Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to always use a 3rd party USB charger in the cigarette lighter port for charging my phone because most car USB ports don't provide enough power for a fast charge - usually they trickle charge your phone or just keep the battery steady.

In my new Cooper S (F55 S) I noticed I can take advantage of more advanced trip stats and my parking location via Mini Connected if I plug into the car's internal USB port while driving, so I have started to do this. Now if I have been plugged into the USB port, when I open the connected app on my phone after leaving my car I can see how many gallons of fuel I have left, where I parked, and how my MPG varied for different legs of my trip.

I am wondering though if the internal USB port will charge my phone more slowly than my 3rd party charger in the cigarette lighter port.
Does anybody know how much current Mini's USB provides? I assume it is more than 2 amps since my phone seems to charge at a reasonable rate, but could it be 3 amps?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It's much lower - it only outputs about 700mA. It's almost always faster to use a 3rd party plug in charger that can output at least 1.2A, if not 2.1A. Keep in mind, unless you're talking about Fast Charge, most phones won't take more than 2.1A at 5V.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's much lower - it only outputs about 700mA. It's almost always faster to use a 3rd party plug in charger that can output at least 1.2A, if not 2.1A. Keep in mind, unless you're talking about Fast Charge, most phones won't take more than 2.1A at 5V.
The iPhone 6 and 6s take about 3 amps max I believe, same as an iPad but I could be wrong.

Are you sure it's only 700mA? It seems to charge much faster than my Girlfriend's Mazda which I believe is about 0.7A so I assumed the Mini was more.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The iPhone 6 and 6s take about 3 amps max I believe, same as an iPad but I could be wrong.

Are you sure it's only 700mA? It seems to charge much faster than my Girlfriend's Mazda which I believe is about 0.7A so I assumed the Mini was more.
I was wrong, the new iPhones can charge at 2.1A not 3A. I was thinking anecdotally that my Mini's post must be able to supply 2.1A since it seemed to charge while the Mazda port just kind of keeps the battery where it is, but who knows.
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/22/iphone-6-and-6-plus-charging/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Gracias amigo. I couldn't do that test since I do t have an android phone. That's what I wanted to know.

You are welcome. Actually I did it with an iPhone app. The name is Battery Life, it has a green icon.

I was about to edit my post to clarify that corriente máxima del cargador means maximum charger current , but I think you already figured it out.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are welcome. Actually I did it with an iPhone app. The name is Battery Life, it has a green icon.

I was about to edit my post to clarify that corriente máxima del cargador means maximum current charger, but j think you already figured it out.

Si, comprendo! :)

I thought that there weren't any iPhone apps around that would report on charger current. This is cool. I'll have to download Battery Life.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Does anybody know how much current Mini's USB provides?
I saw the iOS screencaps and thought, "Surely not! It's 2016! It's gotta be higher than 1A !"

Grabbed my most reliable and accurate USB port monitor and my best 30cm 28/24 AWG USB to micro USB cable.

After 18 minutes of testing, the sad old port in my F56 had maxed-out at 1.12A. Pic attached.

MINI/BMW, in case your're listening, I'm not angry just disappointed (very).

If there are any clever, entrepreneurial-type electronics folks listening, I'd be willing to pay up to USD50.00 for a 2A (preferably 2.4A) snap-in replacement for the original USB/AUX-IN socket p/n 84109229246. Please ping me when it's ready. ;)

Of course, I'm presuming the voltage regulator is immediately behind the socket and the 5V is not coming from the wiring harness. The solution would be something like this one for Toyota vehicles.

DJ

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I downloaded the same app but I just see "battery charge", "capacity", "Voltage", and "Charging state". Not current (it's currently plugged in). Did you have to do anything special to get that?

Is it this one?

Once you plug in your charger go to battery-> data and press the refresh button in the upper right, the one with the circular arrow. That should do the trick.

Btw, I'm using an iPhone 6s with iOS 9.3.2, I don't know if that's relevant.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I saw the iOS screencaps and thought, "Surely not! It's 2016! It's gotta be higher than 1A !"

Grabbed my most reliable and accurate USB port monitor and my best 30cm 28/24 AWG USB to micro USB cable.

After 18 minutes of testing, the sad old port in my F56 had maxed-out at 1.12A. Pic attached.

If there are any clever, entrepreneurial-type electronics folks listening, I'd be willing to pay up to USD50.00 for a 2A (preferably 2.4A) snap-in replacement for the original USB/AUX-IN socketp/n 84109229246. Please ping me when it's ready. ;)

Of course, I'm presuming the voltage regulator is immediately behind the socket and the 5V is not coming from the wiring harness.

DJ

Yeah I know it's freakin 2016 for god's sake! We all use power hungry devices!

I know you can buy a good high capacity quality charger (eg. Anker) for about 15 usd and plug it to the 12v outlet. But then you would be missing audio trough usb or the beautiful Spotify integration with VB.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is it this one?

Once you plug in your charger go to battery-> data and press the refresh button in the upper right, the one with the circular arrow. That should do the trick.

Btw, I'm using an iPhone 6s with iOS 9.3.2, I don't know if that's relevant.

Hm does not show up for me but maybe it's because I'm using iOS 10 which is still in beta. Thanks for checking!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

If there are any clever, entrepreneurial-type electronics folks listening, I'd be willing to pay up to USD50.00 for a 2A (preferably 2.4A) snap-in replacement for the original USB/AUX-IN socketp/n 84109229246. Please ping me when it's ready. ;)

Of course, I'm presuming the voltage regulator is immediately behind the socket and the 5V is not coming from the wiring harness. The solution would be something like this one for Toyota vehicles.

DJ

Awesome that you had one of those testers handy. Thanks so much for looking into it for me.

I guess I'll just use my cigarette lighter USB charger when the battery is low and regular USB port when I wanna use my mini connected features.

One thing I really like is I can now send an address from Apple maps to my mini Nav system using the "journey mate" app but only via USB.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Here you go, it is 1A

Good to know - thought it was lower. Maybe I was thinking about the 2nd gen MINIs....

I never use Connected, but I ever do need to charge my phone, I have a plug in charger with one port doing Fast Charge for my S7 Edge and another doing 2.1A for my passenger's phones

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good to know - thought it was lower. Maybe I was thinking about the 2nd gen MINIs....

I never use Connected, but I ever do need to charge my phone, I have a plug in charger with one port doing Fast Charge for my S7 Edge and another doing 2.1A for my passenger's phones

Yeah! One of the 2 things I miss from Android is quick charge! (Every brand calls it in a different way) it's amazing!

Certainly, when connected to a 2.4A charger newer iPhones charge with a very respectable speed too.

The other thing (in case you were wondering) is having a f%}^n decent alarm app! Stock one is so primitive and 3rd parties are useless.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.