, nor deactivated.

After 650km or so, it began working as it was supposed to be.

I really don't have much mileage since new (less than two months since taking delivery), approximately 790km or so.

I am assuming the BMW engineers are dialed in some fuzzy logic with the ECU in stages, as the vehicle goes through it's various break in period.

I have other more pressing issues, like the passenger seat, seat belt chime, and the tear in the rear seat passenger compartment.

Cheers,

·
Registered
77 Posts
Prior to hitting 650km, I noticed no difference whether the engine auto off at idle was activated, nor deactivated.

After 650km or so, it began working as it was supposed to be.

I really don't have much mileage since new (less than two months since taking delivery), approximately 790km or so.

I am assuming the BMW engineers are dialed in some fuzzy logic with the ECU in stages, as the vehicle goes through it's various break in period.

I have other more pressing issues, like the passenger seat, seat belt chime, and the tear in the rear seat passenger compartment.

Cheers,
The start-stop feature should work right away but needs near full charge on the battery. I've also noticed in very hot weather it deactivates, perhaps to keep the engine or turbo cooler.

Most cars need several thousand miles to fully run-in and produce their best efficiency. I've seen a Mustang V8 running smoother after 6k miles with the fuel leaning out and mileage & power increasing :D

·
Registered
768 Posts
The start-stop feature should work right away but needs near full charge on the battery. I've also noticed in very hot weather it deactivates, perhaps to keep the engine or turbo cooler.
Auto start-stop will not activate under certain circumstances; if the external temperature is hot and the air con is running, the engine is not up to operating temperature, and others. There's a list in the manual, but those are the ones I can remember. If I remember correctly turning the wheel will start the car back up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll continue putting the miles on mine then I'm sure it'll loosen up more and get even faster.
In the future be nice if there was a mini approved re map that wouldn't invaldate the warranty, very doubtful i know!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
You can get more power with a remap as opposed to the module, but for $400 US the NM module is worth it. It is a 10 minute install/uninstall and you should achieve an additional 30 horsepower and if you add the performance exhaust you will get 10 more horsepower + or -. This is with 92-93 octane fuel and you have a switch on the module if you run 95 + that will give you even more. I haven't tried that yet and when I am close to a station where I can get it I will give it a try and then dyno it to see what it is. Most likely I will just stick with the setup that I currently have as it provides me with all the performance I really want. I may try the coil overs to see how much it improves handling and then I might change my mind about more power although I doubt it. The module and the exhaust turned it into a rip snorting, wheel spinning, and very fast little beast.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have a manual and auto stop/start isn't activated....I hate that feature! Had my car on the lift for the first time last week & it still looks like it has just come off the production line....complete with all the chalk marks on the underpinnings! But, after a year I'm still under 700 miles too! I need to change my oil soon anyway since its been a year. As for power my mechanic shared with me a source where I can buy 106 octane low lead aircraft fuel so that would be cool to try but I'll likely try that on my vintage Bimmers only...good for the old engines! NM module is something I'll definitely look into once I drive my JCW more, but for now I love it as is...plenty fast for me! ;-). Btw, my independent BMW mechanic was impressed with the engineering on the new MINI...he's not a fan of older Gen Mini's....he prefers the BMW lineage in this MINI! He was also impressed with the huge heat sinks on the back of the led headlights! Would be interested if you try high octane fuel with the NM module!

Reactions: KYDan

·
Registered
320 Posts
In the future be nice if there was a mini approved re map that wouldn't invaldate the warranty, very doubtful i know!
Yeah, a nice round 250 - 275 to keep my pesky Golf R mate quiet.... All go, no show ;) Looses me on the straights....

Reactions: jeremybingham
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.